• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Everything runs out at some time. Garands and M1 Carbines also used to be $50 back whenever.

Not saying the Mosins are all gone but I think they may be getting to an end. That and possible import bans could cut them off.

For a WWII rifle I still don't think it's a bad price if you didn't have one.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Not gonna lie. If I had $3500 I'd order a crate. I know a few others that would as well. I jut don't have $3500 to spend. Even if they come packed in a really good looking box. Lol

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    For a WWII rifle I still don't think it's a bad price if you didn't have one.

I have a spare bedroom closet full still (let C&R lapse this February).

I guess I just still don't see it, the sheer numbers dictate it shouldn't be a ~$200 dollar rifle.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Below $200 for a rifle of that type is still a good deal. We were just spoiled when the market was flooded with them. Now the political situation seems to have caused a dry-up of available (to us) rifles, so they'll be corking up in price over the coming months.

Sure ... there are doubtless millions of these things left sitting in the Ukraine and in Russia, but if they can't be shipped to us, it's the same thing as saying they've run out.

If I didn't already have as many as I want to store, I wouldn't flinch at the current price.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Expect $250 Mosin rifles by the time the 2016 election rolls around. If you want a Mosin rifle, you'll probably wish you had bought it now instead of waiting.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Take this for what it is worth, but Tony D. Wilcox told me a couple weekends ago at the Tulsa gun show that he had paid for a certain number of Nagant revolvers from either Russia or the Ukraine (he didn't specify, just said "over there")

He claims that he got word they were melted down and destroyed, and he won't be getting his money back.

This came up as I was looking at one of the few Nagant revolvers at the entire 4,000 table show, and we were discussing the price.

Part of it is probably politics blocking shipments, but another aspect might be that some of them are being destroyed. For the children of course....

The people complaining about these Mosin prices are the same ones who complain about current Nagant revolver prices.

"they used to be $$" doesn't mean jack squat

Just wait until Hellary is our pres...And you thought Obeezy was bad!

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Keep in mind, they're worth whatever someone will pay for them. If there are buyers at $200, that means they're worth that much to somebody.

And the $150 ones I've seen at the last few gun shows are in pretty bad shape. These seem to be in very good or better condition.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I think they'll come back down. Call me a contrarian but a lot of the inflated pricing had to do with the serious devaluation of our own currency. BUT! The dollar has ticked up quite a bit so that's my thinking anyway.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    "they used to be $$" doesn't mean jack squat

Bingo! I used to have hair and weighed 160 pounds.

One of the things that a true C&R collector has to learn to do is to evaluate what a firearm's authentic value is -- and that can be a challenge. It's a different kind of stock market. If a firearm is under-valued, usually because not many collectors have "discovered" it yet, or because only a few realize how beautifully made they are, it shouldn't matter that it costs a little bit more than a cheaper rifle of inferior quality. If they aren't making any more of them, or if the supply is going to dry up for political reasons, they are eventually going to go to their true value as a firearm.

Conversely, fear can cause a "bubble" of high prices for new guns that is just now catching up with some buyers. Six months after the CT tragedy, when everyone was afraid that it was their last chance to buy a black gun, people were paying stupid money for AR-15s. Now they are available again at not much more than they were before the panic, and some folks who paid $1K for a rifle then are stunned to see the same thing selling for $600 now ... and theirs is used, to boot!

I had friends who laughed at me for hand-selecting my own battered and greasy Sino-Albanian SKSs when they first showed up here, and paying $270 for what was then the cream of the crop. (Some dealers were showing up at shows with hundreds of the things.) Let's see how the prices of those look in two more years, as the commercial supply has dried up and more people realize what excellent rifles they are, in spite of their looks.

"You paid $140 for an M44?! Yeah, it's in great shape, but those things are as common as cockroaches in the Bronx." Still laughing?

I won't mention some others, because I'm still on the hunt for good examples, but we're right at the end of prime time for getting, say, a K-31.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The Tula hex,s are already sold out,law of supply and demand. I thought they were over priced when I was paying 59 bucks years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom