• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Maynard 2nd model carbine, my new skirmish gun. 50 cal and 40 gr 3f is the charge it takes in a brass case. this gun is all Original and maybe not fired from the looks under the nipple. If it has only very little. Can any body tell me what the carving in the but stock is. It may have been done by a Civil War soldier. Ser. # puts this gun at being made between 1862 or 1863. you can still see the Inspectors marks in the stock. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0455.jpg
      DSCN0455.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 848
    • DSCN0456.jpg
      DSCN0456.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 733
    • DSCN0457.jpg
      DSCN0457.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 770
    • DSCN0458.jpg
      DSCN0458.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 745
    • DSCN0459.jpg
      DSCN0459.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 756

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Has anyone ever made reproduction Maynards?

I have a Smith carbine that was made by a guy who was the first to reproduce them. He only made 500 of them from what I understood. I got that in the 70's.

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    The carving in the stock doesn't look much like a cartouche of any kind. I'd say it was just something the owner did. Soldiers would do that too, I reckon, maybe out of boredom. Almost looks like a bow and arrow, or something that only had meaning to the owner. Pretty interesting and a very fine gun. Congratulations on that! I have never seen a Maynard in that condition. Oh, hey! I just saw who this is. Thanks again for offering to work on that barrel I posted about in the Black Powder forum. That was mighty nice of you.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Here is the rounds for it and 2 targets at 50 yrd's from the bench rest. the first 2 shoots went high, maybe me, the next 5 are great for a gun that's 158 years old:party29:

Attachments

• DSCN0460.jpg
      DSCN0460.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 707
    • DSCN0461.jpg
      DSCN0461.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 685

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD

I have a Smith carbine that was made by a guy who was the first to reproduce them. He only made 500 of them from what I understood. I got that in the 70's.

Yes, a lot made in the 1970s and a Larry Remono makes them although his cost more then an original.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    There were the Harper's Ferry repros, about 500 were made. Ramshorn LLC makes one geared to reenactors. The Romano Maynards are the gold standard - especially their Model 1. You can find good original 2nd Model Maynards for less, but not the First Model.

And the First Model guns had a 26 inch barrel and tang sights. Fearfully accurate with a good load.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Nice BB Gun!

Of course, you need a welder's glove and a short ramrod.

When I was Skirmishing over 20 years ago with my Parker Hale Threeband and Musketoon, these original Maynard BB Guns were were ruling the Carbine matches.

Do you know the old story of Toby, the Mississippi Private, and his Maynard Carbine?

"Only thing to do with the Maynard is load 'er up and turn 'er north. If twenty of 'em don't clear out all of Yankeedom, then I'm a liar, that's all."

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Nice BB Gun!

Of course, you need a welder's glove and a short ramrod.

When I was Skirmishing over 20 years ago with my Parker Hale Threeband and Musketoon, these original Maynard BB Guns were were ruling the Carbine matches.

Do you know the old story of Toby, the Mississippi Private, and his Maynard Carbine?

"Only thing to do with the Maynard is load 'er up and turn 'er north. If twenty of 'em don't clear out all of Yankeedom, then I'm a liar, that's all."
    :lol::lol:

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    He only made 500 of them

That was Tom Yeck who built them. I also have one.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Found it!

Toby Tries His Gun

From the Gazette and Sentinel, Plaquemine, LA
    Published April 13, 1861

Toby is high private in the first regiment of the Mississippi Army. His company is armed with the breech-loading Maynard rifle, "warranted to shoot twelve times a minute, and carry a ball, effecively, 1600 yards." Men who fought at Montgomery and Buena Vista call the new fangled thing a "pop-gun." To test its efficiency, Toby's captain told his men "they must try their guns." In obedience to command, Toby procured the necessary munitions of war, and started with his "pop-gun" for the woods. Saw squirrel up a very high tree -- took aim -- fired. Effects of shot immediate and wonderful. Tree effectually topped, and nothing of the squirrel to be found except three broken hairs. "Pop-gun" rose in value -- equal to a four-pounder. But Tony wouldn't shoot toward any more trees -- afraid of being arrested for cutting down other people's timber.
    Walked a mile and a quarter to get sight of a hill. By aid of a small telescope, saw hill in distance; made ready; took aim at rock; shut eyes and fired. As soon as breath returned, opened eyes; could see, just could; but couldn't hear; at least couldn't distinguish any sounds; thought Niagra had broken loose or all outdoors gone to drum-beating. -- Determined to see if shot hit. Borrowed horse and started towards hill. After traveling two days and nights reached place; saw setting sun shining through the hill. Knew right away, THAT was where the shot hit. -- Went closer -- stumbled over rocky fragments scattered for half a mile in line of bullet. Came to hole -- knew the bullet hit there because saw lead on the edges -- walked in, walked right through; saw teamster on the other side, indulging in profane language; in fact, "cussin' considerable," because lightning had killed his team. Looked as his finger directed; saw six dead oxen in line with the hole through the mountain; knew THAT was the bullets work, but didn't say so to angry teamster. Thought best to be leaving; in consequence, didn't explore path of bullet any further; therefore, don't know whether it stopped at all; in fact, rather think it didn't. Mounted horse -- rode back through the hole made by bullet: came home; put gun away; but never told Captain a word about it; to tell truth, was little afraid he would think it a hoax. "It is a right big story, boys," said Toby in conclusion, "but it's true, sure as shooting. Nothing to do with the Maynard rifle but load her up, turn her north, and pull trigger; if twenty of them don't clean out all Yankeedom, then I'm a liar, that's all. --
    (Oxford, Miss., Intelligencer)

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/toby-tries-his-gun.3740/

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Not sure if World of Warcraft was around back then but maybe.
    Wouldn't know about world of Warcraft bit I know they are in revelations. 4 horseman of the apocalypse! Supposedly one of them made it through and fought for the British in the revolutionary war! The Boston tea party was actually a rouse put together by George Washington to draw the attention from British guardsman in order to gain access to a ship that was housing a tool that would bring the other three horsemen into our realm and try to steal it. They failed at it bit managed to destroy the tool before it was used to open the gates of hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom