• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

We moved out of Maryland October 2015 and now have been in our new home in Georgetown Texas for a year and three months. It's been nice, living in a free American state, and one of the very first things both the wife and I did on arrival in Texas was, to sign up for the class to get qualified to get out carry license.

Now a year later I have some thoughts on carrying a gun all the time. Basicly, it's a pain in the butt. My Glock 26 is actually a bit too big for hot weather carry. And we get a lot of hot weather down here in the Lone Star state. July and August is about 10 degrees hotter than Germantown Maryland, and sometimes the humidity is lower, sometimes not. All depends if weather is coming from the arid west Texas area or up from the south and the gulf of Mexico. Summer time garb is shorts, T-shirts or very loose short sleeve sport shirts, and Keen sandals.

I hate inside the waistband carry. I've got the high ride kydex holster for the Glcok, but I'm looking to downsize to something that will literally fit in the side pocket of Wrangler jean shorts. Soooo, this brings us to the question of mouse guns.

I've looked at the Bond Arms derringer in 9mm or even .45acp. They have a model called the backup in both calibers and it's the shortest derringer Bond makes. I've also looked at the Ruger LCP, the Ruger LCR in 9mm with the moon clips.

Over the past year, I've actually found myself carrying one of the little North American Arms mini .22 revolvers. Drops in a pocket, easy to carry, and way better than harsh language. On the range, I've been aboe to keep the rounds inside the chest area of the half size silhouette at double arms length, which is about as far as I'd try to hit anything with it. Frankly, I don't know if the mini .22 would quality as a mouse gun, since I don't think it's accurate enough to hit a mouse at anything but contact range.

So, has anyone ever heard of a mini. 22 actually being used to stop an assault or have any real defensive use in real world conditions?

I'm a little leery of carrying something like a Ruger LCP with a round in the chamber in my right front pocket. A little too close to valuable property if you know what I mean. So I'm more inclined towards a Ruger LCR if it fits in there. The North American has a safety notch in between the cylinders the the hammer nose rest in, so at least I know that MY property is safe if nothing else. The Bond Arms backup derringer has a hammer blocking safety on it, and only 2 shots, but maybe .45 caliber on tap.

I'm not sure where I'm going to go. Right now I'm just dropping the little .22 in the pocket.

Alternative is experiment with different holsters for the Glock 26 and buy baggier shirts for summer in Texas.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I don't consider NAA mini revolvers to be anything more than a novelty. It *might* cause a perp to turn and run if he doesn't give it a second look. It *might* penetrate a perp as a true belly gun if held against the perp's gut, *if* you can manage to cock the hammer and fire it under stress. I'd rather carry the LCP in a quality pocket holster with a round chambered. It's no 9mm but way better than the NAA. It doesn't have a trigger that's easy to pull the entire length of travel by accident. I'm not a fan of pocket carry with no holster. At least get something to cover the trigger.

If you're pocket carrying that NAA without a holster and fully loaded, the "safety" notch is not a safe way to carry it. Plenty of people have tried that and had a ND/AD inside their pocket. I suggest researching it online. It's highly frowned upon.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just say no to rimfire PD guns. Not reliable enough for me, thanks. Pocket carry of the LCP or LCR in a pocket holster is nice and easy. I'd wear cargo shorts instead of jorts, but that's me. Not a big fan of a derringer as primary carry gun.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Almost forgot to respond about the BA derringer. For what it is, it's big, too heavy, awkward to use, and only two shots. You're much better off with a Ruger LCR or S&W 442.

SIG P938 9mm, or a P238 .380 +P (just as nasty as a 9mm). Both fit in front pockets just fine. I've carried both cocked and locked like a 1911. Both have 7 round magazines plus one in the chamber. IF that ain't enough for you, the P238 takes ten round Colt 380 mags.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I pocket an LCR. You can also make a Shield (and I would guess a G43) fit in Wranglers, but it's uncomfortable. LCR is easy-peasy.

Also, I'd just go with a .38+p and forget the 9mm, but that's just me.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Beretta 21A Bobcat.
    DA/SA, 7 rounds.
    I wouldn't want to get in a shootout with it but putting 7 CCI stingers in someone's chest might encourage them to leave you alone.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    If I was going to pocket carry, I'd try the S&W 442/642. If even that was too bulky, I'd resolve to carry IWB before downsizing the gun any further.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I throw my Glock 42 into the front pocket of my shorts or jeans when I am on my property. Feels like it weighs as much as my wallet and pocket knife which are my normal EDC.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm a little leery of carrying something like a Ruger LCP with a round in the chamber in my right front pocket. A little too close to valuable property if you know what I mean. So I'm more inclined towards a Ruger LCR if it fits in there. The North American has a safety notch in between the cylinders the the hammer nose rest in, so at least I know that MY property is safe if nothing else. The Bond Arms backup derringer has a hammer blocking safety on it, and only 2 shots, but maybe .45 caliber on tap.

I'm not sure where I'm going to go. Right now I'm just dropping the little .22 in the pocket.

Alternative is experiment with different holsters for the Glock 26 and buy baggier shirts for summer in Texas.

How is a LCR any safer than a LCP? The trigger pull on a LCP is not accidental, let me assure you. It's not going to fire unless you pull that l o n g and heavy trigger pull.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How is a LCR any safer than a LCP? The trigger pull on a LCP is not accidental, let me assure you. It's not going to fire unless you pull that l o n g and heavy trigger pull.

Exactly. The new LCP trigger is shorter but not that much so. It's designed to emulate a revolver trigger.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Given the very small sizes available in .380 pistols these days, I don't see any reason to depend upon a .22. Just my .02.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    since you're already familiar with glocks, i'd recommend the glock 43 9mm.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I own several of the small handguns mentioned here and when I lived in VA, during the summer, the NAA Black Widow 22 Mag. frequently got the nod as my carry firearm. Sometimes even my LCP - in a proper pocket holster - is still too bulky. That Black Widow is easy enough to conceal in PT clothing and 5 rounds of 22 Mag is nothing to laugh at.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Beretta 21A Bobcat.
    DA/SA, 7 rounds.
    I wouldn't want to get in a shootout with it but putting 7 CCI stingers in someone's chest might encourage them to leave you alone.

A Beretta Bobcat is the same size and only a couple of ounces more. But it is .32acp.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Single stack 9s or 380s are getting pretty tiny these days. Beretta Pico/Nano, Ruger LCP/LCR/LC9, S&W Bodyguard, etc.

I can't see a real reason to opt for a 22LR with the options available today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom