• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Searching around, I found a thread from some years back on handgun sight preferences - https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=16621

Good info, is it still current? I'm looking around for upgrades to some sights, for general training and a HD gun (and carry if I ever can). Don't really want red dots or reflex sights, just something easier to see than black on black, or white dots in bad light.

Something that would give me night sights with extra visibility would be great, so what do folks thing currently? I might get just fiber optic for the range gun, something fancier for the HD/carry options. Still pondering and need to look around to see what looks good to my aging eyeballs...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not much has changed, still largely personal preference. Dot sights have gotten smaller/ more reliable, and more affordable, so they can definitely be a worthy option, but they have their own shortcomings. You must have perfected your draw and grip consistency, all too often people pull a RDO equipped pistol, then have to wiggle it around to "find the dot", or start shaking it and hitting buttons, unsure if it is working or not. I only have them on target and comp-only pistols, for comp or defense, co-witnessing irons are mandatory IMO. I like plain serrated/no glare with a thin front blade for slow-fire targets, lets you concentrate on alignment without distractions. For faster day-time competition(3 gun, steel, and USPSA for me) I like a tall, bright green FO front, and plain black adjustable rear, lines up faster than anything, but still not crowded for longer shots and precision shooting. Still a fan of Sig, Vickers, Ameriglo, or Straight-8, dot over dot/bar night sights, easier to align, and less distraction than 3 dot IMO. 3 dot can be OK, provided the rear vials are small and set in a plain black housing, but add big white surrounds, and they get too busy. GLOCK's ball in bucket sights are the worst IMO.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Well, I don't shoot any competitions, but I do want sights that are quick to pick up. I like three-dot setups best (not a big fan of the Glock style either), and both green and red seem to work well for my eyes. I know I don't want anything fancy or gimmicky, no RDO etc., just improved iron sights.

I'll probably try something like the Truglo tritium/FO on one gun and see how that works, if there are opinions about those or similar gear I'm all ears!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My favorite for GLOCK is the Vickers night rear paired with an Ameriglo pro-glo front(big green dot w/tritium insert), Trijicon HD are good, as are Sig X-ray. Much depends on what you plan to put them on

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have Hi-Viz with fiber optic inserts. When I got a set of tritium sights I will never go back.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I like the ameriglo front. Put it on a 9 shield. Frankly, draw and fire, the glock night sights, the ameriglo with non lit back sight, all work fine. I just want to quiickly pick up that front sight on a target and keep it there. at distances up to 30’, seems fine unless you need to be bullseye shooting. I am sure some will disagree, but there was an article in one of the recent shooting mags reading there is no one style, or best style, to shoot.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I can't see the fiber optic in low light/ no light conditions. I can see the glowing dots in very low light/no light conditions. Outside in the daylight, the fiber optic glows very brightly so I have no problems picking it up when shooting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Bumping this - I'm looking at ordering XS Big Dot sights for my G43. Anyone have feedback on these?

Nope. But big sight on a small gun is the way to do it.
    I have a 43. I am waiting to get the 43X and I am going to go with this sight on it. I'd like to try it with a standard rear square notch instead of that single line to "prop" that front sight on "Pumpkin on a fence post". Seems to me filling a rear square with that fat dot would be much easier to align. It should get the round in the same general place. Especially for self defense, which this gun totally is.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Nope. But big sight on a small gun is the way to do it.
    I have a 43. I am waiting to get the 43X and I am going to go with this sight on it. I'd like to try it with a standard rear square notch instead of that single line to "prop" that front sight on "Pumpkin on a fence post". Seems to me filling a rear square with that fat dot would be much easier to align. It should get the round in the same general place. Especially for self defense, which this gun totally is.

I agree on the "pumpkin on post" bit. I'd really like to find something like the Sig X-Ray sights, but these seem like a decent option.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Humans key in on color, contrast and movement. The best sights will have a different color front sight that contrasts in color and shape/size than what's in the rear. Takes too much thought and precious time to line up 3 of the same size and color dots. And yes, I have seen people shoot with 3 dots in a row, but the front sight dot was either left or right of the 2 rear dots. I mean, after all, the dots were lined up, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom