• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    ETA: having an unprogrammed HT with no knowledge of repeater and node frequencies is very close to having a gun with no bullets.

The analogy I use with people who think they can buy an amateur radio without a license is like having a gun without regular trips to the range. We have to be well practiced and know how the equipment works.

I'll say this again: it's really not that hard to pass the tech exam. A free exam prep guide is here:
    https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v1-1.pdf

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Made few quick contacts on 80 tonight to check things out. Band was wall to wall, like a contest was going on. Tuner didn't want to tune the wire to 80 at first (no idea why) but seems fine now.

I use HDSDR as a panadapter to my 7300, and you could go from one conversation to the next, and never miss a beat on COVID 19.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I gave away all of my hf/vhf/uhf gear a few years ago, and been off the air for a bit longer. I finally decided to get back in to it, and recently picked up a D74a from HRO in DE. I am kind of surprised at just how dead the repeaters in my area are.

I have printed out the amateur repeater frequencies in my area (MD, PA, WV, and VA), and leave them in the car just in case. I've also printed the FRS/GMRS frequencies so I can listen there as well.

I am hoping to get a HF radio in the next few months, and am leaning towards the Xiegu G90, so I can run it in my car.

To be honest if SHTF, I'm not sure who I would talk to anyway. lol

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    On the air with the net.

Good net

Another opportunity to check in to a net and hone your skills is the monthly Maryland/DC HF Hospital Net on 3.820 MHz. Next one is 22 April at 1845 local time. Call Sign, First Name, and Location is all that's required.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Just closed moderating my first 'net' - a ham radio first for me. Had two stations (Jeff in Indian Head, and Charlie in Silver Spring) join in on 80 meters (3.867 Mhz). Not sure they would want their calls repeated here, so I'll refrain from posting a 'log' of the net. Small turnout but a turn out nonetheless!

I'll try again next week. Thanks to both of you for checking in and politely dealing with my poor "net moderation" skills! I wanted to keep it short and sweet on the first go around but am open to any suggestions.

Brent
    KD4VMM

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ordered a multi band wire antenna.

Anyone for a socially distanced antenna party when it comes in? Pizza will be supplied. :D

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Dang it - need to clean the office and hang the EFHW in the trees. Maybe some activity work for this weekend, since I am not going to be able to go to the squad anytime soon (employer issues). W3YUT

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    Just started studying for my HAM tech exam. Got the app and studying 30 min a day. Been a prep of mine I've been procrastinating on for a while. Pretty excited to dive into this new hobby!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just started studying for my HAM tech exam. Got the app and studying 30 min a day. Been a prep of mine I've been procrastinating on for a while. Pretty excited to dive into this new hobby!

I've been studying with the ARRL technician manual for about 2 weeks now.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've been studying with the ARRL technician manual for about 2 weeks now.

Good.

If you haven't already, check out hamstudy.org.

You can take the test for free without signing up. If you sign up (also free but requires email) then it will keep track of your progress. It helps by grouping the questions together by category and can help point out to you what you need to focus on.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Good.

If you haven't already, check out hamstudy.org.

You can take the test for free without signing up. If you sign up (also free but requires email) then it will keep track of your progress. It helps by grouping the questions together by category and can help point out to you what you need to focus on.

Bookmarked, thanks. I used a similar engine when I studied for and passed my CISSP certification exam last month. That's why I decided to finally go for my ham license. If I can pass that damned CISSP exam, I can pass the Amateur Radio license tests.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Bookmarked, thanks. I used a similar engine when I studied for and passed my CISSP certification exam last month. That's why I decided to finally go for my ham license. If I can pass that damned CISSP exam, I can pass the Amateur Radio license tests.

I took the state HVAC Journeyman's exam and Tech exam the same week. Nailed them both. Going to start studying for the General so I can take it when testing resumes.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Don't forget the strategy of just taking both elements at the same time even though you have only studied for the tech. Often doesn't cost anything and then you can study the General stuff at your leisure if you accidentally pass it.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Don't forget the strategy of just taking both elements at the same time even though you have only studied for the tech. Often doesn't cost anything and then you can study the General stuff at your leisure if you accidentally pass it.

I have materials for both Technician and General. That's my plan. Much of the Technician to me seems like review, so I think that's a good sign.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I am planning to be on at 9PM Wednesday again. I am open to any ideas that folks have. We can keep it short and set like last time - just check in and one or two go-rounds for input/sitrep, equip check, etc. or we can hit some topics that folks want to discuss. I'm not really intending this to turn into a rag chew, mostly just trying to get folks, including myself, to dust of the radio, throw the wire in the tree, and get on the air.

KD4VMM

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Yes, Yes and Yes. I have a few antenna's up, and one is a wire 7 band OCF stretched between two trees. That one has been up for several years and still works great. I mainly use SSB and have not had much interest in digital modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom