• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have been questing for one to rival a REAL Philly Cheesesteak for years to no avail. The closest I've found are the ones at King's NY, but that's all the way in Hagerstown=>http://www.kingsnewyorkpizza.com/menus/hagerstown

The previously-mentioned Jersey Mike's are indeed quite good(also one in Hagtown) but where all pretenders to the crown seem to fall short is not with the meat or cheese(and sometimes not even the proportional generosity) but with the bread. There is just nothing like the fresh-n-flaky hoagie rolls of the REAL and w/o it, but a distant 3rd place or worse.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Captain Harvey's is the worst sub around!!! They use to be good like 20 years ago along with nicks in pig town but the greatness of those places is long gone. Nicks has the long grill where you order you sub and they would slab the meat on the grill. Then they would beat it and pass it down the length of the grill where three different people beat it and keep flipping it as you here follow in behind a window. At the end of the grill your bun (which was also on the grill toasting) is ready with everything you wanted on it. With that said I think all sub suck nowadays and found a good one yet but if I had to pick one the Maria d in glen Burnie

SpruceJPG

Dec 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    I've gotten the steak subs from the Bellisimo's next to Sheetz in Westminster quite a few times... had to take it out of the container and put it on a plate because there was no graceful way to eat as-is. Their Chicken cheese steaks are pretty damn good too.

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Jeno's is pretty damn good! I 2nd that.

Pizza Johns in Essex is pretty good and if your ever in Linthicum/Baltimore highlands Johns Italian deli has great cheese steaks and awesome other subs!

+1 for Pizza John's, they use fresh sliced ribeye. I've been eating there since i was a kid in a high chair and that sub still tastes exactly the same!

Alas, not Westminster area, I know. Can't help you there

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Continental Pizza in Kensington.

large sub = 16"
    they give you the large sub as 2 8" subs.

and if you get 2 large subs, it comes as 4x 8" subs.

Thier fish subs are pretty good too

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    Way back in time (before I was born) when Cecil owned Captain Harveys in Logan Village, my father had Cecil build him a "super steak sub" to my father's liking (at a higher price of course). This caught on in a big way real quick and that is how Captain Harveys came to be synonymous with THE steak sub that couldn't be beat. So all, including me, can thank my father (RIP) for that huge, big, and super yummy Captain Harveys steak sub (now at DS).

The LV store is not as good as Danville Square store nowadays as truknbear stated above.

Lou is right. Back in the days when the mills were open, the young guys would hit CH and scarf down a couple of the subs and still be able to down a 40 oz steak at Michael's on Eastern Avenue on a Thursday night for dessert. All for less than twenty bucks. Those were the days.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Captain Harvey's is the worst sub around!!! They use to be good like 20 years ago along with nicks in pig town but the greatness of those places is long gone. Nicks has the long grill where you order you sub and they would slab the meat on the grill. Then they would beat it and pass it down the length of the grill where three different people beat it and keep flipping it as you here follow in behind a window. At the end of the grill your bun (which was also on the grill toasting) is ready with everything you wanted on it. With that said I think all sub suck nowadays and found a good one yet but if I had to pick one the Maria d in glen Burnie

I lived on Scott Street for a while and I now realize that we totally took that place for granted. When I moved down to Pigtown I was told that place had a great cheesesteak and we got subs from them all the time.
    Little did I understand that it was probably the best cheesesteak in the entire city.

Back when I was a kid, my dad used to take me to Jimmy's down in Fell's Point when the old man still ran it and worked the grill.
    He had a "secret" grill sauce that he would squirt on before the meat hit the metal and those subs were just perfect. He had a dime pinball machine too.

Long gone.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks Sirex.

It should would be nice to take a ROAD TRIP@Q but, if ya just want to stay in Westminster, .........?????

I be there a a BUNCH of GREAT places just up the road a little....in ......PHILLY!@!!! :-)

Any other suggestions for Westminster, because now I AM HUNGRY, would love some CHEESECAKE too after seeing that Cannoli :-(

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Moapr, nothing compares to the real deal. And South Philly cheesesteaks are different from those in the Philly suburbs. A decent one near Westminster can be found at Twin Kiss in Finksburg. It's amazing how expensive they are now in South Philly, $9.50. I can recall them being $2.20. But they need to have Cheese Whiz and hot sauce to be authentic, and those ingredients are hard to find here in WM unless you make your own.

TimGB

Jul 10, 2011
    This thread should get merged with the select fire thread.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    As someone said earlier, it is the roll that makes the sandwich. No Amoroso bakeries here in MD. A lot of people say they are so good due to something in the water, sorta like bagels in NYC. The closest thing to a decent cheesesteak (or should I say, steak and cheese) was at Capriotti's on Kent Island. My wife took me to Jeno's in Severna Park and it was pretty sad. She said it was the best place in Anne Arundel and at that point I knew I was going to miss PA even more :(
    On a side note, putting Whiz on a cheesesteak breaks my heart. I know thats the way tourist traps like Pat's and Geno's do it, but its not nearly as good as some American or Provolone.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Captain Harvey's is the worst sub around!!! They use to be good like 20 years ago

They used to be really good but I have heard the same thing, but have not been there in years.

Another vote for Pizza Johns!!!

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I was gonna eat healthy but all this talk made me go out and get one. For those in Harford County, Tamberino's isn't bad in Forest Hill. It's not by any means a stand-out based on quality, but it's quite big and only costs 7 bucks and change.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Continental Pizza in Kensington.

large sub = 16"
    they give you the large sub as 2 8" subs.

and if you get 2 large subs, it comes as 4x 8" subs.

Thier fish subs are pretty good too

Ahh the memories!!! They are tasty!

My recommendation is Magerks in Federal Hill. Cross street and Charles street. They are a "Philly" bar. Hot women too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom