• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000H7N26A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_1EVB5TFJCH2H7MD6TEZS

Kind've surprised nobody mentioned bear spray yet. Surprisingly effective against bears when compared to any handgun.

OP is apparently more worried about people than wildlife as a threat, per post #22. Hope they post where they're actually camping as I would like to avoid it if people are that much more of a threat there.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000H7N26A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_1EVB5TFJCH2H7MD6TEZS

Kind've surprised nobody mentioned bear spray yet. Surprisingly effective against bears when compared to any handgun.

I've mentioned it here in the past. I'm usually assured by some resident expert that it's wildly ineffective. The fact that I know of multiple people who have used it successfully is irrelevant.

Unrelated, I'm pretty sure the OP is just looking for a reason to buy a new .45.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because the OP asked about advice regard .45acp pistols for a somewhat ambiguous purpose , not open ended question about bear precautions. To be fair , not ambiguous per se , but this is a subject with lots of nuances and contexts .

MDS being MDS , discussing other cals that would fit into general catagory of " similar size, weight, recoil level , suitable for general usage , Plus some degree of Bear capabilities " would be relatively on topic .

Per Scout308 above ;

Two legged threats are more likely than bears even in Eastern US bear. Territory . But the woods aren't overly dangerous compared to typical urban/ suburban areas , but the human risks are greater than zero . ( I say this as someone who had a close bear encounter . But I've also seen groups of rowdy violent drunks , and sketchy guys who looked like about to have a drug meet . Clandestine pot growers , mobile meth cookers , stripping stolen vehicles , all like to use isolated parts of public lands to do their things , which can overlap with hikers , hunters, backcountry campers prefered areas .)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With absolutely no disrespect to Pinecone's dad (I'm sure he very sensibly took a .30-06)...

Anyone attempting to recreationally hunt a grizzly with a .45 is no loss to the gene pool when they get eaten.

Just to be clear, my Dad DID NOT PARTICIPATE.

One of his buddies was part of the group that did.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I see two ways to look at it.

If you are serious about bear protection, you need to go big and powerful and HEAVY.

If you are mainly worried about 2 legged predators, might as well go 9mm carry gun. Smaller, lighter for day in day out, but enough to take care if things. And if a bear comes, maybe enough to convince it to leave.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Wilderness i carry two guns One being a heavy caliber and one at least a 9mm . (that is bear country) any other places i am a .45 Glock . I carried my .44 mag revolver in a chest pack i leave slightly open in corner so i can put my thumb in and remove gun easier sort of rip it open .

The chest rig allows the revolver to be center of my chest for easy access .

walt54th

Sep 11, 2017
    Sig 227 is a choice

It’s no longer offered new from Sig, but it’s a 10 rnd version of the 220. I do like my CZ97 too, but as others have noted, it’s big and heavy. If you can get past ugly, Glock 21 (which you can convert to 10mm configuration) has the capacity and is easy to carry. I also like an old EAA Witness that I’ve got .45 and 10mm top ends for. These are probably cheaper than many more current options.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    IF you're camping anywhere there's Bear & or Moose IMHO I would not pack any semi-auto.

IF you're not packing a bolt action rifle no less than .30 caliber minimum...

I'd pack a revolver, .357 Mag bare minimum...

In bear & or moose country your first shot better be your best shot as you're unlikely to get more than 2 shots.

There have been exceptions to that general rule, but I personally won't risk my life in that scenario one for the fail to feed possibility unique to semi autos and two there's not a lot of semi autos to choose from that feed Magnum Cartridges. Probably the most comfortable to shoot Magnum Semi Auto is the gas fed .475 Wildey Magnum. I can shoot mine all day one handed, the Wildey is just plain fun to shoot. I can't say the same for my .44 mag & .50 ae desert eagles or my .357,.44,.500 S&W Magnum Revolvers.

IF you won't be in bear & or moose country I like a real american steel 1911 in .45 acp; a double stack if you can find one and you don't have small hands.

Lot of Glock and S&W options in .45 acp IF the plastic fantastics are more your flavor.

10mm is an 1911 option or a glock/s&w option too but ammo is/was more expensive and less available than .45acp before China Backed Second Amendment haters stole the whitehouse, U.S. house, senate and state & local seats coast to coast in 2020.

Absolute Proof of Unprecedented,
    Pre-Planned, Widespread, Systemic, Election Results Changing Election Fraud In 2020:
    https://lindelltv.com/

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just watch out for those smarter than the average bears.

They probably know how to use cover, concealment and be willing to use their little buddy as a shield if necessary.

1n4y9db05no01.jpg

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Well not to be argumentative and I wont argue But I was LE for 25 years and carried quite a few firearms from 38 spec and up. I was /am a NRA certified Pistol and MD W & C and and a bunch of other degrees but don't consider me an expert. My experience landed me on a Baretta 92 F while a LE, I felt it was the best firearm for self defense and was pretty good with it. I experienced with a 45, 40 and a lot of others. I settled for a 45, then I went for a 40cal and several others and came to a conclusion the 40 & 45 was a bit much for what I wanted. I tried a Glock 19 and couldn't believe the difference it made in my shot placement. In fact I had to shoot it 4-5 times before I came to the conclusion the Glock made the difference. Now I'm and instructor as well as user and always taught it is the shooter not the firearm. So I decided to do a little research and was convinced it the firearm made the difference. That being said there a lot of manufactures that make good firearms and a person has to experience shooting different brands. I also realized the grip,shape and ergonomics played quite a difference as well. So I settled for a Glock 19. That is the firearm I carry concealed everytime I venture iut. I also experimented with different ammo when I stumbled upon a powerful 9mm round a 9MM +p round. It has a 50gr bullet and with the +p travels 2000FPS and delivers a devastating blow. It is made by Liberty Civil Defense. Check this link out and see. Done by a redneck lime me and decide. You must decide what you want. Oh BTW if you try this ammo MAKE SURE YOU FIREARM WILL HANDLE +P. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...40F80E3789AAC43A982840F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    THIs POST NEEDS DELETED AS I DID NOT POST THE VIDEO

Well not to be argumentative and I wont argue But I was LE for 25 years and carried quite a few firearms from 38 spec and up. I was /am a NRA certified Pistol and MD W & C and and a bunch of other degrees but don't consider me an expert. My experience landed me on a Baretta 92 F while a LE, I felt it was the best firearm for self defense and was pretty good with it. I experienced with a 45, 40 and a lot of others. I settled for a 45, then I went for a 40cal and several others and came to a conclusion the 40 & 45 was a bit much for what I wanted. I tried a Glock 19 and couldn't believe the difference it made in my shot placement. In fact I had to shoot it 4-5 times before I came to the conclusion the Glock made the difference. Now I'm and instructor as well as user and always taught it is the shooter not the firearm. So I decided to do a little research and was convinced it the firearm made the difference. That being said there a lot of manufactures that make good firearms and a person has to experience shooting different brands. I also realized the grip,shape and ergonomics played quite a difference as well. So I settled for a Glock 19. That is the firearm I carry concealed everytime I venture iut. I also experimented with different ammo when I stumbled upon a powerful 9mm round a 9MM +p round. It has a 50gr bullet and with the +p travels 2000FPS and delivers a devastating blow. It is made by Liberty Civil Defense. Check this link out and see. Done by a redneck lime me and decide. You must decide what you want. Oh BTW if you try this ammo MAKE SURE YOU FIREARM WILL HANDLE +P. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...40F80E3789AAC43A982840F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

THE ADDEDED VIDEO WAS NOT POSTED BY ME IT NEEDS DELETED

FOR SOME REASON VIDEO IS GONE .DON'T UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON.

Last edited:

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    camping where? Handgun against kodiaks, grizzlies etc? - nope. I have pics of the remains of the guy who emptied his 357 revolver into or at the bear which survived and ate most of him. Later the bear was killed by a hunter and puzzled over the extra bullet holes in the bear. I agree with others about considering lightweight plastic frame because all the weight of every little thing in your pack adds up. Gotta shave weight where you can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    camping where? Handgun against kodiaks, grizzlies etc? - nope. I have pics of the remains of the guy who emptied his 357 revolver into or at the bear which survived and ate most of him. Later the bear was killed by a hunter and puzzled over the extra bullet holes in the bear. I agree with others about considering lightweight plastic frame because all the weight of every little thing in your pack adds up. Gotta shave weight where you can.

Ma Deuce. The only logical answer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My friend has a S&W 500, I call it the Hand Cannon. It draws a LOT of attention when we shoot it. I'm not too bad with it, accuracy-wise, but you've got me beat. When my friend brings high grain rounds to shoot I'm usually one and done. :lol2:

Last time we were at the range I shot 60 rounds with 350 grain Berry's heads. I am not a big person either just an average joe. Last year MD DNR was checking out our licenses and guns. It was the first year straight wall cartriges could be used in all of MD for deer hunting. They said so far I was the only one using a 50 caliber S&W they have seen. I had a choice between the 50 or 45/70 which I have shot too both made by Magnum Research. Both have about the same recoil except the 45/70 is much sharper.

RNB3

Apr 24, 2019
    in dem mountinz
    .45 for camp n' stuff

2 X 10 rd Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat + one in the pipe you should be good to go. Oh, maybe an Alien Gear shoulder rig with 2 mag holder. That's 31 rds of .45 that should be way more than enough for any outdoor life threats and probably way more than you'd ever need for 'stuff'...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    2 X 10 rd Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat + one in the pipe you should be good to go. Oh, maybe an Alien Gear shoulder rig with 2 mag holder. That's 31 rds of .45 that should be way more than enough for any outdoor life threats and probably way more than you'd ever need for 'stuff'...

How much time do you think you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom