• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Long ago, when I lived in Dallas, I used to shoot at rats in my kitchen. I used .22 shorts in my Marlin 39A, and they were so quiet I could hear the hammer drop.

I killed a groundhog last summer by beating it with a shovel. Very effective method. Yes, it was attacking me. Damn thing obviously had rabies, and had been stalking and chasing after the guys on my crew.

Sixth Column

May 19, 2009
    Harford

Attachments

• M007_m.jpg
      M007_m.jpg
      5.6 KB · Views: 189

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    So no one has answered my question yet, is it legal to shoot a groundhog in your backyard?

Do pellet guns fall under the same category as firearms?

I live in A neighborhood and I shot the groundhog don't know if it is legal or not But I used common sense and my shed as a backstop so if I did miss and used low powered ammo for the sound issue and the low velocity is more safe.

Last edited:

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    My wife and I walked into the house and noticed what seemed like hundreds of small holes in the ceiling. What's with all the holes we asked.

Well a squirrel got into the attic last night and since I'm removing the popcorn ceiling anyway I thought I'd have some fun.... said our pastor. LOL

I do believe it is illegal to shoot squirrels in city limits, but his reasoning is that he had a temporary indoor shooting range. ROTFL

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I remember when I was young I had A bat in my bedroom which was pretty much the attic and my father was scared to death of bats so he went up there with his 22 and shot up the walls until he got the bat, luckily he is a painter/drywall finisher by trade :thumbsup:

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I was tols 22 short and 22 long pack the same punch. Just diferent size cases for different guns.

All I know, is that my 22 short is WAY more quiet than my Gamo air rifle. If you need to dispatch critters quietly, go with the 22 short/long. You will have a more effective varmit hunter than a pellet gun, that makes less noise.

.22 Long

40 gr (2.6 g) Solid 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s) 104 ft·lbf (141 J)
    38 gr (2.5 g) Copper-plated HP 1,260 ft/s (380 m/s) 134 ft·lbf (182 J)
    31 gr (2.0 g) Copper-plated HP 1,430 ft/s (440 m/s) 141 ft·lbf (191 J)
    30 gr (1.9 g) Copper-Plated RN 1,750 ft/s (530 m/s) 204 ft·lbf (277 J)
    32 gr (2.1 g) Copper-Plated HP 1,640 ft/s (500 m/s) 191 ft·lbf (259 J)

.22 Short

Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
    15 gr (0.97 g) RN 1,710 ft/s (520 m/s) 97 ft·lbf (132 J)
    27 gr (1.7 g) RN 1,164 ft/s (355 m/s) 81 ft·lbf (110 J)
    29 gr (1.9 g) RN 830 ft/s (250 m/s) 44 ft·lbf (60 J)
    49 gr (3.2 g) RN 1,132 ft/s (345 m/s) 140 ft·lbf (190 J)

For small game hunting in general, the greater energy and wider ammunition selection of the .22 Long Rifle makes it a far superior choice.

shadetech

Fuzzywhomp
    Jan 19, 2009
    ...hence why I've barricaded myself on my front porch desperately trying to stem the onslaught of squirrels. I may not last much longer....send reinforcements, the squirrels are Terminators.

They were part of the SWAT team. Squirrels With Arial Training :lol:

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I love shooting them pesky varmits.

A air rifle makes them laugh at you. I know I have a Gamo 1200fps unit with the special ammo and they laughed at me. So I shot it with my 45!!!!!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I recall someone telling me about a county fire department that would play T-Ball with the varmints. The would hook up a fire hose to one end of the hole and turn it on while another person would stand ready with a baseball bat at the other end. I'm sure it is just an urban legend :innocent0.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    So I guess 00 buck in my Mossberg 500 is too much for a field mouse problem? Additionally, I live in an apartment. My wife does not like glue traps or snap traps. :)

Your local chapter of the Humane Society has what you need. They come in many different colors and sizes. Best part is that the mousetrap will be grateful thereafter, as long as there's a sunny spot for it to sleep.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Your local chapter of the Humane Society has what you need. They come in many different colors and sizes. Best part is that the mousetrap will be grateful thereafter, as long as there's a sunny spot for it to sleep.

That's how I solved my rat problem in Dallas (post 41 above). After trapping and shooting about eight of them, I brought home a stray cat. Rats instantly vanished.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    ...hence why I've barricaded myself on my front porch desperately trying to stem the onslaught of squirrels. I may not last much longer....send reinforcements, the squirrels are Terminators.

sounds like you are overrun. :sad20::sad20: call in an airstrike on your own coordinates. :party29::party29:tell 'em to use napalm -- I've found it quite effective.:lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom