• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I used to trap them and relocate them. After one dug a huge hole near my foundation and the subsequent rain flooded my basement, I terminate them with extreme prejudice.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I took out a mouse once with a home made blow gun. Tube was 1/2" copper pipe and the dart was a nail with a cone of paper taped around it. Takes some practice but definitely carries some energy.

As far as the bubble gum... What is actually poisonous is the xylene in sugar-free gum. One or two pieces can kill a dog or a cat in a couple days if not caught early on and causes organ failure and a horrible death. Dont let your wives keep their purses on the floor. Do the critters some justice and give them a bullet instead of poison like that. And that includes antifreeze which has similar effects to xylene.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Smoke bombs are fairly effective.......

The back of the yard at my old house was a groundhog village.(I don't know how I missed that before closing) I was doing welding contracting at the time so I reeled out the oxy/acetylene hoses and stuck them in one hole and packed rags around it. Then I poured oil on and lit a few rags and stuffed them in a hole about 40' away. When the gas reached the rags it looked like an underground nuclear test. Of course all the neighbors looked to see what happened so I waved and introduced myself as the new neighbor.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Love my .17 HMR for the Whistle Pigs. Took 17 in one field and a total of 21 last year. Only up to 5 or 6 this year cause I ain't been out as much.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    I took out a mouse once with a home made blow gun. Tube was 1/2" copper pipe and the dart was a nail with a cone of paper taped around it. Takes some practice but definitely carries some energy.

As far as the bubble gum... What is actually poisonous is the xylene in sugar-free gum. One or two pieces can kill a dog or a cat in a couple days if not caught early on and causes organ failure and a horrible death. Dont let your wives keep their purses on the floor. Do the critters some justice and give them a bullet instead of poison like that. And that includes antifreeze which has similar effects to xylene.

My moms golden retiever eats gum all the time. I wonder why the stupid thing is still alive.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    The smallest caliber gun my dad has is a 30-30. With a tasco scope thats older then me. It tears thows ground hogs to pieces.

Daym man, that is a hell of a punch for a pig. Before I got my .17 I was using my .243 (also an old Tasco scope) and thought that was over-kill.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Hogs...Can be dangerous.

One morning last summer the Shepherds went off and I saw they had something cornered in the yard. Big Chuck. Fred had his nose raked and was bleeding like crazy, meanwhile Scooter had torn off one of the Hog's rear legs. I ran and got a shovel and beaned the thing and it rolled over. Got the dogs off of it, stopped the bleeding on Fred's nose and penned the boys up. Went back to dispose of the Hog and it was gone. Never to be seen again. Tough suckers.

In Western Md we used to get paid by farmers to shoot the suckers. $.25 each. Just take the tails to the farmer to get paid. I had a Marlin bolt action with a Weaver scope. Wish I still had that gun, it was sweet. For some reason we thought it was cool to hang the carcases on the top strand of barbed wire on the fences. They get all stiff and leathery in the sun. Interesting to look out over the fields and see 20 or 30 Hogs hangin on the fences.

Was more fun than collecting pop bottles for the return fee ($.02 each)

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Hogs...Can be dangerous.

One morning last summer the Shepherds went off and I saw they had something cornered in the yard. Big Chuck. Fred had his nose raked and was bleeding like crazy, meanwhile Scooter had torn off one of the Hog's rear legs. I ran and got a shovel and beaned the thing and it rolled over. Got the dogs off of it, stopped the bleeding on Fred's nose and penned the boys up. Went back to dispose of the Hog and it was gone. Never to be seen again. Tough suckers.

In Western Md we used to get paid by farmers to shoot the suckers. $.25 each. Just take the tails to the farmer to get paid. I had a Marlin bolt action with a Weaver scope. Wish I still had that gun, it was sweet. For some reason we thought it was cool to hang the carcases on the top strand of barbed wire on the fences. They get all stiff and leathery in the sun. Interesting to look out over the fields and see 20 or 30 Hogs hangin on the fences.

Was more fun than collecting pop bottles for the return fee ($.02 each)

Lucky that's all that happened. I've heard of more than one occasion where dogs we're killed by groundhogs. They lay on their back and claw at the dogs belly, splits em open :(

That's why if one comes anywhere near my property line, he's a gonner, same with raccoons and skunks. Used to kill squirrells because they destroyed my garden (would have every squirrell in brandywine in my yard sometimes I swear 10+ at a time). But since I got Buddy I sparingly see squirrells in my yard anymore.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    uhh, i'd personally try to use something that wouldn't hurt the thing so much but just dispatch the critter somewhat humanely....like a spiked club or a gun of signifigant calibre

30-06 works well,, out past 400 yrds. Years ago when I still deer hunted, my property owner wanted me to get rid of his hogs,, so inside of 100yrds was .22, beyond that was deer rifle, 30-06.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom