Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 24th, 2019, 12:23 AM #31

"The S&W 686 no-dash was designed to head to head with the Python and early accuracy tests by independent magazines with Ransom rests seemed to bear this out. How do modern 686s fare? Unknown. I haven't seen any tests. One early test I did see was a 586 4-inch that was independently purchased. It's accuracy blew the testers away. Later, 686s were tested with nearly the same results. I wish GUN TESTS would do such tests today. Off handed shooting is okay, but it's not the same."

The trend in the past 12 years or so has been of the "hand held" mentality. The writers tend to indicate that is what matters...almost avoiding group testing altogether. So what is the shooting ability of the writer? I loved any accuracy testing of firearms written about. So if the gun is tested what is the design's inherent accuracy? Sandbagged, benched, machine rest testing... I have seen it peek out here and there lately, but not near as much as before the currrent trend started.
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:32 AM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMexicanBob View Post
The Ruger Security-Six series...Security Six, Service Six and Seed Six...are much lamented and should not have been discontinued. They are and were outstanding revolvers (once you install better grips on them). I have nothing against the GP-100 but it's too large and heavy for police duty use or civilian concealed carry. To my way of thinking...a revolver of its size and weight there should be a bigger hole in the barrel and chambers.
Yep, but the GP-100 also is too large and heavy (in my view) for hiking, hunting and fishing --- probably for camping as well. If you've got a camper and you can slip it somewhere where it won't have to be carried, the gun will be okay. The very thought of hauling a 6-inch GP-100 on a nice invigorating hike makes me want to stay home. The 6-inch Security-Six is far easier to carry, and I know hunters who have carried them. I don't know of a single hunter that has carried a 6-inch GP-100 hiking, hunting or fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The only complaint I heard about the Six series was that due to no side plate, they were harder to do a good trigger job on them. But this was back in the 70s, when they were new, and maybe later, they figured them out better.

The Security-Six has a solid frame, which greatly adds to it's strength.

The Ruger action is more difficult to do a good action job on because of the size of the parts; the lack of a side płate has nothing to do with it. The lack of a side plate does make the gun significantly stronger, however. A fellow i knew with the NRA technical service had a S&W 19. He said he needed to have it retimed after firing about 2,000 hot magnum rounds and a bunch of regular .38s. After the retiming, he he fired another 2,000 hot magnum rounds. This time, he said, the frame fatigue caused it to slightly warp, and it was impossible to retime. He then only shot .38 wadcutters through it. His next gun was a Ruger Security-Six, and he fired well over ten thousand hot magnum rounds through it, and it had no sign of wear.

Gun legend Skeeter Skelton said he personally knew of three Security-Six revolvers that had each fired 300,000 magnum rounds. One was a bit out of time, he said. The other two were fine. And there are gun rental places that claim hundreds of thousands of rounds have been fired with no ill effects.

This is why I was disturbed to hear that Ruger was beefing up their Security-Six when the one thing the bloody gun didn't need, and that was beefing up. I suspect that when S&W announced it was beefing up its 13/64/19/66, the folks at Ruger decided they should do the same. The 686 is a great gun, but it's heavy. Damn accurate, though. The GP-100 offers no real advantage in stregth, and no advantage in accuracy, but it does weigh a lot more if you feel like going on an 10-mile hike!

S&W 686 (top) and a Ruger Security-Six.
Cold Steel is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns