New To Forum-Looking for the best price on an XD40 somewhere around Calvert County

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm wanting to purchase my first handgun. After much research, I've decided on the Springfield Armory XD40 (XD9302HCP06 to be exact) with stainless slide (they call it BiTone). I wanted a Sig 229 Equinox, but I'm too cheap to buy that one. It was $1069 (ouch!) at Fred's Sports.

I've been to the three shops that I know of; Fred's Sports in Waldorf (only had all black for $550), The Tackle Box in Lexington Park (had the BiTone for $579 or $599, can't remember), and The Armory (I think?) in Prince Frederick (they didn't have it but said they could get the all black one for $515).

Anyway, my question is..... Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I keep seeing great prices online (did see one price that seems a few months old for $469!), but it seems like too much of a pain in the ass to try and buy one that way (which is strange because I'm an IT guy and I buy EVERYTHING on the internet). Are there more gun shops that I should go to, should I buy online or should I just pay the prices of the places I already went to? I'm hearing about gun shows from a few people, but in reading the reviews of the last few gun shows in Maryland it seems everyone was very disappointed.

Also, can anyone give me some "ammo" to use when my wife says "you're not even going to use it, just like that stupid toy car you bought and never drive....."? I don't know of any ranges around here either so I don't really have much to say back to her :); too bad I only have one acre and close neighbors or I'd just set up a range in my backyard.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm wanting to purchase my first handgun. After much research, I've decided on the Springfield Armory XD40 (XD9302HCP06 to be exact) with stainless slide (they call it BiTone). I wanted a Sig 229 Equinox, but I'm too cheap to buy that one. It was $1069 (ouch!) at Fred's Sports.

I've been to the three shops that I know of; Fred's Sports in Waldorf (only had all black for $550), The Tackle Box in Lexington Park (had the BiTone for $579 or $599, can't remember), and The Armory (I think?) in Prince Frederick (they didn't have it but said they could get the all black one for $515).

Anyway, my question is..... Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I keep seeing great prices online (did see one price that seems a few months old for $469!), but it seems like too much of a pain in the ass to try and buy one that way (which is strange because I'm an IT guy and I buy EVERYTHING on the internet). Are there more gun shops that I should go to, should I buy online or should I just pay the prices of the places I already went to? I'm hearing about gun shows from a few people, but in reading the reviews of the last few gun shows in Maryland it seems everyone was very disappointed.

Also, can anyone give me some "ammo" to use when my wife says "you're not even going to use it, just like that stupid toy car you bought and never drive....."? I don't know of any ranges around here either so I don't really have much to say back to her :); too bad I only have one acre and close neighbors or I'd just set up a range in my backyard.

Welcome to MDShooters! :beer:

I am from Calvert County as well, and I can pretty much guarantee you that the lowest price you will find around here (and probably anywhere in the state of MD for that matter) will be Nick Cromwell in Great Mills. He does not have a storefront, but if you give him a call he will hook you up. Make sure you tell him that you are a member of MDShooters. His info can be found here -> http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4820

As for ranges, I shoot at Sanner's Lake. in Lexington Park. The membership year is coming to a close, and it is time for renewals. I know that right now there are no empty spots, but if you submit an application right now you may be able to get a spot if someone decides to let their membership expire.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Welcome to MDshooters!

I have a xd9 in bitone, its a great firearm, but the stainless finish on mine was awful. Its a model that is a few years old, but it would develop rust within days. It was impossible to keep clean. I'd buy another xd, but not a bitone, its not high quailty stainless, i got so frustrated i had mine gun-coated black. I'd recommend sticking with the factory black finish.

As far as a what to tell the wife, "its better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." Explain to her that firearms retain excellent value, with many actually appreciating. If i had a time machine i would almost recommend investing in russian sks's over an investment in gold. I think both are about a 400% return over the last decade. Everyonce in a while you should also convince her to watch a good zombie flick, and remind her that the ones who live the longest in those movies are the ones that are armed and prepared;), works with my wife at least.

This website has some very powerful images, that are really geared towards woman, to explain to them the basic concept :
    http://www.a-human-right.com/

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Welcome to MDShooters! :beer:

I am from Calvert County as well, and I can pretty much guarantee you that the lowest price you will find around here (and probably anywhere in the state of MD for that matter) will be Nick Cromwell in Great Mills. He does not have a storefront, but if you give him a call he will hook you up. Make sure you tell him that you are a member of MDShooters. His info can be found here -> http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4820

As for ranges, I shoot at Sanner's Lake. in Lexington Park. The membership year is coming to a close, and it is time for renewals. I know that right now there are no empty spots, but if you submit an application right now you may be able to get a spot if someone decides to let their membership expire.

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I will contact Nick Cromwell for sure.

Membership? That sucks. I was thinking you could just go somewhere and start shooting after paying a few bucks. I suppose there are numerous regulations for ranges to go along with our gun laws? I'm amazed at the laws in "The Free State" where hunting has such immense popularity (at least in much of Maryland). They seem to be so strict compared to like every single other state.

Thanks! :)

Welcome to MDshooters!

I have a xd9 in bitone, its a great firearm, but the stainless finish on mine was awful. Its a model that is a few years old, but it would develop rust within days. It was impossible to keep clean. I'd buy another xd, but not a bitone, its not high quailty stainless, i got so frustrated i had mine gun-coated black. I'd recommend sticking with the factory black finish.

As far as a what to tell the wife, "its better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." Explain to her that firearms retain excellent value, with many actually appreciating. If i had a time machine i would almost recommend investing in russian sks's over an investment in gold. I think both are about a 400% return over the last decade. Everyonce in a while you should also convince her to watch a good zombie flick, and remind her that the ones who live the longest in those movies are the ones that are armed and prepared;), works with my wife at least.

This website has some very powerful images, that are really geared towards woman, to explain to them the basic concept :
    http://www.a-human-right.com/

Thanks for the info. I know I have read that Springfield Armory has at least changed the coating on the black part of the guns because it was wearing, hopefully they've done the same with the stainless part? I'll check around on that though, I'm glad you mentioned that.

My wife doesn't care that I buy the handgun, she just doesn't think that I'm going to use it.... However, I rarely listen to her anyways ;). The strange thing is that her dad is an avid hunter and has many guns. Also, she hates zombie movies and won't watch them with me so that idea is out. I tried to use the "a natural disaster will make people go crazy, breaking into houses for food, water, guns, vandalism, etc." She didn't say anything but I'm pretty sure I "heard" her roll her eyes. Oh well, she doesn't understand half of what I do anyway, so why waste my time, right?

Thanks!

Last edited:

07KimberTLE

Mar 16, 2008
    Lexington Park, MD
    I bought an XD .40 about a year and a half ago. I believe I paid around $450 for it but that was in VA. I have the service model with a 4 inch barrel and love it. I have also shot the tactical model with the 5inch barrel and it was pretty accutrate. Just my 2 cents

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I am new to this site as well. You could try checking out gun shows but some prices are more expensive than locals cuz they want to make a buck or hundred on unsuspecting people that dont know any better. Ive seen that not experienced haha! you might find a deal on www.gunbroker.com and get it transferred to a local dealer that has an FFl for a fee. then you can buy it from the local guy. I can say used SIG's are just as good as a new one if in the right condition. I bought a used sig and have not had any problems with it...plus is much more accurate than a P.O.S. Glock...<----my opinion others may disagree but that is their opinion. Yes I know very different guns but still I owned a Glock and got rid of it once I bought the SIG 220.

Phoenix

Apr 15, 2008
    You may want to take a look at Southern Maryland Firearms in St. Mary's County. It is run by a guy named Tom Bennett. He does not stock much but can order just about anything including Class III items. I bought my XD40 from him last year. I have been doing business with him for over 10 years. Right now he has a suppressor that I am waiting for the paperwork to clear. Hopefully in a few more weeks my SBR will be at his shop waiting for me to do the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom