• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    My Brother in Law asked me about this. He and my sister are going Long trip in RV to include:

OH
    IN
    IL
    WI
    MN
    SD
    IA
    NE
    MT
    WY
    UT
    CO
    NM
    AZ
    TX
    OK
    MO
    TN
    KY

He wants to carry a shotgun. I did a little reading and you can carry it across states if it is unloaded, locked up not near driver or passengers, with key not easily accessible. lot of good that would do you. But I guess while driving isn't that much concern. More concerned about parked overnight. From what I read, you need to obey state and local laws of wherever you are at that time. I suggest he get a copy of Traveler's Guide to Firearm Laws of the 50 states.

https://www.gunlawguide.com/?v=2320...dI6106bpJ1HOOBWRSKyqIUTpY6UQ4sihoCFX0QAvD_BwE

Any other info would be appreciated. He has PA CC permit. But wants shotgun in RV.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not going to tell someone what to do carrying while driving/travel.
    I do know not to consent to a search.
    Unless he is transporting drugs, there is absolutely zero reason for a cop to go into that RV during a traffic stop for speeding.
    But I would break it down and separate the parts while driving and assemble it when I overnight somewhere.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I believe once it's hooked up to power and sewer etc it's considered a home not a vehicle.

I'd just leave it in the back, have it unloaded when in transit and loaded when camping. Should be as simple as that.

Most of those states look pretty friendly with a couple exceptions.

And checking as suggested with the guides is good too.

Myself, I wouldn't overthink it but that's just me.

IANAL

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I not feeling up to doing the homework , but their Is an answer .

Handgunlaw dot US has available on their site all of the relevant firearms laws for every state . Usual disclaimer - don't rely on any third party website , and verify directly . That said Handgunlaw makes greater efforts to be accurate and follow the latest changes moreso than all the other similar websites .

And then look up each of the states in question .

Off the top of my head , Illinois he could drive THRU , but staying there could have issues .

The thing about RV's is ( semi- generally ) when in motion , they are a motor vehicle , when you are stationary and ( being domestic ) , they are a domicile . But there is variation between States as to the fine print details .

And it's not your ( your friends ) original question , but most of those states are possible to have recripical handgun carry privileges with a well placed Non Res Permit or two , and ironically have fewer legal issues than a shotgun .

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Approves

hunt05.jpg

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    yes, I thought same thing about having a concealed carry permit, which is why I mentioned it. I don't know off hand which states accept PA. Not one of the ones that I think of people getting for use in other states. I can look that up. But he wanted shotgun. I told him that is going to really tear up the inside of RV. A well placed 9mm hollowpoint won't do that, LOL.

but with long guns, lot of states have open carry I believe. But I don't know how that applies to being in vehicle? OK to walk down street with loaded long gun but not drive in RV? This is just such a pain with all states and municipalities having their own little constitutional infringements.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    yes, I thought same thing about having a concealed carry permit, which is why I mentioned it. I don't know off hand which states accept PA. Not one of the ones that I think of people getting for use in other states. I can look that up. But he wanted shotgun. I told him that is going to really tear up the inside of RV. A well placed 9mm hollowpoint won't do that, LOL.

but with long guns, lot of states have open carry I believe. But I don't know how that applies to being in vehicle? OK to walk down street with loaded long gun but not drive in RV? This is just such a pain with all states and municipalities having their own little constitutional infringements.

With his PA CC, he would be covered in most of those states. At first glance it looks like IL, NM, NE, MN would be the only problems. See map below from https://handgunlaw.us/.

Having a resident PA CC permit he is good everywhere but the red states.

In addition to what you said about the shotgun... it isn't going to be useful while driving, setting up camp, breaking down camp, making grocery store runs, etc. I would plan on CC a pistol WHERE LEGAL and thoroughly investigating the laws in the other states. Some may allow vehicle carry even though they don't recogize the permit. IL, on the other hand, he will probably have to transport per FOPA rules. I would drive through that commie outpost without stopping. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-02-14-41-48-1.jpg
      Screenshot_2021-07-02-14-41-48-1.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 704
    Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    MN allows unloaded firearms in vehicles:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/Permit-to-Carry-FAQ.aspx
    When is a permit to carry not required?
    A permit to carry is not required of a person: (Minnesota Statute 624.714 Subd. 9)
    To keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol; To carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
    To carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
    To carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area;
    To transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, or securely tied package

NM allows permitless carry of loaded firearm in vehicle:

https://www.dps.nm.gov/concealed-carry-faqs
    Do I have to be licensed to have a concealed loaded handgun inside my vehicle?
    No. New Mexico law allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited to have a concealed loaded firearm in his/her vehicle (including motorcycles and bicycles). If you are not licensed to carry concealed in this State or in a state that NM recognizes, you may not have the weapon concealed on your person when you exit your vehicle or motorcycle.

NE didn't have any easy to find answer and I'm not bothering with IL.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Might also matter what sort of RV it is. A Class A, for example, is like a bus; the vehicle and the “home” are one in the same. A travel trailer is different; the detached TT is clearly much more a special purpose domicile.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Might also matter what sort of RV it is. A Class A, for example, is like a bus; the vehicle and the “home” are one in the same. A travel trailer is different; the detached TT is clearly much more a special purpose domicile.
    It's not a"home" when moving across state lines.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All the fvvking advice here is total shit.
    Do what he wants and don't consent to a search. That's it.
    If they do an illegal search, then whatever is found from that illegal search is fruit of the poison tree and not admissable.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If they do an illegal search, then whatever is found from that illegal search is fruit of the poison tree and not admissable.

Unless it’s not an illegal search…

RV being treated as domicile laws are tricky and require a lot of research. They are also typically conditional on certain things and depend on the state.

Likelihood of getting caught, extremely low.

I still wouldn’t play tourist in states I knew having a long gun without a permit was a crime.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

With all due respect Balster, calling it "total shit" is a bit over the top. That said, I agree with the sentiment and posted same/similar that my safety and the safety of loved ones takes precedent in this nutso world.:beer:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    IL and WI would be a No-Go for me. The other I believe would be less problematic. Unloaded barrel removed while moving assembled and loaded when parked for the night.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    You get popped for speeding in your RV and you could be searched on some ******** PC especially if that jurisdiction is still using civil forfeiture to raise municipal revenues.

There’s been cases especially on I-10 and other major drug corridors of cash and other personal belongings such as legally owned guns being seized by the local versions of Buford T Justice and Boss Hogg.

Sure they’re violating your 4A Rights but what are you going to do standing on the side of the road facing down their guns and tin badges.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think another issue that's not being discussed in just saying "Don't consent to searches" is what if, G-d forbid, the OP"s BIL has to have a non-lethal use of force incident?

The criminal then calls the police and says the BIL was brandishing a gun and he didn't do anything wrong?

Or some anti-gun police officer or DA agrees that the use of force or display of force was legal, but they will want to press charges for the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom