• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Anyone reload for 350 legend? i was able to get some reloading dies and hornady 170 grain interlocks ordered before they started to disappear.

I'd like to try to work up a deer load for it, but this will be the first time I'll ever reload for hunting. Any tip and tricks to squeeze in optimal performance? I noticed this caliber uses powders usually associated with 300 BO. I only have imr4227, but will eventually experiment with other suitable powders such as lil'gun, h110, etc.

Just for giggles, I invested in a 358/200 RF mold to try and cast for this, since the bullet is some conical shaped 355 diameter pill. It would be great to get some resized 356, powder coated, and gas checked reduced loads out of this for general range use. If this doesn't work out, then I would atleast have another mold for my 357 casts. Will report progress on this once everything comes in.

Last edited:

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I am starting to reload for it. I also have the Hornady 170 gr and 165 gr FTX bullets. I'm going to use Lil Gun and H110. Seating depth will be to magazine length. I am using a BCA upper. I know they are not the best, but it was available. I have had two Fail to Feed. They were both on my first range trip. After cleaning the upper well, I had not FTF on my last trip(shot about 60 rounds).

I shot about 160 factory rounds, total, through it so far. It likes the Winchester 150gr ammo the best. I'm getting about 2" groups at 100yds. I've tried Federal 170gr and Winchester 180 gr also. The Fed showed promise, but I'm out of it and cannot find more. The Win 180 was about 4-5" at 100 yards.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I have actually found 350 legend ammo to be pretty available the last week or so. Anglers by the bridge had maybe 5 or 6 brands to chose from. They actually had a lot of 12 and 20 gauge slugs, plenty of .350 and even some .450

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I thought about doing this but at $9.49 for target ammo, and $19 for hunting ammo I just cant seem to justify it. I would say 2 out of every 3 trips I make to Quarterfield (Severn) Walmart they have it. Interested in how it will group for you though, keep us posted.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I’m interested in working up some subsonic loads for it. With a Ruger bolt gun I don’t have to worry about cycling issues. Managed to score some virgin brass and 175 grain boolits before they dried up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I am starting to reload for it. I also have the Hornady 170 gr and 165 gr FTX bullets. I'm going to use Lil Gun and H110. Seating depth will be to magazine length. I am using a BCA upper. I know they are not the best, but it was available.

It likes the Winchester 150gr ammo the best.

I got a BCA upper too, and I'm using the 150gr Deer Season XP ammo from winchester. Just putting some rounds thru it (pistol length) but so far so good.

I agree with others that I'm not sure I'm going to spend the money to reload it. Considering it's a hunting round for me, I got the Winchester a little over $1 CPR shipped from Midway. I started with 5 boxes but I'm not sure I'll need much more than that. I'm saving the brass just in case, but thinking that 100-200 rounds probably gets me most of a lifetime need, but that's close to what I'd need to load to find the optimal load. By the time I buy powder (as mentioned, not one I have on hand), dies, primers (SRP hard to find) etc, seems like I'm not coming out ahead.

One thing also is that there's some confusion as to bullet diameter. Most reload data shows .355, but I saw other literature that said Winchester expected .357, and the barrels are tuned for that. There's different bullet shapes if you go .358 (rifle bullets for .35 Rem) vs .357/.355 which are pistol bullets.

Only reason why I would reload at this point would be to get a subsonic hunting round, but I didn't see good bullet options in the 200/220gr weights needed for that (only cast which I'm not keen on hunting with).

Love to see what others come up with.

I don't know where you are located but the walmart in lansdowne had several boxes of 350 legend ammo today. In fact I have seen it at several walmarts. I bought an AR Stoner upper for that caliber and plan to hunt deer with it in Queen Anne's County. I haven't been able to find reloading dies in stock in that caliber but I do plan to reload it.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I found more of the 150 gr Deer Season. I picked up three boxes. That will get me sighted in and through gun season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I just built an upper with a Gibbz side charging upper, a McGowen 1:10 barrel and a Superlative Arms piston kit. Today is her maiden voyage to see how she runs, adjust gas and zero glass.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Many thanks for the responses guys. I ignorantly stated that ammo was sparse for this, but lo and behold, bass pro and wally world got them in stock (although it was only like a couple boxes left). Still .75-1 a round though, but a box or two will get through sighting and firearms season. The reloads may not make it this hunting season, but I'll be sure to work something up for the next.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I finished testing loads for a 350L about a month ago using the Hornady 170 gr SP. The rifle was a Savage bolt rifle. I tested Accurate 11FS, Lil-Gun, and A-5744. 11FS is essentially 110 with a flash suppressant. Accurate powders told me I could use H-110 data. The rifle hated 5744 with groups over 2". Lil-Gun gave speeds up to 2399 fps and decent numbers but didnt group very good. 11FS kicked butt. Speed 2266, .262" group, ES 2 and SD 1.7
    The secret for loading this round is consistent crimp (FCD). I also found that a qtip with a small amount of Lee lube wiped inside the neck and allowed to dry made a big difference in consistent bullet release, hence the numbers. The reason I used the 11FS rather than H-110 was the barrel being 16" and I thought the flash suppressant might help in low light hunting. Western powders says it reduces muzzle flash by 90%. Overall, the 350 was more accurate than I had thought it might be. I have heard of feeding issues in AR rifles with the 350 but havent tested with an AR so I cant say I have experienced this issue.

Lil-Gun would be a good choice if speed is your thing. I did notice more kick with this powder. It also has a very hot flame temp and might not be the best choice for barrel life but then its a hunting round.
    Hope this helps.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I finished testing loads for a 350L about a month ago using the Hornady 170 gr SP. The rifle was a Savage bolt rifle. I tested Accurate 11FS, Lil-Gun, and A-5744. 11FS is essentially 110 with a flash suppressant. Accurate powders told me I could use H-110 data. The rifle hated 5744 with groups over 2". Lil-Gun gave speeds up to 2399 fps and decent numbers but didnt group very good. 11FS kicked butt. Speed 2266, .262" group, ES 2 and SD 1.7
    The secret for loading this round is consistent crimp (FCD). I also found that a qtip with a small amount of Lee lube wiped inside the neck and allowed to dry made a big difference in consistent bullet release, hence the numbers. The reason I used the 11FS rather than H-110 was the barrel being 16" and I thought the flash suppressant might help in low light hunting. Western powders says it reduces muzzle flash by 90%. Overall, the 350 was more accurate than I had thought it might be. I have heard of feeding issues in AR rifles with the 350 but havent tested with an AR so I cant say I have experienced this issue.

Lil-Gun would be a good choice if speed is your thing. I did notice more kick with this powder. It also has a very hot flame temp and might not be the best choice for barrel life but then its a hunting round.
    Hope this helps.

This is a great nugget of information and will definitely note this. Have you tested for expansion on the hornady SP's? I got a couple of jugs of lil'gun on the way and I feel like speed is king for optimal expansion, or atleast that is what I been reading up.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD

Hope this helps.

I had these feeding issued you speak of in my new build. The 145gr FMJs shot single hole at 100yds and the 150gr Deer Season XPs were sub moa (when I got them to feed). I was having consistent bolt override. The general consensus is that it is a magazine issue. I plan to order a CMMG magazine and take a dremel to the Duramag I have and lower the front edge a little on one Duramag I have and get a no tilt follower for the other and see if either fix works.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I ladder tested a load of 25/26/27 gns of IMR 4227, 2.24 COL, with 170 grain hornady SP's. I also compared them to factory winchester 145 grain target loads and 180 grain power points. I tested them out on a Ruger American Ranch 350 legend (not tested with an AR upper from original post). All shots taken at 100 yards, 3mph winds at a sandbag bench rest position.

The 26 grain load did the best, at 1.33" 4-shot group (fifth shot was for chrono; ~2150 fps). The worst was the winchester 145 grain at 4.5 inch groups at around the same speed with the runner up being the winchester 180 grain powerpoints punching at 2" groups chronoed at ~2050 fps, which is acceptable and what I will use for this Saturday for hunting. Just for giggles, I tried another 5 shot group with the winchester 180 grain, but at a sitting/shooting stick position, and groups opened up to a 3" group (this is all me).

The lee 200 grain 358 mold came, but I still haven't received gas checks for them yet. Will update how those perform.

There is definitely room for improvement, but I'm quite happy how the reloads turned out and compared to the winchester 180 gn powerpoints.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I had these feeding issued you speak of in my new build. The 145gr FMJs shot single hole at 100yds and the 150gr Deer Season XPs were sub moa (when I got them to feed). I was having consistent bolt override. The general consensus is that it is a magazine issue. I plan to order a CMMG magazine and take a dremel to the Duramag I have and lower the front edge a little on one Duramag I have and get a no tilt follower for the other and see if either fix works.

I just got my BCA pistol length upper and I've been sighting it in using the Deer Season XP ammo. I bought a CMMG mag and was getting relatively consistent FTF (every other round or so). I noticed that even when I tried hand stripping the mag, rounds were getting caught on the front edge, hanging up on the case mouth. I cleaned the weapon and dremeled the front of the mag (see pics) and I'm still getting the issue, although less frequently. It's almost like the round is getting caught on the case mouth at the back of the chamber, as when the bolt goes forward it's pushing the base of the cartridge up and binding, and rounds get stuck halfway in. I drop the mag and rerack the charging handle and it goes into battery.

Any ideas?
    e8879ef9f3c3792d0e6d189c43d04e8b.jpg
    4c736d311a9fd9d1b175b609d46d42c4.jpg
    ea58570ff9dc2c671d57b4fc6425dfdc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads