• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nokeys

Jul 1, 2019
    Midwest Industries USAF GAU-5A-P Pistol Clone

I tried searching and didn't come up with anything regarding this clone, only some history of the AR-15/M-16 talking about the military version and another mention of the legit military issue in a post from photoracer https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243708&page=16.

My question is specific to the clone, which is not full auto. It is a pistol, no hbar worries to knowledge. But the site says at https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/578.htm that it is not for sale in MD.

I don't immediately see any reason for it not to be able to be for sale in MD other than it isn't on the handgun roster. It doesn't appear to be on the list, to be on the list of not approved, or to be on a list of something that is still going through the process.

So, am I missing something here that would exclude it from potentially being submitted and eventually added.

Figured I'd ask before I try re-reading the appropriate sections of MD code for criminal activities and public safety. I bang my head on the desk enough a work... didn't want to do it at home too.

Or is this just possibly that the company doesn't want to deal with Maryland at all?

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I assume it just means that it's not on the roster.

I'd get the upper from them, and build the rest yourself.

ETA: Or just build the whole thing from parts. They give you the list right there.

nokeys

Jul 1, 2019
    There is a thread on this firearm already.

OK, it came up in the Guns I Had To Have thread.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?243708&p=5874775#post5874775

Yup, that is one of the two posts I mentioned first about my results of the search. The URL I had goes to the thread and the page with that post on it. I didn't think to dig up the URL for the individual post. Sorry.

But no, the product I'm looking at is not the same firearm. I guess my cut and paste of the name didn't grab the -P when I created the title. I'm looking at the pistol clone GAU-5A-P. Sorry about that.

nokeys

Jul 1, 2019
    12.5" barrel you say? I say get it and submit for the SBR...

Is the pistol brace the issue for MD sales? I didn't recall anything I read saying it was.

Didn't want to get too much into modifying or building things. The legal difference are still confusing to me. Also would rather not deal with a SBR.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Is the pistol brace the issue for MD sales? I didn't recall anything I read saying it was.

Didn't want to get too much into modifying or building things. The legal difference are still confusing to me. Also would rather not deal with a SBR.

The issue is that it comes with 30 round magazines. Some places don't want to deal with Maryland because of that. Buy the upper, build a pistol lower with the grip that you can buy with the upper, then go out of state and buy magazines and you are perfectly legal.

Edit: Looks like Midwest just doesn't want to deal with figuring out Maryland laws because they won't sell any firearm to someone in Maryland, even those that are not banned.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

No they are not.

It is easy to swap the buffer tube out after you get your approved form 1 back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom