• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I am detecting some wishful thinking here.

Maybe. He had an overconfident opponent last race who underestimated Marylander tax fatigue. The last time the Dems lost to the GOP in this state, they had a very strong challenger for the next round - good old MoM.

First of all, "the country" voted in plurality for Clinton in terms of popular vote. Trump won the election, no doubt about it, but you're acting like he won a 60-40 landslide in the popular vote. The margin was razor thin. It is very debatable about whether he has all that much political capital to spend, especially with hostility from his own party.

Second, the GOP lost horribly in the state of MD. Those predictions that Szeliga would ride Hogan's coattails to victory were laughable in hindsight; she got curb-stomped by Van Hollen like any rational observer would have predicted.

Trump is deeply unpopular in MD, and there's no reason to think that will change. Hogan will stay as far away as possible from Trump.

Hogan won his first term in office during a Democratic presidency. I don't think the president is such a key decider as you think.

I agree. As far as pronouncements about Hogan;s re-election, I'm going to wait until six months before the elections. My crystal ball is broken and my time machine is down for parts.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    governor hogan will be running for re election in 2018, he will be the only option that isn't one of the D machine candidates that will roll out, and you really have to be a progressive democrat to not vote for him again. has he instituted carry on day 1? absolutely not. it sucks. this states government is a cesspool, and he has the state just barely keeping its head above the shitwater, and whoever is running against him sure ain't a ladder or a rope. if anything it will be an anchor. There will be NO better alternative in 2018. not voting for hogan will only relegate a D to the governorship, and that will get no progress made on gerrymandering, will allow for unfettered BS to be passed through the GA and it will be rubberstamped by frosh or whoever the D's stroll out against hogan.

not voting for him in 2018 is quite frankly the spoiled brat method of going through life. we got away from 4 more years of o'mally, but we didn't get everything we want so we are going to throw a tantrum and hold our breath until we get our way or pass out. and by that you are going to abstain and he won't get re elected. if you think 4 more years of hogan is anything but better than 4 years of whoever the D team rolls out, you have to either be a progressive democrat, or you are the most stubborn moron on the planet.

Sounds an awful lot like what a bunch of people are doing after this years Presidential election. So, why is it OK for the 2A community to do it in Maryland with regards to Hogan and carry, and not for parts of the nation with relation to Trump becoming President??? Pot, meet kettle. (Not directed at you Z)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry if I missed it but what is Hogan's position on the sanctuary cities? and would that sway votes? More importantly as stated AG has the power, is that elected or appointed and when ... or lost cause.

No clue on sanctuary cities or counties.

AG is elected every four years the same as Governor and the State Legislature.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Hogan is the man. He just needs enough Republican state senators in office to block veto overrides and then we are in business. But that won't happen if people get caught up in their feelings, butt hurt that he didn't wave a magic wand and transform Maryland into a shall issue state unilaterally. If that happened, MGA would swiftly pass legislation, he would veto, and they would override. All while making him look like a "gun lobby" puppet in a state where enough people hate guns and would be happy to see them banned.

At this point, nothing stops a Dem governor from appointing a rabid anti gunner at MSP. "MSP has deemed that all centerfire semi-automatic rifles are copies of named long guns." "Don't like it? Take us to court." Essentially, that very tactic was recently used in Massachusetts with little recourse thus far from 2A supporters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Balt City, Montgomery, and PG vote absolutely , totally Dem, and can narrowly guarantee statewide victory by themselves. Charles, Howard, and now AA viewed in a vacuum are competetive within "normal" margins , but those Dem votes , added to the lockstep areas give us our typical statewide margins.

Firing up the base in the hinterlands by itself can't win a statewide election. Do that PLUS shave 10 to 15 points off the Dem margins in the Leftist Triangle, then you can have a truely competitive race.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Sorry if I missed it but what is Hogan's position on the sanctuary cities? and would that sway votes? More importantly as stated AG has the power, is that elected or appointed and when ... or lost cause.
    Actually the AG position in Maryland is far weaker than it is in most other states. For some reason Hogan just lets Frosh believe otherwise.

Coming out and saying he will support Trump does nothing but Damn him in this state. It would be ignorant to do so.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

He's screwed either way....many Trump supporters now view him for the political coward he is...he should have kept his mouth shut...but he's doing the same thing to gun owners and from the sound of it many of you are going to vote for him any way...boy are you going to be surprised if he gets lucky, wins and keeps his back turned to you...

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    First of all, "the country" voted in plurality for Clinton in terms of popular vote. Trump won the election, no doubt about it, but you're acting like he won a 60-40 landslide in the popular vote. The margin was razor thin. It is very debatable about whether he has all that much political capital to spend, especially with hostility from his own party.
    very true

Second, the GOP lost horribly in the state of MD. Those predictions that Szeliga would ride Hogan's coattails to victory were laughable in hindsight; she got curb-stomped by Van Hollen like any rational observer would have predicted.
    wait, there are people who were confident she would win?
    don't get me wrong, i voted for her and it would have been a great win... but one no one should have felt confident about.

boy are you going to be surprised if he gets lucky, wins and keeps his back turned to you...
    my reaction will remain "wow, this is still much better than the anti-gun gubernatorial candidate the Democrats ran against him!"

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    He's screwed either way....many Trump supporters now view him for the political coward he is...he should have kept his mouth shut...but he's doing the same thing to gun owners and from the sound of it many of you are going to vote for him any way...boy are you going to be surprised if he gets lucky, wins and keeps his back turned to you...
    So you are going to vote for his democrat opponent?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    wait, there are people who were confident she would win?
    don't get me wrong, i voted for her and it would have been a great win... but one no one should have felt confident about.
    I voted for her, too. There were people who were very confident that it would be a tight race, and at least put on a show like they thought she was gonna win.

One other point: Hogan's veto on gun control is so far a theoretical that's never been tested. I worry that he might sell us out to get movement on the issues he does care about, and I don't think that's a wholly unrealistic concern.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    maybe all the disenfranchised will write in their fathers name.

to get my vote Hogan has to do something, anything for us.
    Lowering taxes? No addition restrictions of your 2A rights, actually addressing the nightmare of a budget shortfall in the state.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    maybe all the disenfranchised will write in their fathers name.

to get my vote Hogan has to do something, anything for us.
    Btw all the disenfranchised voters who do that better not say a thing if he loses and is replaced with someone like brownstain. After all state wide ban on toy guns sounds like a great idea right?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Lowering taxes? No addition restrictions of your 2A rights, actually addressing the nightmare of a budget shortfall in the state.

I haven't seen any lower taxes and his job is to run Maryland efficiently.

Btw all the disenfranchised voters who do that better not say a thing if he loses and is replaced with someone like brownstain. After all state wide ban on toy guns sounds like a great idea right?

and sadly I expect him to lose because of the way he is governing. just my opinion and I wish I could see otherwise.

and as for a statewide ban on toys, well that's why my real toy box isn't in this state. only a fool would keep his good toys here. I don't trust the MGA as far as I can throw an elephant.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    One other point: Hogan's veto on gun control is so far a theoretical that's never been tested. I worry that he might sell us out to get movement on the issues he does care about, and I don't think that's a wholly unrealistic concern.
    oh, i would agree with you on that point. and frankly, in that case i think a raging "not voting for Hogan" response would be much more justified. but until then...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I don't like all the Trump bashing by Hogan, but it is smart for him. Are right wing voters really going to choose a Democrat that runs against him? Probably not.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I don't like all the Trump bashing by Hogan, but it is smart for him. Are right wing voters really going to choose a Democrat that runs against him? Probably not.

It all depends on one's perspective. The older I get the less important Hogan's positive credits become. Safety for me and my family is paramount. No one can benefit from what some see as positive steps once deceased. That he and the Board are reticent to correct Maryland's unconscionable gun laws is a large thorn in my side.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    The Trump administration may be applying some litmus tests soon-- like reciprocal carry and sanctuary city challenges. It will be up to Hogan whether he fights or embraces these changes. We will soon know whether he deserves our continued support or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom