What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Depending on the brass manufacturer weights of cases can very quite a bit between manufacturers. So weighing cases to determine over all count is miss leading unless you know the weight of each manufacturer.

I have kept track of the case weights I use by manufacturer. So when fully loaded I add the case weight + projectile weight + powder weight minus the ammo can weight. So measuring a fully loaded round is very accurate. I also use this to calculate amount of rounds. Based on this I have been with in 1-2 rounds when calculating total rounds in an ammo can.

I think you may have quoted the wrong post.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Cleaned one of my gallon bags of 223. Two more to go. Really need to do some test shooting on my loads so I know if the current brass processing regime is producing good rounds.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Loaded up 10 150 grain Sierra pro hunters with 4064 in 308. I found my 100 yard load but now I'm going to throw some out farther and make sure it's still happy.

Then cycled all kinds of brass through my tumbler to clean.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Loaded up 10 150 grain Sierra pro hunters with 4064 in 308. I found my 100 yard load but now I'm going to throw some out farther and make sure it's still happy.

Then cycled all kinds of brass through my tumbler to clean.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Loaded 100 .41 mag with 20.5 gr of w296 and 210 gr XTP.
    I think that 41 mag is a highly underrated cartridge, but apparently Lyman doesn't agree - there is only 1 page and 2 bullets (170 and 210) listed for the 41 mag in that manual. They show that loading as the starting load for a 210 gr HP, and not even specifically the XTP.

I need to take a trip out to Nebraska to finally get my hands on my Dad's reloading ledgers to see how else he may have loaded the 41 mag - the only thing I have left of his now are some loads he put together with Unique.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I think that 41 mag is a highly underrated cartridge, but apparently Lyman doesn't agree - there is only 1 page and 2 bullets (170 and 210) listed for the 41 mag in that manual. They show that loading as the starting load for a 210 gr HP, and not even specifically the XTP.

I need to take a trip out to Nebraska to finally get my hands on my Dad's reloading ledgers to see how else he may have loaded the 41 mag - the only thing I have left of his now are some loads he put together with Unique.

I agree. I kinda always wanted one and wasn't really looking and brother found a deal on one and a snapped it up. With standard ammo, on par with a lot of 44 without the recoil.. then using Underwood ammo, it's in another class.

Attachments

• 86394.jpg
      86394.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 196

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I agree. I kinda always wanted one and wasn't really looking and brother found a deal on one and a snapped it up. With standard ammo, on par with a lot of 44 without the recoil.. then using Underwood ammo, it's in another class.
    That's a nice looking pistola! Mine is an old Ruger Blackhawk - 3 digit serial number.

Dad was never one to leave a gun alone, and this one is no exception - the stocks are not original, and Dad replaced the stock hammer with a Super Blackhawk hammer - he liked the wider, lower profile better than the stock hammer.

I have a letter from Elmer Keith where they talk about this pistol and a story Dad sent to Elmer about him taking a coyote while driving down the road. (I have a handful of letters from Elmer Keith to my Dad - apparently Elmer was very good about keeping on top of correspondence from readers of his columns in G&A and The American Rifleman)

Attachments

• 648FD9F3-7C96-46A3-8A1B-8B00F215DDC4.jpg
      648FD9F3-7C96-46A3-8A1B-8B00F215DDC4.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 190

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    That's a nice looking pistola! Mine is an old Ruger Blackhawk - 3 digit serial number.

Dad was never one to leave a gun alone, and this one is no exception - the stocks are not original, and Dad replaced the stock hammer with a Super Blackhawk hammer - he liked the wider, lower profile better than the stock hammer.

I have a letter from Elmer Keith where they talk about this pistol and a story Dad sent to Elmer about him taking a coyote while driving down the road. (I have a handful of letters from Elmer Keith to my Dad - apparently Elmer was very good about keeping on top of correspondence from readers of his columns in G&A and The American Rifleman)

Thanks and that is fine looking one as well!!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Trimmed 300 already sized & swaged 223 cases, Water tumble cleaned again and then primed them.
    Then pulled 300 vibe cleaned 223 cases, sized and swaged them.
    I'm going to pause those cases right there as I'm getting a trimming prep station from Frankford Arsenal, I took care of one of the preps I hate (swaging) with the APP press, next I"ll take care of the other I hate (223 Trimming and deburring)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Trimmed 300 already sized & swaged 223 cases, Water tumble cleaned again and then primed them.
    Then pulled 300 vibe cleaned 223 cases, sized and swaged them.
    I'm going to pause those cases right there as I'm getting a trimming prep station from Frankford Arsenal, I took care of one of the preps I hate (swaging) with the APP press, next I"ll take care of the other I hate (223 Trimming and deburring)

IMHO, the Lyman xpress case trimmer works wonderfully. I have not found a need to debur or chamfer after using it. I do need to wear gloves or pushing the cases in ends up chewing up the pad of my thumb. But I can trim around 500 an hour if my thumbs can manage. Super accurate. Easy to adjust. Took me 10 months to finally find a 6.5 Grendel/7.62x39 bushing for it though. It comes with basically every other bushing your heart my desire.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    that is waaay cool , great history , means that much more that it was your dad's .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded up 500 rounds of 9mm on the 650. If I get saucy, I might throw together some test loads for plain-jane 123gr 7.62x39 tonight, but I really need to work off my existing backlog of test loads before I go further.

I also cleaned another ~700 pieces of 223 brass. I have way too much now. I guess there's worse problems.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Loaded up some .500 S&W magnum rounds for testing tomorrow at MSAR. Loaded 5 rounds each of Hornaday 325 gr. XPS, with Titegroup, longshot and No.9, Loaded 5 each of 350 gr. Barns FMJFN with Titegroup, Longshot and No.9. Loaded 5 each of 375 gr HCFNGC I casted with N0.9 Titegroup and Longshot.

Prepped, trimmed and primed 100 rounds of .500 S&W. Will load based on my test rounds above.

Attachments

• Loads.jpg
      Loads.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads