• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    People need to understand that cleaning guns after each time they are fired, go back to the days of corrosive powders, corrosive primers, and bio or plant based oils that oxidize.

With modern ammunition and modern lubricants cleaning after each time a gun is shot is unnecessary.

It was brought up already by Babalou. Do you change the oil on your car after each time you drive it? Of course not, you use a service plan.

The urge to clean is something after shooting, was either passed on by family elders, or was ingrained from the Military. It had purpose when different propellants and primers were used.

These topics are rarely questions. Before the question is posted 99/100 of the people who start these threads have made up their mind, no mater the evidence offered.

It's your gun, so do what you please, but you can be doing damage in the effort to ensure reliable function.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I clean every time I shoot but I'm 100% certain that's not necessary. I could probably get away with NEVER cleaning some of my firearms and have no problems with either reliability or corrosion.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If I've been practicing with something I actually carry, it gets a quick drop or two of re-lube on the slide friction points, and that excess bit of CLP helps with a modest wipe-down to remove the combustion products on the exterior of the slide/muzzle. Mostly because I don't want to carry around a grubby gun. If it's been a few hundred rounds, then it's quick field-strip-and-qtip time. A really thorough tear-down is a rare event indeed.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Old habits die hard. I clean after every shooting.

I have a phobia of my gun jamming if not cleaned.

That probably stems from my life in military where during every spare time we sat around and cleaned our rifle

The military does many things wrong when it comes to firearm maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    When it starts to malfunction or maybe before a big match. My competition pistols go thousands of rounds without cleaning and I have an AR that hasn't had anything but Mobil 1 added to it in like two years and 2000+ rounds. I shoot a ton and haven't got the time to be anal about cleaning guns. Long term storage or corrosive black powder is a different story but modern guns is as little as possible.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Fall back into the Military training myself, many habits stayed with me: Can't sit with my back to a door, constantly scanning the perimeter, eat like there is only 2 seconds before we move out, fall asleep as soon as my head hits a pillow anywhere, and keep my weapons spotless and ready. Now, if only I had kept up the PT routine after I got married as well...….

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I use RemOil wipes, cloth patches, a bore snake, CLP, and a few drops of Rem Oil before reassembly. My guns have always run 100%, and sometimes with extended periods between cleaning.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    perhaps correct but perhaps for a reason

The military does many things wrong when it comes to firearm maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most folks like us do not have the funds to just replace parts, especially barrels whenever we choose. We need to take better care than the military does. One of my younger brothers who just became a DC FF Captain was in the Marines. I posted a pic of him holding Stanley during the Caps parade. I told him I would pay for an Armorer's class from SOTAR. He declined and said he does what he did in the military. Definitely ingrained.

How you doing, my friend?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    most folks like us do not have the funds to just replace parts, especially barrels whenever we choose. We need to take better care than the military does. One of my younger brothers who just became a DC FF Captain was in the Marines. I posted a pic of him holding Stanley during the Caps parade. I told him I would pay for an Armorer's class from SOTAR. He declined and said he does what he did in the military. Definitely ingrained.

How you doing, my friend?

Henceforth on MDS, you will also be known as Joey Tribiani

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It depends on the firearm in question. My ARs get hosed out with Brake Cleaner, bore snaked, then lubed with Mobile 1 when I feel like it. My 1911s and 2011s get taken down, scrubbed with Hoppe's No 9, bore snaked, and lubed with Lucas oil every 500 rounds. Modern semi-autos get the same when I feel like doing it. Shotguns get bore snaked after every shooting session, bolt guns, too. Revolvers get cleaned when they get cleaned, which isn't often. Except when I use black powder. They get cleaned as soon as I get home. They get a lot of grease prior to shooting anyway, it makes clean up easier. Most of my competition guns are either AR or 1911/2011 based. If I go to a big match or class, I don't have time to clean during the event, so I try to find out how long it takes for them to have problems before cleaning. Same with a SHTF situation, I don't want to have to be cleaning if I have a lot of zombies or whatever running me down.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Bore cleaning, I use 2 patches wet with KG-1, bore brush 15 strokes, 1 wet patch, then dry patch until clean. clean! What little copper I get is removed by KG-1
    I lube with Slip 2000 and most crud wipes off with a rag from the outside of bolt and in the action. This works with most of my rifles but will depend on bore condition

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    For me it depends if it's a bolt gun, AR/AK, shotgun, semi auto pistol, revolver, muzzle loader, .22s etc. They all get cleaned differently.
    My cleaners include:
    Brass brush
    Plastic brush
    old t-shirts
    M-Pro7
    Ballistol
    Rem oil spray
    Hoppes 9
    Compressed air
    Bore snakes
    Otis cleaning kit brass rod with brushes.

It really depends on how I feel, how many rounds went down the tube and what ammo I was shooting. My.22s get a boresnake and wiped down. My 9mm AR gets a full cleaning as it gets really dirty and has issues feeding if too much carbon builds up in the chamber. My K22 starts to build up lead in the forcing cone after 50 rounds so that gets cleaned more meticulously. The minimum is a patch/bore snake with some rem-oil and the outside wiped down with a rag.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For shotgun, I often use these:

They work decently enough when you haven't shot the hell out of your bores, and even when you have, I find the $1.50 or so per shot to be worth it to have less time involved in cleaning down the road.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    For all you religious cleaning guys....a universal bore guide will hope to preserve the barrel. $40 or so is well worth it.

Use nylon brushes also, boretech makes good stuff.

-3 wet patches of boretech solution
    -15 passes with nylon brush, let sit for 5 mins
    -patch till clean/dry

Or with wipe out...
    -3 wet patches of boretech
    -spray wipeout and leave overnight(muzzle pointed down so the gunk doesn't get into action)
    -patch till clean

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Run a patch soaked in Boretech solvent on a slotted jag through the breech end if possible and remove when it comes out the other end.

While I wait for that to work, I clean the receiver and chamber with Ezzox or more Boretech if it's especially bad.

If it's not been 8-10 minutes from the first patch wait until it is.

Push tight fitting patches on a patch jag from the breech end out the muzzle. Stop when they come out clean (usually no more than 3).

Push a patch soaked with Ezzox on a slotted jag through the bore.

Wipe the remaining metal down with Ezzox so it looks wet.

Set aside for a few hours.

Wipe excess Ezzox off. Push a patch through the bore on a slotted jag to remove any excess Ezzox there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I clean the bore of my rifle (s) every time I shoot and wipe the metal down with light machine oil. One two or five shots. Cant stand not to do it never damaged a firearm in 40 years. The only time I do not clean is while deer hunting and even then Ill wipe the bore out with wd 40 or that rem oil stuff until the season is over. One exception may be 35 or 44cal rifles and surely if they have become wet.
    I'm even considering making Giza cotton bed pillow patches just to be sure:) finest cotton on the plant :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom