Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:57 PM #21

A quick spray of alcohol will not help.

For alcohol, it needs to be wet for at least 30 seconds to kill this virus.

Bleach would be better.

For gloves, you should put on a pair, open the box. Remove the gloves (and dispose of them), and put on a fresh pair to remove the contents and take them into the house. Remove those gloves and dispose of them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 08:29 PM #22

I spray the box with 10% bleach and let it sit. I have enough bleach for several months of sterilizing and water purification duties. I then dump the product out like one dumps med. equipment onto a sterile field on the back porch in the sun for some natural sun UV sterilizing. If not sunny, a little more bleach on the product. I have a UVC light wand unit on order. I'll just wand everything after getting that using proper precautions.
nedsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 09:02 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If there is no metal in the letters, what about putting them into the microwave for 10 seconds? Not long enough to start a fire, but wouldn't that kill any bio hazard?

For boxes, what about using alcohol from the paint department in a hand sprayer to dampen the box? (I know we don't want to use that on our skin)
Microwaves require water or liquids to work efficiently. They work by making water, fats and to a lesser extent sugars move which causes heat. Microwaving, in my opinion, will not help. Lots of good suggestions here though! Viruses get in people the easiest by the contaminated hands going into your mouth and nose. What I've been telling my parents is just pretend that everything you touch is raw chicken. You'd want to wash your hands before you pick your nose!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 10:08 PM #24

Thanks OPer for this thread. My wife and I are both in the very high risk group. I'm stocked up pretty good. I figure good for 3-4 months. We don't leave the house. Only problem is the mail. Wife wants to open it. I don't.

The mail comes at noon. I pick it up the next morning. It gets pulled out of the box with a stick and put in a bucket. The bucket goes in the shed and rotated every 5 days. The fifth day goes to the house (the wife.) We've only ordered a couple packages. I don't know when I'm going to open them. I figured 2-3 weeks.

My daughter called tonight and said she heard that more tests were done on a cruise ship? and that they found traces of the virus on some surfaces 17 days from the first test.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I didn't do all this stocking up and wiping a million things down to get all this stuff here to be done in by a bunch of junk mail that we probably don't need anyway. Thanks for this thread. I will be reading what others are doing.
namrelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 03:16 AM #25
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Lots of information and studies coming out and I'm citing this paper if you have access. Many reports suggest that SARS-Cov2 can last hours to days depending on the surface. Coppers and Cardboard (probably mail envelopes too, but not sure) about a day if they're heavily contaminated. Stainless steel and Plastic hours to days. I think the best advice for you and all members here is to be absolutely vigilant with handling anything outside of your home. Set up a mail station where you unwrap stuff. I find it incredibly unlikely that you would get infected by coronavirus by breathing the air around contaminated mail/packages. Wash your hands before you touch the product and clean it if necessary. I am an infectious disease researcher at JHU and all the advice we're giving to families and loved ones is to wash, wash wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many times people touch their eyes, nose and mouth daily.

Using heat, disinfectant or UV lights might work but there is absolutely no studies for those with this particular virus. These methods work for other pathogens, but there have been no studies with the coronavirus. Therefore, the tried and true method of washing hands and avoiding people is your safest and most practical solution to staying healthy. I hope everyone stays sane out there!
Coronavirus Traces Lingered in Vacated Cruise Cabins for 17 Days

Quote:
Traces of new coronavirus were found on surfaces in cruise-ship cabins for as many as 17 days after passengers left, researchers said, though it wasn’t possible to determine whether they caused any infections
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ys/ar-BB11B6sF
adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 03:55 AM #26
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Coronavirus Traces Lingered in Vacated Cruise Cabins for 17 Days

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ys/ar-BB11B6sF
As posted in another thread, there was no test for infectious SARS-CoV-2. The CDC report said that they had a personal communication from a Japanese researcher using a highly sensitive technique that he was able to detect virus genomes in cabins where there were sick people. This is no surprise. There should be remnants of dead viruses throughout these cabins. Moreover, this isn't even scientific research, it's someone told me this thing. The data need to be provided and then peer reviewed. It's reckless for reporters to suggest that this could be infectious material when this was never demonstrated, but this is also the fault of folks at CDC who included this personal communication without following it up with a lot of caveats.

The NEJM report on infectious SARS-CoV-2 persistence on different surfaces is much more credible.
Old March 24th, 2020, 04:22 AM #27
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscat View Post
Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?
The OP is following protocols I've seen suggested. I don't think I want to die on a respirator or worse because there are too few. I've seen a loved one dying gasping for every breath like a fish. His actions may be saving not only him, but others from the same fate.

If this was fallout from a nuclear device would you think it was excessive if he took steps such as changing clothes to keep from carrying particles back into his house?

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 08:20 AM #28
Get off my lawn

Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If there is no metal in the letters, what about putting them into the microwave for 10 seconds? Not long enough to start a fire, but wouldn't that kill any bio hazard?

For boxes, what about using alcohol from the paint department in a hand sprayer to dampen the box? (I know we don't want to use that on our skin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Microwaves require water or liquids to work efficiently. They work by making water, fats and to a lesser extent sugars move which causes heat. Microwaving, in my opinion, will not help. Lots of good suggestions here though! Viruses get in people the easiest by the contaminated hands going into your mouth and nose. What I've been telling my parents is just pretend that everything you touch is raw chicken. You'd want to wash your hands before you pick your nose!
For things that can be wet, try hydrogen peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide can be very effective in killing viruses and germs that commonly form in your home. It's most effective used in commercially available products combined with other germ-killing substances, or in a home DIY treatment combined with white vinegar. It's safest to allow up to 30 minutes after disinfecting to consider an area "cleaned." However, using professional cleaners that use hydrogen peroxide as an ingredient along with other substances, such as Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner and Lysol Cleaner with Hydrogen Peroxide (Citrus Sparkle Zest) can kill bacteria and viruses as quickly as 30 to 60 seconds.

Hydrogen peroxide is regularly used for sterilizing medical equipment and surfaces and is favored as a disinfectant over bleach because it eventually degrades safely into a non-toxic mix of water and oxygen. Cleaners that contain hydrogen peroxide are recommended for killing viruses and pathogens such as those that cause the flu, H1N1 and oral streptococci. The Centers for Disease Control says 3% hydrogen peroxide "is a stable and effective disinfectant when used on inanimate surfaces." Research has also found it to be effective in disinfecting fabrics used in hospitals such as bed sheets and surgical equipment.
Jeffrey A. Perkins Heated Debate JUL 27, 2015 post #15 (on http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...ry-guns-public ) Our government was tasked with protecting freedoms and should it fail, our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of those freedoms is not necessary.
Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 08:24 AM #29
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

There's no peroxide available.
Old March 24th, 2020, 08:39 AM #30
Get off my lawn

Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
There's no peroxide available.
I have a lot that I always use around the house. I posted that in case someone has some and didn't know they could use it to disinfect some things. Maybe it's too late now, but perhaps a pool and spa place might still have some?
Jeffrey A. Perkins Heated Debate JUL 27, 2015 post #15 (on http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...ry-guns-public ) Our government was tasked with protecting freedoms and should it fail, our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of those freedoms is not necessary.
Mike is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers

Tags
you're all wrong