• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The home heating oil companies are emptying their tanks in anticipation of refilling them with much cheaper oil in the future.

Likely. I hope the low price lasts, or gets lower. Still working on beefing up the energy efficiency of my house. Guy who built it did a fine job. Good quality construction, but he worked as a sup for a home heating company. So I'd imagine he got his oil discounted. Built in 1992, rancher. Attic is only R-30. Walls are well sealed and R-13. Basement was completely un-insulated, 9ft ceilings and about 1/4th above ground.

I've finally (yesterday!) finished framing the exterior walls of the basement. 1" Iso foam on all the cinderblock foundation walls, 2x4 with R-13 in the cavities for the basement. Made a huge and noticeable difference even though I won't have finished the last of the 2x4 insulation until tomorrow (all the foamboard was up by January as well as about half the walls and fiberglass insulation).

He'd insulated the floor between the basement and the main floor. I am reusing what I didn't use for the rim joist insulation in the attic, but will still need to get some more (he used R-19 in the floor). Want to replace the siding at some point with something not the color it is and will install probably 3/4" EPS foam under the siding. I also have new windows for the basement to replace the single pan glass hopper windows.

The window replacement might wait a few months till things calm down. Rather not replace the windows and find one got broken out by something. Or someone.

At any rate, I'd bet I can knock down the heating needs of the house by at least 30-40% more.

Oh, also the water heating is done from the hydronic oil/wood boiler system. I plan to install a drain water heat recovery system which should knock back my energy use for heating water by 20-30% also (best guess that'll save me about 25-35 gallons of heating oil a year, factoring in about half my heating needs in the winter are from burning wood).

Anyway, been in the house for almost a year now. Best guess with the mild winter I had and talking to the former owner (I keep the thermostat down at 67 day and 62 night, he kept it at 71 day, 65 night) he burned probably 1.5 cords of wood and around 500 gallons of heating oil a year. I burned through 400 gallons this year and a little less than 1.5 cords of wood.

I'd guess just the work I've done on the basement will probably save a few more bundles of wood and 20-30 more gallons of oil for a winter (basement was at least partially insulated before the winter really started and got better/more done as the winter progressed).

I am hoping the attic insulation knocks it back another 40-60 gallons (its a LOT of ceiling square footage plus all of the attic duct work that would then be buried in insulation). Siding might save another 20-40 a year. Aiming to get it down below 300 gallons of heating oil a year and around a cord of firewood. Or try to burn some more wood and maybe try to get it closer to 200 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom