• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 29, 2020
    On a Island
    First time going through this hand gun process in Maryland, I was just approved today (July 27th) for my HQL, I completed the portal process and submitted my application for my 77R, so what now? I wait for the 77R paperwork? and is this going to be another 30 days for this approval to go through?

what a PIA this is...just say'n

Thanks in advance!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Approved for your HQL as in received your physical HQL card? You will be unable to complete or submit a 77r for a regulated firearm until you have the physical HQL card on your person. Usually comes in the mail about 10 days after approval.

When you submit your 77r, it is "submitted to the application pool". Only after going to your local FFL and purchasing a firearm is the 77r then completed, submitted, and then begins your 7 day wait.

A right delayed is a right denied....repeal the HQL.

Jun 29, 2020
    On a Island
    Approved for your HQL as in received your physical HQL card? You will be unable to complete or submit a 77r for a regulated firearm until you have the physical HQL card on your person. Usually comes in the mail about 10 days after approval.

When you submit your 77r, it is "submitted to the application pool". Only after going to your local FFL and purchasing a firearm is the 77r then completed, submitted, and then begins your 7 day wait.

A right delayed is a right denied....repeal the HQL.

I've not received my card.

I filled out the 77R form this evening and they gave me a application number, the status reads "SUBMITTED TO APPLICATION POOL"and sent me a PIN number by email.

so once I receive my card, I can use this PIN number to purchase the handgun, finishing filling out the 77R then wait 7 days.

sorry for the stupid questions but thank you!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Daughter is amid the HQL process(she's stuck here for her job).

I refuse to play the game. I'll get by til I haul ass out of this Commy state.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I've not received my card.

I filled out the 77R form this evening and they gave me a application number, the status reads "SUBMITTED TO APPLICATION POOL"and sent me a PIN number by email.

so once I receive my card, I can use this PIN number to purchase the handgun, finishing filling out the 77R then wait 7 days.

sorry for the stupid questions but thank you!

Once you receive your card, take it with you to the FFL of your choosing. When you pick out your firearm and pay for it, the FFL will then have you complete the paperwork.

The first step of the 77r process is what you have already done. Most people do that in store, but you've saved yourself (and the FFL) a few minutes by having that already done.

When you complete the paperwork they will ask for the application number and PIN. You will then submit the application with your specific HQL number, pay $10 for the processing, and then you begin the 7 day wait. On the 7th day (usually) you should receive a "not disapproved" notification, indicating that you may take transfer of your new firearm.

"Not disapproved" is just Marylands back assward way of telling you that you're allowed to get your firearm. If you get a denial or disapproval, then you are either a prohibited person or they have incorrect info.

Jun 29, 2020
    On a Island
    Once you receive your card, take it with you to the FFL of your choosing. When you pick out your firearm and pay for it, the FFL will then have you complete the paperwork.

The first step of the 77r process is what you have already done. Most people do that in store, but you've saved yourself (and the FFL) a few minutes by having that already done.

When you complete the paperwork they will ask for the application number and PIN. You will then submit the application with your specific HQL number, pay $10 for the processing, and then you begin the 7 day wait. On the 7th day (usually) you should receive a "not disapproved" notification, indicating that you may take transfer of your new firearm.

"Not disapproved" is just Marylands back assward way of telling you that you're allowed to get your firearm. If you get a denial or disapproval, then you are either a prohibited person or they have incorrect info.

That helps tremendously, Thank you!

so here's another stupid question, after going through the 30 wait while they check your back ground, you have to wait again for the 77R to clear after they've supposedly already checked your back ground? I guess that has something to do with the HQL being good for 10 years? (I'm sitting here wondering why I let my x-wife move me to Maryland...we divorced and now she's in Florida...life can be cruel)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

so here's another stupid question, after going through the 30 wait while they check your back ground, you have to wait again for the 77R to clear after they've supposedly already checked your back ground? I guess that has something to do with the HQL being good for 10 years? (I'm sitting here wondering why I let my x-wife move me to Maryland...we divorced and now she's in Florida...life can be cruel)

It has more to do with the State trying to infringe as much as possible. In many States you can get a carry permit with less ******** than we go through for the HQL and you can use that permit to cash and carry handguns (as it should be).
    Any hurdles they can put up, they will.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

The wait for the HQL and the wait for the 77r are completely independant of one another.

But yes, for any first time buyer, the wait is both for the HQL and then for the 77r. I am not sure if 30 days is an official HQL wait time, but rather the average time it takes someone to complete the process and receive their card. Perhaps I am wrong here.

Unconstitutional is an understatement. Not only have we created a significant barrier of time (a month plus), but we've made an economic barrier as well.

HQL classes, processing fees, fingerprints, and the 77r add up to over $300 in most cases, and that's before even considering the cost of the firearm itself.

Imagine being a domestic abuse survivor seeking protection, or someone who because of their situation must live in a higher crime area. And then further imagine having to go through this process which is poorly laid out, and then incurring those costs as well. By the time you actually get the firearm or can afford it, Maryland may have already created another victim.

I am not against firearms training, in fact I'm all for it. But when you've put these kinds of barriers in place, you have denied every good citizen of MD the right to self defense and every other right that comes with it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The 7 day wait has been around in MD since the 60s.

The HQL is relatively new.

But there have been cases of people getting through the HQL process, then being denied at the 77r process. And no, not after a long time.

But you are somewhat right that since the HQL is good for 10 years, you could have committed a felony, and served time and still have your HQL.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Has anyone’s 77r taken longer than a week? Any chance they clear before 7 days?

7 day wait is required by law, it wouldn't matter if they did the background checks instantly. When the 77r went electronic, they set it up to notify on the 8th day.

Many 77r's have taken longer than a week; the FFL is legally permitted to allow pickup on the 8th day if they have not heard no matter how much longer MSPLD takes. If the purchaser is later disapproved and doesn't return the firearm, MSP shows up. I think that happened 5 or 6 times 4 years ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    7 day - 1966
    HQL - 2013

Minimum 7 day wait required by law . Currently the email is * typically * early am of 8th day ( fine print about Sundays and Holidays

In '13 I had one take 119 days . ( that I was actually waiting upon , others that involved Timely Release I never found out or cared when the Not Disapproved actually arrived .)

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    So, if I submitted my 77r on Tuesday at 5pm, I should expect my “not disapproved” next Tuesday or Wednesday by 6am?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    They will not release the "Not Disapproved" email before day 7. Just an FYI the last 3 guns I bought I didn't get the Not Disapproved until day 8.

It depends on the day of the week and whether or not it falls on a holiday. Don’t ask me to explain because It’s a complicated mess. Buy on a Tuesday and you will receive the email the next Tuesday at 6:01am. But on a Monday and you will receive it on Tuesday. If Monday is a holiday you’ll receive it on Wednesday. Buy it on a Thursday and the following Thursday is a “holiday” that no one has ever heard of (Native American Day in MD) and you’ll get the email Friday.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    They will send you an Email at 6am on the 8th day (unless the 8th day is a Sunday or Holidays were involved)

7th day. Day 1 is the day you purchase (unless it was Monday or a holiday is involved.) Purchase on Tuesday, email will arrive the following Tuesday.

I had an FFL try to tell me it had to be the 8th day regardless of the email. He wanted to “prove me wrong” so he called MSP. I walked out with my firearm right after that call.

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    So I actually purchased the gun two weeks ago from gunbroker, and it was delivered to my FFL on Tuesday. I went in on Tuesday to do the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom