• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    I'm a fan of the model 1903-A3 but after getting my first 1917 I'm instantly hooked and just found another one I like and is cheap, it's been sportarized and blued but is a very pretty gun and already been milled down and been scoped and has a good barrel so I think its gonna be a good shooter but would like to see other 1917's and new ideas to trick one out, so post your pics of yours :party29:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have looked at a couple, and admit to being a little curious.

Probably never will buy one unless one drops in my lap just because I have enough platforms floating around to support.

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    Very pretty Skip! Lol and my other 1917 I wanna restore to look like yours but looking for the scope mount that mounts over the rear sight but I don't wanna have the rear sight milled down. I have a 85% original Eddy Stone and the one I laid back looks awsome since it's been sportarised since they scoped it, put a pretty wood stock on it, did a gorgeous blueing job on it and looks like it has a new barrel on it so once I get it home I'll see how it shoots and probably be hunting this coming deer season.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Please, please, please do not "trick one out".

If you're looking for already sporterized examples. or if you have one that's already been drilled and tapped, that's one thing, but please don't destroy the history of these fine old relics. You can buy a perfectly good good sporter if that's what you want, but there is absolutely no excuse for altering an unmolested 1917.

Please don't "trick out" a 1917, or any historic relic. That's what AR15s are for!

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    My Only Example

Wears the original 1918 barrel. Needs to be replaced though. :sad20:

Attachments

• IMG_20130219_202929.jpg
      IMG_20130219_202929.jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 511
    • IMG_20130219_203010.jpg
      IMG_20130219_203010.jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 519

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Here's ours. It was my late father in-law's deer rifle and the first rifle I ever shot. While I have enormous sentimental attachment to it the problem with this rifle is that there's no windage adjustment on the rear sight.

I promised to shoot the rifle at least once per year in a match in honor of my father in-law's memory so I needed to do something about a rifle that, well, frankly shot 4" high and 4" to the left at 100 yards.

What I needed was a new old stock front sight that was higher and a tool to push the front sight for windage. I got the new front sight easy enough but what to do about the windage...

Shown in the 2 bottom photos is the "tool" I had made to push the front sight to zero.

The "tool" is a standard SKS front sight alignment tool ($5 at a gun show) I had milled down to go through the 1911's front sight guard.

By the way, I have received lots of compliments on my tool. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2051S.jpg
      IMG_2051S.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 488
    • IMG_1932s.jpg
      IMG_1932s.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 493
    • IMG_1933s.jpg
      IMG_1933s.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 488
    • SKStool.jpg
      SKStool.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 480
    • IMG_2061S.jpg
      IMG_2061S.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 473

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    This is how the rifle shot BEFORE the new sight and front sight adjustment.
    The 1917 is no slouch when it comes to accuracy:

100 yards:

Attachments

• IMG_2032s.jpg
      IMG_2032s.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 468

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    Nice rifle BigSteve. I wish the previous owner(s) of mine hadn't sanded the stock. Is that bayonet real or a repro? I've been thinking of getting one of the repro's, but am unsure of the quality.
    That sight pusher mod is cool too.

Heck, all the rifles look good so far.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Nice rifle BigSteve. I wish the previous owner(s) of mine hadn't sanded the stock. Is that bayonet real or a repro? I've been thinking of getting one of the repro's, but am unsure of the quality.
    That sight pusher mod is cool too.

Heck, all the rifles look good so far.

The bayo is real.

Side 1 denotes it is a standard 1917 Remington.
    Side 2 shows the "shell and flame" used by the Ordnance corps and is the oldest branch insignia in the Army, "US" stamping and inspector's X mark.The X marking was originally a British mark which meant that the blade passed a bend test. I do not know if the X mark means it passed that particlar test or some other test(s). The eagle head over the number (looks like 26) is an indication of final inspection. The number indicated an individual inspector.

Bayonets are complicated.

Attachments

• IMG_8182s.jpg
      IMG_8182s.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 321
    • IMG_8183s.jpg
      IMG_8183s.jpg
      20.6 KB · Views: 313
    Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Heres mine, its a WW2 refurb Eddystone. Unfortunately, somebody felt the need to "improve" the looks of the stock like so many others. I got it for a good price though so Im not complaining. Its all correct Eddystone except for the Winchester marked bolt. I suspect that it was sent as lend-lease aid as it has an import marked barrel. The bores a little frosted and its been counterbored but it shoots ok for what it is. Heck i killed an 8 point buck at 125 yards with it a couple years ago. Now if I could only find a correct stock for it

Got an early Remington made bayonet for it too, its got the cancelled British proof markings on it for the P14 rifle contracts that were halted to make the M1917

Attachments

• DSCN1008.jpg
      DSCN1008.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 308

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    I see those matches on their website. I am so lazy on the weekends though. It's quite the drive from Lexington Park.
    I just need to buckle down and do it. I'm sure it's a blast.

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    One question I'd love to know is, were there any model 1917 sniper rifles? because I'd love to build a clone, my mostly original 1917 has had the stock chopped up a little but has plenty of bore and an awsome shooter but I'm dieing to know if there was a sniper model like the 1903 A4, but you guys all have gorgeous rifles from all I've seen so far

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    Hey MilsurpDan, any chance I can get that stock off yurs after you get a new stock? because that stock would look great on mine as a shooter and look more original

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Here is mine 1918 Eddystone with an as new JA barrel, a lot of 1917's were re barreled during WW2 and then pretty much never used, barrel is like new. JA stood for Johnson Automatics, the maker of the Johnson rifle.
    Rifle is a tack driver and with the weight is comfortable to shoot, much softer than my 03-A3.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
      IMG_1215.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 269
    • IMG_1216.jpg
      IMG_1216.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 297
    • IMG_1217.jpg
      IMG_1217.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 267
    • IMG_1219.jpg
      IMG_1219.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 283

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Before

webDSC00551.jpg

$175 on the cabelas used rack

after

p1917.jpg

Sarco USGI stock and hardware.

Unfortunately it has to share a bayonet with the trench gun.

That and I need to borrow steve's sight tool.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom