What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded up another 500 or so 9mm. Last 150 of that was using the Ginex primers that American Reloading sells. I don't like them as much as CCIs - they don't deal as well with tight primer pockets - BUT if they work better in my 929, all may be forgiven.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Loading up some .500 S&W noticed my digital scale was acting uncorapative. Kept going out of calibration used calibration weights several times and fiddled with the scale for about 1/2 hour. Well insanity was reaching in so I broke out my OS beam scale. Set it up checked with calibration weights good to go.

I was suspicious of the previous loads by the digital scale so I doubled checked. Yup the last 10 of the 20 loads hose bagged. Reweighed powder and all was good on the ole loading bench completed 50 loads.

Fathers day (good excuse to visit Cabelas in Hamburge PA) will be getting a new digital scale in the mean time old fathful beam scale will be out of retirement..

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Loaded up 100 rounds of "trash" 223 using the GINEX 4,5/3-P3 SRP that I ordered by mistake (instead of the 4,5/3-I for 5,56 MSRP) Going to see how the thinner cups handle AR floating firing pins and then plan accordingly..

From the GINEX Mfg site:

Small pistol 0.42mm cup thickness 0.023g mix
    Mag Sm pistol 0.50mm cup thickness 0.027g mix
    Small rifle 0.50mm cup thickness 0.025g mix
    Mag Sm rifle 0.68mm cup thickness 0.027g mix

I also mixed the first of two more Gelatin ballistic gel blocks (16x6x6) to take to camp for more expanding subsonic testing.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Someone tell me about Ginex primers. This is the second reference I've seen to them in the last day or so, and I've never heard of them. Is the quality decent enough? Would there be any reason to avoid them?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Someone tell me about Ginex primers. This is the second reference I've seen to them in the last day or so, and I've never heard of them. Is the quality decent enough? Would there be any reason to avoid them?

Powder Valley has always sold them, but like the $17 boxes of S&B, there wasn't much need when CCI/Fed/Rem/Win could be had for $25...

They are Bosnian-made, tend to be a little tighter than most domestic brands, but reviews has them always going bang, zero change in any load development, and they have been very available lately.. (Although at 9-10cpr shipped)

The Russian Murom and South American Servicos all seem to have similar reviews, but I've only seen Ginex and S&B "foreign" brands before this drought..

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Loaded up 100 rounds of "trash" 223 using the GINEX 4,5/3-P3 SRP that I ordered by mistake (instead of the 4,5/3-I for 5,56 MSRP) Going to see how the thinner cups handle AR floating firing pins and then plan accordingly..

From the GINEX Mfg site:

Small pistol 0.42mm cup thickness 0.023g mix
    Mag Sm pistol 0.50mm cup thickness 0.027g mix
    Small rifle 0.50mm cup thickness 0.025g mix
    Mag Sm rifle 0.68mm cup thickness 0.027g mix

I also mixed the first of two more Gelatin ballistic gel blocks (16x6x6) to take to camp for more expanding subsonic testing.

20AA37E1-7B7E-4398-8DFA-A1D9A197058C.jpeg
    995CE5CB-DD68-4793-8F19-7D7DE58E3674.jpeg

The 220gr RN subs passed through all 32” of gel and no sign they expanded

I brought some 130gr hog hamr all copper supers and it pedaled nicely and went about 20” into the gel

All 99 ginex SRP passed the bolt slam testing and there were no double fires or pressure signs. (My priming tool leaves a half moon impression if you see one in the pic)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Loading up some .500 S&W noticed my digital scale was acting uncorapative. Kept going out of calibration used calibration weights several times and fiddled with the scale for about 1/2 hour. Well insanity was reaching in so I broke out my OS beam scale. Set it up checked with calibration weights good to go.

I was suspicious of the previous loads by the digital scale so I doubled checked. Yup the last 10 of the 20 loads hose bagged. Reweighed powder and all was good on the ole loading bench completed 50 loads.

Fathers day (good excuse to visit Cabelas in Hamburge PA) will be getting a new digital scale in the mean time old fathful beam scale will be out of retirement..
    The second digital has been collecting dust for years. The old tried and true beam balance has been my go to weighing device for decades and it has never failed me. I have used it enough with the powder measure that I can throw loads as fast as a high end digital whackemup allinone magic powder dispenser and individually throw and trickle each one to weight within a tenth or less all day long.

I do use digital scales for other things, but dropping loads is still as fast old school as it is with the fancy new powder dispensers and digital scales imo..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh.. loaded up some of the new hollow points from Xtreme, their X-DEF boolits. They look nice, we'll see how they shoot and perform.

IMG_5974.JPG

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Got my mobile setup going for some in- range/on the field reloading and load development.

Converted berdan primed gp11 brass to srp boxer primer pockets (bored out central flash hole and existing berdan primer, swaged in small rifle primer pocket). Did this method specifically because I got plenty of SRP. If this doesn't work out, will try ball bearing swaging a LRP pocket spec rim along the existing .217" berdan primer pocket.

These are specifically for reduced cast loads. Will test them out tomorrow. Update: 3/4 SRP primed gp11 did set off but were split second delayed fires, while one experienced a failure to fire. I figured the reduced powder loads needed a lrp for proper ignition. Will try converting them to LRP pockets and test them out next week.

d509ca2bf8621a09e071d3f1ae570454.jpg
    cdcc7f6bb60edf161002d25f7c71dbf7.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    I decided to try loading some "vintage" 9mm loads with some components given to me over the past year. I will test them out tomorrow morning.
    The can of powder is old and the primers are Hirtenberger made 32yrs ago. (Pics are from the internet, but match what I used today.)

Attachments

• Empty-vintage-1-pound-can-Winchester-Ball-Powder.jpg
      Empty-vintage-1-pound-can-Winchester-Ball-Powder.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 58
    • primers.jpg
      primers.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 56

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I’m Working on re-sizing some cases for my M1A. I recently learned how to closely match the chamber dimensions and headspace to the case headspace to prevent overworking the brass. So these cases will be for use only in that one rifle.

Attachments

• 062C871F-1660-4EF0-9F38-79841CA318C3.jpeg
      062C871F-1660-4EF0-9F38-79841CA318C3.jpeg
      667.5 KB · Views: 65

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Deprimed, cleaned, sized, trimmed a mixture of about 250 38spcl and 357 brass. Then loaded up fifty 357 with 158gr Hornady XTP over 17gr of Power Pro 300-MP. To be used in my Henry and Dan Wesson. Between pre-covid bullets and primer, covid powder, it's about $17 for those 50 rounds. Still, better than $40-$50 for commercial ammo.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Rrecently acquired a custom Lee "Length Gauge" (used with the Lee "Precision Cutter and Lock Stud" for trimming cases) for 9x39mm and used it in converting Starline "Grendel Basic" cases to 9x39mm cases. They came up about .055 over max case length when formed, hence the need for trimming from the get-go. Last night I loaded up 25 with 286 gr Hornady Interlock bullets with 11.8-12.6 gr of Lil' Gun over CCI #41 primers and today I crono'd them at the range.

Max velo from my 8.5" AR at 12.6 gr was only 920 fps with a 6.2 fps standard deviation, but no pressure signs so I will continue to work up (cautiously) after I clean and prep the brass I used today. Hoping to get to about 1050 fps. Even at 920 fps the gun cycled and locked back when empty.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    First attempt at casting and powder coating. Starting with large 340gr .459 for 458socom to hone my skilz.

Purple Haze from Powders-by-the-Pound. It seems like a thin coat, but I'm not sure if it's the type of powder or my inexperience. I know most coatings I've seen here are brightly colored and I'm not sure what goes into the powder selection so I just grabbed a few different darks.. I'm going to try a second coat today.

387E5739-A73E-4006-8A67-84D641FCEEEC.jpeg
    4661A54C-7F5A-4094-A379-0FE6E820D963.jpeg

Last edited:

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    Rrecently acquired a custom Lee "Length Gauge" (used with the Lee "Precision Cutter and Lock Stud" for trimming cases) for 9x39mm and used it in converting Starline "Grendel Basic" cases to 9x39mm cases. They came up about .055 over max case length when formed, hence the need for trimming from the get-go. Last night I loaded up 25 with 286 gr Hornady Interlock bullets with 11.8-12.6 gr of Lil' Gun over CCI #41 primers and today I crono'd them at the range.

Max velo from my 8.5" AR at 12.6 gr was only 920 fps with a 6.2 fps standard deviation, but no pressure signs so I will continue to work up (cautiously) after I clean and prep the brass I used today. Hoping to get to about 1050 fps. Even at 920 fps the gun cycled and locked back when empty.
    Man I really want to build a 9x39, its too bad it didn't get more popular before covid

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom