• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I recently got a buddy on the air and ran his antenna tucked under the facia of the vinyl siding. No wire visible other than the 1 foot hop from where it exited the house. Used an ICOM AH-1 to tune it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m running mine along the top ridge of my roof inside of my attic. I have to bend the ends downward since the wire is longer than my roof ridge. It works really well. Due to the orientation of my house my antenna is orientated. SSW to NNE. Which means it radiates WNW to ESE. I can pick up stations from South Africa to Alaska but Mexico and the UK are a little weaker.

The only issue I have with this setup is that my antenna also runs parallel to my HVAC control wires from the thermostat to the air handler. When I transmit at 100w I’m generating some common mode current in the control wire and I fried out my fancy ecobee thermostat. I’ve added chokes, and shielded the control wires but it still seems to pickup current. For now I’m limited to 30w or less.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I came across this. An "HOA friendly" (oxymoron alert!) antenna that seems to have a very high usable bandwidth. It seems to give you much more real estate than a dipole at least. I'm not sure how great it would really be on 160 but...

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Passed the Technician Class test on Friday...waiting for my Call Sign....maybe Monday. I only have a handheld at the moment, but have successfully programmed in the local repeaters...I think...I can hear the Calvert Guys chatting, but nothing from the La Plata one yet...mostly just check in and listen to the EMS call outs. I think I have the offsets and tones correctly entered...Hope to find out soon.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Passed the Technician Class test on Friday...waiting for my Call Sign....maybe Monday. I only have a handheld at the moment, but have successfully programmed in the local repeaters...I think...I can hear the Calvert Guys chatting, but nothing from the La Plata one yet...mostly just check in and listen to the EMS call outs. I think I have the offsets and tones correctly entered...Hope to find out soon.

Congrats!

:party29:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Congratulations!

welcome-to-the-party.jpg

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I really need to get off my butt and do this. Just haven’t taken the time to get it done. I am going to make it a short term goal to do this in 6 months.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I really need to get off my butt and do this. Just haven’t taken the time to get it done. I am going to make it a short term goal to do this in 6 months.
    I tested with the Charles County Club....easy, nice folks....The app I used to study was spot on....Ham Radio Prep.

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Congrats. I use the Brandywine VHF repeater once in a while, don't leave it off your list. Down your way you are likely to run into a certain crane operator on the repeaters during commuting times. His call sign ends with Worlds Ugliest Man. He's a great guy

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Congrats. I use the Brandywine VHF repeater once in a while, don't leave it off your list. Down your way you are likely to run into a certain crane operator on the repeaters during commuting times. His call sign ends with Worlds Ugliest Man. He's a great guy
    Copy that. I will add it too....and be listening for "that guy"

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County

The Southern Maryland repeaters are linked. If you are listening to the Calvert repeater you can hear people in Northern Calvert to the Northern Neck of VA (Montrose), King George and just about everything in between.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Mazel Tov!

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    The Southern Maryland repeaters are linked. If you are listening to the Calvert repeater you can hear people in Northern Calvert to the Northern Neck of VA (Montrose), King George and just about everything in between.
    Thank you. Good to know. I've heard a group of guys chatting during what I think is their morning commute and I've heard a local club meeting ...the commuters were coming up 301 it sounded like...which makes sense now, knowing they are linked.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Got my call sign this morning. No joy on the repeaters thus far. I programmed the cheap handheld using the offsets and tones according to repeaterbook.com. I haven't heard any traffic this morning, which is odd. There is normally a group broadcasting as they commute. I will keep trying. I used the Chirp software to program in the tones and offsets. Up to this point, I was only listening without programming those in....could be just a slow morning or I messed it up. Seems pretty straightforward though, or I have enough juice to RX but am lacking in the TX department...may need to jump into the deep end and get an actual radio. I utilized the ToneSgl tab, vs the Tone only tab. The repeater data says "Tone In/ Out" which I assume means I entered it in the correct drop down. May need to go for a drive and see if I can get closer.

Last edited:

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Drove to with in eyesight of the la.plata repeater..... nothing....but I was able to tickle the prince Frederick repeater...had an acknowledgment that they heard two syllables, and that I had tripped the repeater, try moving closer...at least I'm on the right track...

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think shootfishndorf should try the Brandywine repeater if you are in Waldorf as someone upstream suggested. 147.1500 +.6Mhz (147.7500) MD Brandywine Prince George W3SMR SMARC SOUTHERN MD PL 114.8

Last edited:

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I think shootfishndorf should try the Brandywine repeater if you are in Waldorf as someone upstream suggested. 147.1500 +6Mhz (147.7500) MD Brandywine Prince George W3SMR SMARC SOUTHERN MD PL 114.8
    Thanks...I have that one programmed too...pretty sure the issue is my radio will not reach them....not without an external antennae anyway. I'm picking up some gear tomorrow from another ham, my issues with power and antennas should be resolved.

**Just changed the tone..when I keyed up this time to the Brandywine, it sounded like I actually hit it...had the tail end of my transmission staying open for a few seconds....

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks...I have that one programmed too...pretty sure the issue is my radio will not reach them....not without an external antennae anyway. I'm picking up some gear tomorrow from another ham, my issues with power and antennas should be resolved.

**Just changed the tone..when I keyed up this time to the Brandywine, it sounded like I actually hit it...had the tail end of my transmission staying open for a few seconds....

Maybe you're in a low spot. I can hit it from 20mi away with an HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom