• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Hi everyone! I just recently got into shooting. I have always wanted to and Hillary is up in the polls so I figured it's time.

I guess I'm late though. The gun laws in Maryland (as of 2013) confuse the hell out of me! Nothing seems to make any sense. I have been looking through MDShooters to try to get a better grip on this stuff, but it still confuses me.

Here are my questions:

- "Assault Weapon" style riles are banned, but only if they are centerfire?
    What is the deal with that? So, .22 rimfire AR's are not banned? Why?
    I know .22 is a low caliber, but you can still make someones day very unpleasant with it. Why only Centerfire? Am I missing something? Does that means anything goes if it's .22?

- Magazine Limits: Do they apply to .22 rimfire, since nothing else seems to apply to them? Can I buy a H&K MP-5 .22 with a 20 round mag? What about other guns, can the dealer simply ship it without a mag or with a 10 round mag? How do you guys deal with this?

- Another AR question: Why are HBAR guns not banned? What's the difference?

- Purchasing Handguns. They have to be purchased with an "integrated locking device". So, how do I make sure that the gun I'm buying (if I buy it from a dealer outside of Maryland and have it transferred to a FFL) complies with this rule? Is it the responsibility of the dealer to ship it with said "locking device" or does the FFL dealer take it out of the box and fit this lock? Again, endlessly confusing...

- Finally, what do you think these moronic activitists and lawmakers are coming after next? It seems like everything they want to ban Nationwide is already banned in Maryland. Where do you think they will go from here? Can Maryland get any more restrictive than it already is?

Thanks and God Bless!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The "why did they ban X?" questions are pretty much useless at this point. The law was badly-written and poorly-researched. Things are what they are. If you want to know what the future holds, look to MA and CA.

You cannot buy 22lr detachable mags > 10rds. You can buy a 22lr gun that has a tubular integral magazine that has a capacity of > 10rds.

Your dealer will sell you the "integrated locking device" if you don't have one of your own to bring.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Sniff sniff..

(Fishy smell)

Yea, :cool: I spent a year reading post on the site before I joined, then the next year reading the watercooler posts and the ones members pointed to when I asked a question that was normal answered by spending a little time look through old post. I do have to say the search function on the forum does work very well.

If a question has be asked and answered. its normally been asked a dozen times before to the point you see 3-5 members point to the original answer.

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Not sure I understand what you mean by "Fishy".

I'm not asking how to do anything illegally or get around any laws. To the contrary, I'm just trying to understand them. The reasoning behind them, in many cases, seems inconsistent or nonsensical.

I'm just trying to understand, that's all.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I'm not asking how to do anything illegally or get around any laws. To the contrary, I'm just trying to understand them. The reasoning behind them, in many cases, seems inconsistent or nonsensical.

Most folks couldn't sum up SB281 any better than you just did.

Welcome to the forum.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Your name and questions you asked. Being your very first post and all.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

welcome to the forum.

its a good idea to go and do and introduction before asking questions that can be considered fishy, theres a lotta trolls out there.

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Sorry about the breach of etiquette. i just made an introductory Post.

The name I chose is simply a reference to one of my favorite movies (Goldeneye 007). I'm from Reisterstown, not England.

I understand you guys are probably weary of trolls and gun rights activists lurking and trying to catch someone saying something ill advised. I promise that was not my intention. I just have a hard time understanding these laws and I thought perhaps someone could clarify some of the stranger points for me.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sorry about the breach of etiquette. i just made an introductory Post.

The name I chose is simply a reference to one of my favorite movies (Goldeneye 007). I'm from Reisterstown, not England.

I understand you guys are probably weary of trolls and gun rights activists lurking and trying to catch someone saying something ill advised. I promise that was not my intention. I just have a hard time understanding these laws and I thought perhaps someone could clarify some of the stranger points for me.

read in the 2a section, search is your friend and like I said , welcome.

just don't be a troll :innocent0:D

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the only reason for the 2013 law is because o'mally wanted to pass a "gun control" law before he was out of office so he could get in good graces with his democrat/soros/bloomburg overlords. his hopes of (laughing) running for president (still laughing) or being appointed to some cabinet position in the clinton white house (so he hoped). he wanted a job in the D machine for 2014 after he left office.

well we all know how well that worked out for him... and screwed the rest of us. problem is a lot of the D in the statehouse agree with him, and are also looking to appease their democrat/soros/bloomburg overlords. only solution is to vote em out.

there are no facts, logic, supporting evidence or emperical data to support that anything in the FSA2013 law would do anything to reduce deaths or crimes of any kind. if anything, crime of all types in MD as a whole has been on an uptick since 2013.

the only outcomes of the law is that the state of MD lost money (it probably cost more in time spent processing than the fee) with HQLs, put some gun stores out of buisiness, increase business with neighboring states with people in MD buying standard capacity magazines for their handguns (pre 2013 the magazine limit was 20 rounds... so almost every handgun magazine was good to go), and made HBAR AR-15s super popular. as well as AK and AR SBR's and pistols. it also gave the MSP more leeway in enforcing laws more strictly than they are written, or enforcing laws that don't exist (AR lowers for example... don't need an HQL, but still needs the 7 day wait as a regulated firearm...).

the law It also pissed off a lot of people, which i think is all the lawmakers really wanted to do.... piss off people, just to show them they can do whatever they want as they are the ruling class and everyone else is just a peasant.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You can't make sense of laws that make no sense... The HBAR rule for one. Ok I can essentially have a banned gun but it has to be a 1lb heavier. Same size and function but a more accurate barrel. The fact of the matter is, is that when you get a bunch of libtards writing laws for shit they have no idea about, you get a bunch of laws that make no sense. AR pistols are perfectly legal and shoot the same cartridge as a banned AR but in a much smaller package. Yup that's a good one let's pass that into law. I wish Hogan would repeal SB281 so we could not worry about it anymore.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    - Purchasing Handguns. They have to be purchased with an "integrated locking device". So, how do I make sure that the gun I'm buying (if I buy it from a dealer outside of Maryland and have it transferred to a FFL) complies with this rule? Is it the responsibility of the dealer to ship it with said "locking device" or does the FFL dealer take it out of the box and fit this lock? Again, endlessly confusing...

As someone once said (RIP Lou) , this is the "MD compliant tampon".

Some pistols have an integrated lock that uses a little key. Those have a compliant lock and nothing further needed, others do not and you need a bore lock. When buying a pistol in MD, this is a question you must certainly ask the shop when pricing it out. If the gun does not have an integrated lock, then you must bring one or buy one. (Typically approx $25 if you buy one at the shop)

This applies to new guns and used guns manufactured after 12/31/02 (guys, do I have that date right)
    I don't know how up to date this list is:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices.pdf

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Thanks everyone. Again, sorry about not searching more thoroughly first, and apparently smelling like a fish. My bad.

Now that I have been searching, I still have one question:

Why did they exempt .22 rifles from this ban, and do you think they will consider this a "loophole" to "close" in the future?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    When you figure out these stupid laws let me know what they mean, I've been trying to make sense of them for quite a long time and find no rhyme or reason to them except for some reason they make the libs feel all warm and fuzzy.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Trying to find logic in Maryland gun laws is akin to Diogenes' search for an honest man, all but fruitless. Allowing a place kicker to practice on your nads is less painful and more productive.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Thanks everyone. Again, sorry about not searching more thoroughly first, and apparently smelling like a fish. My bad.

Now that I have been searching, I still have one question:

Why did they exempt .22 rifles from this ban, and do you think they will consider this a "loophole" to "close" in the future?

Because the MGA is comprised of imbeciles and/or NYC wannabes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom