• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • python

Apr 15, 2010
    Recognized as the forerunner of the Colt Python, the model "357" was built from 1954-1961. Same mechanics without the Python bling. Thought some of you six-shooter fans might enjoy these photos of my recent acquisition. This is one of the earliest ones (1954) in the duo-tone finish, rounded sight leaf and unblued, polished muzzle. Gun is all original.

Attachments

• 20190530_103453.jpg
      20190530_103453.jpg
      174.2 KB · Views: 1,078
    • 20190530_103400.jpg
      20190530_103400.jpg
      153.7 KB · Views: 1,078
    • 20190530_103348.jpg
      20190530_103348.jpg
      180 KB · Views: 1,082
    Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Been on my want list for a while. Apparently the word got out; they're a bit scarce these days, and rather more pricey.

Time to re-apply for a new C&R, methinks.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A very underrated gun. I'd rather have one of these than a Python. There was a time when I thought the Python was the end all be all when it came to revolvers. There are others I would rather have these days.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Don't tell anyone about the 3-5-7! It's a secret! It was Colt's top grade revolver prior to the Python but once the Python was released it kind of lost its way stuck between the Trooper and the Python in Colt's lineup. Originally the Trooper was a .38 Special while the 3-5-7 was the upgrade in caliber and fit and finish. The Python became the target grade revolver and the Trooper became the Trooper .357 so there was little need for anything between the two choices. There were approximately 15k 3-5-7 revolvers made between 1953 and 1961 and all are fine, heavy-duty service revolvers.

Only within the last few years has there been any real recognition of the 3-5-7 with values increasing. Maybe it's because of the halo effect of being the more or less progenitor of the Python and the values of snake guns skyrocketing for several years. A lot of 3-5-7 revolvers have been coming out of the woodwork recently for sale.

They kind of reproduce on their own if you don't keep an eye on them...
    3-5-7-group.jpg

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Don't tell anyone about the 3-5-7! It's a secret! It was Colt's top grade revolver prior to the Python but once the Python was released it kind of lost its way stuck between the Trooper and the Python in Colt's lineup. Originally the Trooper was a .38 Special while the 3-5-7 was the upgrade in caliber and fit and finish. The Python became the target grade revolver and the Trooper became the Trooper .357 so there was little need for anything between the two choices. There were approximately 15k 3-5-7 revolvers made between 1953 and 1961 and all are fine, heavy-duty service revolvers.

Only within the last few years has there been any real recognition of the 3-5-7 with values increasing. Maybe it's because of the halo effect of being the more or less progenitor of the Python and the values of snake guns skyrocketing for several years. A lot of 3-5-7 revolvers have been coming out of the woodwork recently for sale.

They kind of reproduce on their own if you don't keep an eye on them...

3-5-7-group.jpg

Wow those are gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The Colt Python was known primarily for it lustrous blue finish, its spectacular accuracy and that it was laser bore sighted from the factory. It was a beauty, but I had two gripes with it. The first was that the grips were widest where the human hand was the smallest, and smallest where the human hand was largest. Two, its hand/pawl was undersized, wearing so quickly that it frequently goes out of time. Some people have it hard chromed to avoid this problem. (Hard chroming makes the hand wear very slowly because it had a Rockwell hardness factor of 59-60, which makes it exceptionally hard!)

It was superbly accurate, but when the S&W 686 was introduced in 1981, the Colt Python suddenly found that it had a contender. Early tests by gun writers showed that the 686 was more durable than the Python while also being as accurate and substantially less expensive than the Python! With a couple of replacement springs, the 686 also found itself as smooth as the Python. The only thing I personally didn't like about the 686 was the similar underlug barrel; however, as far as accuracy was concerned, the 686 was able to meet or beat the accuracy of the vaunted Colt Python! The hand on the 686 also was far more durable than that of the Python. Especially designed for the .357 round, the 686 could shoot them day in and day out without any problems. Ruger also redesigned its Security-Six, changing its designation to the GP-100. But it failed to be as accurate as the Python, while managing to add unneeded weight to the gun. Like the Security-Six, it excelled at shooting heavier rounds (158gr and heavier), but failed at shooting 110gr and 125gr as accurately as other makes. (I was told in the late 70s that the reason for this was that the lighter bullets were used primarily for self defense and didn't news to be as accurate as the heavier bullets, which tended to be used for hunting. Ruger therefore sought to use a configuration more suitable to heavier bullets. That said, if S&W could make its guns accurate for both heavier and lighter bullets, why can't Ruger?)

I don't know of any website that pits S&Ws against Rugers by way of accuracy, but I knew someone at the NRA (when it was still in Washington, DC) who used to drop a 125gr JHP bullet into each chamber of his .357 revolvers. In some, the bullets would catch in some chambers and pass through in others. He would do this before buying the gun and would seek guns that would catch in all six chambers. If he could find a gun that would catch all six, he claimed it would be the most accurate.

I prefer the old Ruger Security-Six because it's light and was built to fire the .357 cartridge. It was certainly accurate enough for my purposes and was a superb gun. That said, the 686, for sheer accuracy, was clearly built to give the Colt Python a run for its money.

--

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It was superbly accurate, but when the S&W 686 was introduced in 1981, the Colt Python suddenly found that it had a contender. Early tests by gun writers showed that the 686 was more durable than the Python while also being as accurate and substantially less expensive than the Python! With a couple of replacement springs, the 686 also found itself as smooth as the Python. The only thing I personally didn't like about the 686 was the similar underlug barrel; however, as far as accuracy was concerned, the 686 was able to meet or beat the accuracy of the vaunted Colt Python! The hand on the 686 also was far more durable than that of the Python. Especially designed for the .357 round, the 686 could shoot them day in and day out without any problems. Ruger also redesigned its Security-Six, changing its designation to the GP-100. But it failed to be as accurate as the Python, while managing to add unneeded weight to the gun. Like the Security-Six, it excelled at shooting heavier rounds (158gr and heavier), but failed at shooting 110gr and 125gr as accurately as other makes. (I was told in the late 70s that the reason for this was that the lighter bullets were used primarily for self defense and didn't news to be as accurate as the heavier bullets, which tended to be used for hunting. Ruger therefore sought to use a configuration more suitable to heavier bullets. That said, if S&W could make its guns accurate for both heavier and lighter bullets, why can't Ruger?)

I don't know of any website that pits S&Ws against Rugers by way of accuracy, but I knew someone at the NRA (when it was still in Washington, DC) who used to drop a 125gr JHP bullet into each chamber of his .357 revolvers. In some, the bullets would catch in some chambers and pass through in others. He would do this before buying the gun and would seek guns that would catch in all six chambers. If he could find a gun that would catch all six, he claimed it would be the most accurate.

I prefer the old Ruger Security-Six because it's light and was built to fire the .357 cartridge. It was certainly accurate enough for my purposes and was a superb gun. That said, the 686, for sheer accuracy, was clearly built to give the Colt Python a run for its money.

--

I have a Security Six (4 inch) and a S&W 586 (6 Inch). Participating in my first IPSC match tomorrow morning. MY trusty 586 will be with me. Python, Schmython!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I read the development of the Python. As with many successful histories it was interesting. When the revolver still reigned supreme in bullseye shooting, the heavy barrel was originally developed as a feature to allow the revolver to hang more steadily on target. I don't recall the sequence to its present configuration but do recall it was notable.

I would have never bought a Python over a 586/686 for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. But opportunity presented itself in an irrefutable manner and 8 days later I shot my Python. No box, no papers, aftermarket grips. My son and I shoot it together every couple of years. A couple dozen standard 357 ammo goes through it, with about 50-100 rounds of milder loads being used before hand.

Since the Python rotates the cylinder clockwise and the hand is used to lock it up hard, I will look into getting its hand chrome plated a suggested earlier. Makes alot of sense. Because of recoil battering I will look into getting a replacement hand as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Colt > S&W. Colts required more fitting by craftsmen. I'd rather have a firearm that someone actually cared about making. At this point, the only S&W I'll buy now is a 610.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I bought my 686 new in 1985. I have always loved the Python but at the time the 686 was half the cost or less.

I bought my Python (brand new) in 1972 and paid $198.00 for it. Still have it. Still shoot it. I bought my used 686 (no dash) a couple of years ago. IIRC, I paid around $550.00 for it. I feel like I got a good deal on both. LOL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any recommendations for someone to hard chrome the hand and pawl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom