• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    'They' make a bolt for Weaver adaptation having a flat side to it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So I was screwing around with stuff on my bench last night and attempted to
    Put this holosun on it but it wouldn’t fit because of the bolt.
    38055d9ac78c54011a242e6d4611a3dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMO that looks gross. A modern holographic sight doesn't belong on a classic revolver like a Model 29. Of course opinions vary, but you'll never seem me hang something like that off of my Pre-29.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Maybe it’s a Weaver slot and the Holosun has a Picatinny bolt. There are some differences. I’m not an expert, but it’s sorta like “round peg in a square hole”. If it is a Weaver mount you’ll need an adapter, or RD set for Weaver mount.

That makes sense. Like I said it was sitting there and I figured why not have some fun and try it. Never thought about the bolt being different on a weaver mount. I’ll pop the rail off tonight and see if it’s the round or square style. And see what I can come up with.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Congrats on the auction! I'm very jealous!:envy:

I vote scope.

A scoped 44 is next on my list. Unfortunately a couple unexpected bills is putting that on hold.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A scope can be a great choice, or a lousy choice. I have a Ruger Mark III Target in 22LR with a 2x scope that I use for squirrels. It's a great combo. I also have a Ruger SBH Hunter with a 2x scope for large game.

In both cases, my desire when hunting live targets is to offset older eyes, to take maximum advantage of available light, to put sight and target on the same focal plane, and to maximize precision. These handguns are rested, every chance I get. It might be a log, or it might be the side of a tree, or a cross arm or an available knee. I want it as stable as I can make it. Both handguns are capable of precision.

Now as a carry gun, say in bear country? If 44 is ok, that scope isn't. Not for me anyway. Iron sights mean speed, and a level of precision that's probably best termed as being hopefully plenty good enough, IF the round can be put on target, if it is you being hunted. I would suggest that red dots will fall somewhere in between.

Your choice is all about what you want that revolver to do for you. They're all compromises, in some form or fashion.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just brought home my new to me model 29 won at an auction last week. The gun is missing its rear sight and has a rail mounted instead. I’d love to go to original iron sights but am not having luck finding them any where on line.
    52fd42e3873791301024e825d877fa9f.jpg

Is this it? It's sold out but they can notify you when in stock.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/229230000

Also Ebay they have several. Search Model N rear sight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265085798671?hash=item3db858490f:g:M1AAAOSwhvpgS3-K s-l225OZSXXZI7.jpg

229230000_100x100.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think I've seen the direct answer yet , is it Rounded or Squared sight/ inlet into Topstrap ? If the gun is factory drilled and tapped , it's probably Rounded .

Since you didn't mention either Coke Bottle specticals or seeing eye dog in first post , then the obvious answer is IRONS .

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    I don't think I've seen the direct answer yet , is it Rounded or Squared sight/ inlet into Topstrap ? If the gun is factory drilled and tapped , it's probably Rounded .

Since you didn't mention either Coke Bottle specticals or seeing eye dog in first post , then the obvious answer is IRONS .

On my way to seeing eye dog. Moved past coke bottle specs thanks to modern lenses!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , Elmer Keith used to hunt Sharks with his M29 , so I figured Porpoises would be doable also .

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I posted a few different top sights that are on Ebay for sale. The OP needs to remove the rail and find the one that fits. Done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom