• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    There has been lots of discussions on the minimum quality firearm one would consider for self-defense. With respect to edged weapons, do you have minimum qualifications for your EDC? What considerations would you consider in selecting one?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For me, it's Spyderco. The ones either Made in USA or Made in Japan. High-quality stainless blades are very important to me. My minimum choices are VG-10 and S30V.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    A pocketknife isn't that great of a weapon. I don't think of them as self-defense tools. I use my knives for all kinds of stuff daily, never had to use it to protect myself. I think I'd go with punches, elbows, knees, and kicks before I pull my knife.

That said, because I use my knives often, I do buy quality. Spyderco, Emerson, Kershaw (US made ones), SOG, Microtech, etc.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    After owning a Spyderco and as long as their future quality is on par with what it is now I wouldn't deviate brands.

As for sole purpose edc personal protection I would be thinking along the lines of Civilian or Matriarch in the Spyderco line.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Carried a variety of knives over the years. Nowadays it's some sort of Benchmade, with the Axis lock. The best thing to happen to folding knives in my lifetime.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    As a general rule, I look at a good utility knife as a poor defensive weapon. There are some exceptions such as the Spyderco Chinook series, but as a general rule the two knives should be different. One major reason is because a utility knife will at certain points in time be dull. Utility knives are designed for endurance and they are often thick. A 'people' knife can be almost paper thin to aid it in cutting. Skin and clothes don't require a thick blade. In fact, a thick blade can make usage more difficult IMO. My first qualification would be a thin blade. My second qualification would be the blade have deep serrations with the reason being is that you need something that eats through thick clothes to reach skin. 'Teeth' easy go through even leather jackets.

I also look for a knife with a lower hardness level and with a steel that is considered 'tough'...that is, metal properties favor impact resistance over hardness. High chromium steels are nice too (among a few other mixes) to prevent the blade from corroding.

I also look for a curved blade which I feel is by far the best choice. When I say curved, I am referring to a hawk billed or reverse S curve blade. More specifically, I am referring to the Spyderco Civilian, Spyderco Matriarch, and Spyderco Lil' Matriarch which IMO as the finest defense knives on the market.

I look to hawkbills because of their tendency to cut deeper as you move. If you catch a wrist, arm, or leg with a hawkbill, when the assailant tries to pull their wrist back, the hawkbill tip by nature buries itself deeper and deeper which means a large and deep tearing cut. Rather than a small puncture 'jab', you now have a very deep wound and the clock is ticking until the assailant is down. The other reason I prefer the Reverse S Curve is because you can 'peck' with it. You can peck at the eyes and easily make contact. You can also make controlled cuts which will sever entire muscles essentially ending the encounter. With how it cuts, targeting these muscles is a very easy task.

The other criteria I look for is a non-'thrusting' knife because a stab as such makes the user vulnerable, especially certain vitals. A hawkbill held in a reverse hammer grip can be used as a shield as well. Simply bring the knife into defending vitals with the business end facing outward, and when the assailant strikes, let the knife catch him. The amount of work done with it is far less.

Finally, I look for a knife that is intimidating. I believe the Spyderco Civilian is probably the most intimidating folding knife on the planet.

...but I would argue that this: (full size Civilian with 4.2 inch blade)
    Spyderco+Civilian.jpg

or this: (mid size Matriarch--there is also a mini version of this)
    C12BK2_L.jpg

+ James Keating's 'The Spyderco Civilian Video' cannot be matched by any other folding knife. Of course all of this is just my opinion.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Benchmade. Best blades in terms of quality and specialization during my Army years. I own a couple auto-openers and a butterfly by them. Just sweet blades.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Cold Steel for me.
    They make the largest folding knives, and some of the strongest too.
    It's good to have an intimidating EDC knife for self defense IMO.
    I got a regular size switchblade for an uncle of mine and Korean war veteran, two thugs tried to mug him thinking he was an easy target saying "give me your money!" in a parking lot.
    He pulled out that switchblade and said "you've got to go through this first!" and the idiots ran off as fast as they could.
    Your results may vary but knives can most certainly be useful for self defense!
    Here's my EDC, Voyager X2 with a 6" blade overall over 12".

Attachments

• IMG_1061.JPG
      IMG_1061.JPG
      33.8 KB · Views: 474

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Cold Steel for me.
    They make the largest folding knives, and some of the strongest too.
    It's good to have an intimidating EDC knife for self defense IMO.
    I got a regular size switchblade for an uncle of mine and Korean war veteran, two thugs tried to mug him thinking he was an easy target saying "give me your money!" in a parking lot.
    He pulled out that switchblade and said "you've got to go through this first!" and the idiots ran off as fast as they could.
    Your results may vary but knives can most certainly be useful for self defense!

Yerp, size can be a great deterrent. Quality never hurts as well, and Cold Steel sure isn't bad.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Another personal favorite of mind is the Spyderco Chinook. The upswept Bowie Blade has a great function. Turn the knife upside down, make contact with point-to-skin, and drag it. This 'backcut' rips the hell out of everything giving a large and deep flesh wound. The G10 handle with the notches on both sides is also a nice feature when bloody given semi-oily blood makes it easy to slip on a forward thrust or inward cut resulting in you taking your own hand to your own blade with considerable force or losing the life on a backcut or 'belly-up' upsweep.

spyderco-chinook-3-SPC63GP3-d1.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If it comes down to having to use a pocketknife for self-defense, both parties lose. The winner is the one who bleeds out last.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    As a general rule, I look at a good utility knife as a poor defensive weapon. There are some exceptions such as the Spyderco Chinook series, but as a general rule the two knives should be different. One major reason is because a utility knife will at certain points in time be dull. Utility knives are designed for endurance and they are often thick. A 'people' knife can be almost paper thin to aid it in cutting. Skin and clothes don't require a thick blade. In fact, a thick blade can make usage more difficult IMO. My first qualification would be a thin blade. My second qualification would be the blade have deep serrations with the reason being is that you need something that eats through thick clothes to reach skin. 'Teeth' easy go through even leather jackets.

I also look for a knife with a lower hardness level and with a steel that is considered 'tough'...that is, metal properties favor impact resistance over hardness. High chromium steels are nice too (among a few other mixes) to prevent the blade from corroding.

I also look for a curved blade which I feel is by far the best choice. When I say curved, I am referring to a hawk billed or reverse S curve blade. More specifically, I am referring to the Spyderco Civilian, Spyderco Matriarch, and Spyderco Lil' Matriarch which IMO as the finest defense knives on the market.

I look to hawkbills because of their tendency to cut deeper as you move. If you catch a wrist, arm, or leg with a hawkbill, when the assailant tries to pull their wrist back, the hawkbill tip by nature buries itself deeper and deeper which means a large and deep tearing cut. Rather than a small puncture 'jab', you now have a very deep wound and the clock is ticking until the assailant is down. The other reason I prefer the Reverse S Curve is because you can 'peck' with it. You can peck at the eyes and easily make contact. You can also make controlled cuts which will sever entire muscles essentially ending the encounter. With how it cuts, targeting these muscles is a very easy task.

The other criteria I look for is a non-'thrusting' knife because a stab as such makes the user vulnerable, especially certain vitals. A hawkbill held in a reverse hammer grip can be used as a shield as well. Simply bring the knife into defending vitals with the business end facing outward, and when the assailant strikes, let the knife catch him. The amount of work done with it is far less.

Finally, I look for a knife that is intimidating. I believe the Spyderco Civilian is probably the most intimidating folding knife on the planet.

...but I would argue that this: (full size Civilian with 4.2 inch blade)
    Spyderco+Civilian.jpg

or this: (mid size Matriarch--there is also a mini version of this)
    C12BK2_L.jpg

+ James Keating's 'The Spyderco Civilian Video' cannot be matched by any other folding knife. Of course all of this is just my opinion.

I would have to say an exception to this general rule is that longer wide blades like the Spyderco Resilience or various blades by Cold Steel can be great defensive weapons because the added reach enables them to be used as slashing weapons.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Seldom do I carry a folder as a primary deadly force option. Most of the time my EDC folder is a Chris Reeve Large Sebenza. Sometimes a Strider Suspect SMF. Long before I tried to used them as open knives I would use them as closed impact weapons, since that stops a fight faster. YMMV- George

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I would have to say an exception to this general rule is that longer wide blades like the Spyderco Resilience or various blades by Cold Steel can be great defensive weapons because the added reach enables them to be used as slashing weapons.

That is true. The CS Voyager, for example, is nice as it gives exceptional reach and is great for keeping an opponent from reaching you. Jabbing with them is a nice advantage simply because they would let you get quite a few pokes in before an opponent could ever reach the user.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    If it comes down to having to use a pocketknife for self-defense, both parties lose. The winner is the one who bleeds out last.

I've only used a folding knife for defense once and it's definitely a lose-lose. IMO when it comes to using an edged weapon, the best practice is the hit-and-run. IMO a folding knife should be considered a 'last ditch resort' to coin Sal Glesser's take on it. But when it comes down to it, the more knowledgable user with the blade better suited to such usage, such as a serrated hawkbill or large clipoint/spearpoint folder with a long reach, will be the one to get out least harmed.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've always loved pocket knives and usually always have one in my pocket. Even in business attire I carry a small pen knife. Never know when you might be pressed into service to cut the cap seal off a scotch bottle or the end off of a cigar. I have a lot of small knives I like to slip into my pocket.

But, for me, I think being able to open it with one hand is important for an EDC knife. I generally carry a Kershaw Leek (with a composite blade) or an Onion. Great knives.

But I like flippers and just ordered myself a Bradley "Mayhem" balisong (made by Benchmark) and I expect that's going to be my new EDC for more casual attire.

Mayhem2.jpg

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    For personal defense look into some small fixed blade knives. They get into the fight so much fasted then folders. I carry the Ka-Bar TDI but there are other great small fixed blade options out there.

cb51

That's pretty much what I saw happen in the only knife fight I ever observed. Two soldiers got into it over the baggie of pot that one sold the other, being less than was supposed to be. Got into it with their Buck 110's. One died, one made it barely. They had to bring in a water truck to hose down the area they had the fight. The one that lived went to military prison for the killing of the one that died. After seeing that, I'll never even carry a knife that would temp me to use it as a weapon. My Opinel is a tool only. If I need a weapon I have my Irish blackthorn stick that goes everywhere with me. I'd rather have a 14 inch piece of broomstick or a Maglight or bar stool, chair, mop bucket handle, cresent wrench, ball peen hammer, pool que, cane, beer pitcher, than a knife.

Cuts and stab wounds don't have much stopping power, but blunt force truma does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom