• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoJoVDub

Nov 3, 2008
    lusby
    yea...my fiancee's parents own 180 acres in brandywine...but theres a huge horse farm on it too (there is an acre/arena under roof)...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    yea the .308 is i believe...just says howa model 1500 on it...by far my favorite gun...
    I've read from multiple sources that currently the Howa 1500 rifles and their variants are the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles you can buy. I checked one out at a gun show one day, and brand new, the action was slick and tight, and the target that came with the rifle grouped at about .5" - maybe even a touch less. They seem to be very similar to the Remington Model 700 in outward appearance, but I don't really know what's going on inside.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    good times - I work a flex schedule so i can take mondays off instead of fridays if i want to.

we seriously need places to go shooting down here other than sanners lake and without driving an hour to get there.

Kenny

The Bomb Digity
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lusby
    I wouldn't mind getting land to make a shooting range on. My parents own 5 acres and i used to shoot there all the time, but if i get more than two it may be a little hectic for the rest of the neighborhood. My buddy who's grandfather owns 150 acres, i haven't talked to in a while and his grandfather is a little skiddish around new people, but his back field would be awesome.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    +1000000. I get really tired of shooting paper all the time.
    +1000001

When I was growing up in Nebraska, I almost never shot paper targets - only at Jr. Rifle Club and when zeroing a rifle. Otherwise it was all kinds of stuff:

Bottles at the landfill
    Clay pigeons (for some reason, Dad always called them "blue rocks")
    Steel disks
    prairie dogs
    cans
    anything that we could destroy with bullets (within safety and reason of course)

It's a lot different out here, and not really in a good way.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    +1000001

When I was growing up in Nebraska, I almost never shot paper targets - only at Jr. Rifle Club and when zeroing a rifle. Otherwise it was all kinds of stuff:

Bottles at the landfill
    Clay pigeons (for some reason, Dad always called them "bluerocks")
    Steel disks
    prairie dogs
    cans
    anything that we could destroy with bullets (within safety and reason of course)

EXACTLY my story from Arizona (just 5 loooong years ago).

Kenny

The Bomb Digity
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lusby
    Until 2 weeks ago I've never been to an official shooting range. Its always been my parents back yard or a field at my aunts house or friends.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    shoot anything that makes a fun noise when it gets hit, but ever since i moved down here i've had the hardest time finding places to shoot. The locals don't seem to be too fond of all the outsiders.

JoJoVDub

Nov 3, 2008
    lusby
    we do that all the time whenever i go see my dad WV...all you need is a box of shells and whatevers layin around the farm...of course we also use bows to fish...now thats fun...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I've read from multiple sources that currently the Howa 1500 rifles and their variants are the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles you can buy. I checked one out at a gun show one day, and brand new, the action was slick and tight, and the target that came with the rifle grouped at about .5" - maybe even a touch less. They seem to be very similar to the Remington Model 700 in outward appearance, but I don't really know what's going on inside.

I just sold one. It's similar enough to a 700 as makes no difference. Now that's said with no actual experience shooting either rifle, it's just visual comparison.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    +1000001

Bottles at the landfill
    Clay pigeons (for some reason, Dad always called them "blue rocks")
    Steel disks
    prairie dogs
    cans

Remington still has "BLUE ROCK Targets" written on their boxes of clays to this day.

Kenny

The Bomb Digity
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lusby
    2323232327Ffp87nu3234954WSNRCG32397.jpg

2323232327Ffp89nu3234954WSNRCG32397.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member