• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've decided my next pistol purchase will be a 1911 in 45 ACP, and for the longest time I was locked on to the Springfield Range Officer. Then one day I was talking to a friend of mine who said, "you know, Sig doesn't make a bad pistol." (Yes - some may argue this point, but I generally believe it to be true, which is why my one and only 9mm is a Sig 226.)

After looking at the 1911 lineup Sig has to offer, I've set my sights on the STX model. It's got pretty much everything I want, nothing I don't, (I actually don't want a rail under the barrel on a 1911.) and it has some things that the Springfield RO doesn't have - checkered front strap, stainless magwell - that kind of thing.

ssig-911-stx1.jpg

I've read nothing but good things about the Springfield RO, and in fact I may pick up one of those down the road at some point. I also realize that the two pistols are at different price points - I'm ok with that. I figure that for something I'm probably going to have for the rest of my life, the extra money it would cost would be worth it.

So now the real question - given that I have bumped up my price point, is there any other pistol at that price point that I should take a look at? I have to admit, I'm not exactly a 1911 junkie, so I've read a few things here and there, but I'm quite certain there are gaps in my knowledge of what's available these days.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If I was in the market for a EDC 1911, Sig would be on my list along with Ruger, Colt, CZ-DW and S&W even though the Sig and Smiths aren't real 1911s because of their external extractors :D J/K

If the Sig fliats your boat then sail on, sailor.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd get a Rock Island Armory for $500, then give John Carduner 5 or 600 bucks, and tell him to have at it. Unless you want a pretty safe queen, then get the Sig. Also the squared off-ness of the Sig slide makes it tough finding holsters.
    There's nothing like having the consult with a true gunsmith discussing how you'd like your pistol to be. I was going to do it with a Ruger 1911 with titanium trigger. But I think I bought my HK45c instead. I still might do it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Unless you want a pretty safe queen, then get the Sig. Also the squared off-ness of the Sig slide makes it tough finding holsters.
    At an $1100 price point, that's not a gun I'd see as a safe queen. I guess it depends on perspective, but as a musician, I'm whacking $1500 with of cymbals with a stick, and my main gigging trumpet is a $2400 horn, but that's nothing - my buddy is playing a $4200 horn and he doesn't even clean it regularly.

I'm also not that worried about finding a holster for the squared slide, although it does drastically cut down on choices.

I've looked at the Springfield TRP, and there's a lot to like there, but it's almost a grand more than the RO - just a touch out of my price range for now, but on your suggestion I'll give it another look.

Is the general consensus that Sig makes good 1911s?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you can afford that Sig 1911 then you can probably afford a custom made or a high end, ready-made holster. Too nice a gun for some kydex plastic crap rig.

Follow your bliss. If this Sig answers the "riddle of steel" for you then get yourself one.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I had one. Had Chad do some work to it. Barely 2 pound trigger was sweet. Had to have him smooth the feed ramp because it didn't eat hollow points very well. And the holster thing was a huge issue for me, something I overlooked. I sold it.
    I'll say this about any 1911, if you aren't adept at malfunction drills and don't have the patience to fight through them because you paid xxxx amount dollars for a pistol that should work flawless "out of the box", then I probably wouldn't get one.
    But if you want to hold it's hand through tough times and put the money into one, then get one.

But if you want something that's . 45, then I'd go for some other semi auto

Nostalgia is nice. But what I love about my HK, is that it can be single action cocked and locked, Da/SA, you can use the decocker to drop the hammer, or literally place the safety on when it's DA first shot, if that's your thing. Aside from accuracy, those trigger options sold me.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    At an $1100 price point, that's not a gun I'd see as a safe queen. I guess it depends on perspective, but as a musician, I'm whacking $1500 with of cymbals with a stick, and my main gigging trumpet is a $2400 horn, but that's nothing - my buddy is playing a $4200 horn and he doesn't even clean it regularly.

I'm also not that worried about finding a holster for the squared slide, although it does drastically cut down on choices.

I've looked at the Springfield TRP, and there's a lot to like there, but it's almost a grand more than the RO - just a touch out of my price range for now, but on your suggestion I'll give it another look.

Is the general consensus that Sig makes good 1911s?

Everyone on SigTalk seems to love their 1911’s. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a new 1911.

Black Point Tactical, Vedder, Crossbreed, and Safariland all make holsters for the Sig profile 1911’s.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would not recommend a RIA as a base gun. Need to do other work to it to get the correct foundation. The internal components can be iffy at times.

Sig is good but may not be able to find the center of the primer...by alot! And cannot find when the gun is warrantied. Also the grip safety follows the GI A1 profile and just protects from hammer bite. The modern upswept type will allow most to realize most of the potential of the pistol. I fitted a S&A on mine and it was like a new model...for me.

The Springer RO is a good pistol as is the Defender, a plain Jane Mil Spec. Lots can be done with the Mil Spec. Modify the grip safety and bob the hammer just a bit and you are in upswept beavertail performance in hand.

Ruger would a very nice choice and a good bit of value for the $$$. At this tier probably the most predicable in performance of the three. There is a trait or two I tune out but still out of the box, I liked both of mine. I find them nicer than the Sigs if improvement is in mind. YMMV

First sentence edited.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    aSLsJSs.jpg

I bought a TTT back in 2014. That's the slightly less-fancy version of the STX that has been discontinued. Shot it for a couple of years without any problems. Gifted it to a family member in 2017 who still shoots it regularly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    aSLsJSs.jpg

I bought a TTT back in 2014. That's the slightly less-fancy version of the STX that has been discontinued. Shot it for a couple of years without any problems. Gifted it to a family member in 2017 who still shoots it regularly.
    This is the one I had. Every hollow point impeded it from going into battery 100%, and I'd give it a little love tap. That's when I got the work done on it.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    This is the one I had. Every hollow point impeded it from going into battery 100%, and I'd give it a little love tap. That's when I got the work done on it.

The only JHP I ever shot in it was Federal HST and it had no issues with that stuff. Never had any problems with FMJ, of course.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    If holster availability is a concern, just a heads-up that the Sig holsters are made by Blackpoint Tactical and are very nice. There are plenty of other manufacturers that make Sig 1911 slide compatible holsters too.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lots of great comments here and I appreciate all of the feedback.

I have two other 45 ACPs - one is a 1911 that dates to 1941, and the other is a H&K USP. I'm mostly looking for a range gun for this purchase, but that is subject to change I suppose - I'm not always going to live in Maryland after all.

PIPES

Apr 6, 2013
    I’ve got one of the sig STX 1911’s and am very happy with it. My only suggestion so that you try to see a few to pick from if possible as the wood grips range from so-so to beautiful depending on which you get.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Opinion on RIAs

When I talked to him like 8 years ago, he flat-out refused to work on RIAs. Just a heads-up. Maybe that's changed.

The quote must have been a misunderstanding. I think that RIAs give a good bang for the buck. I've gotten excellent results when working on them. Their quality has greatly improved over their product of 10~15 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom