• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A few weeks ago I received my Raven Concealment Phantom Light Compatible (LC) Holster. I ordered it August 8th and it was to my door the first week in November; which isn't too bad I guess (I have other carry guns so it wasn't urgent).

Disclaimer: I am not a Costa or Haley fanboy. Matter of fact - I've never seen one of their videos. I've just heard Raven made a quality product, so I gave it a try.

I wanted a kydex holster for my USP9SD with TLR-1s and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for in a ready made holster, so I ordered it from Raven. I wanted the option to carry IWB and OWB with the same holster and I wanted it to be concealable under only a polo shirt because I live in Florida. Additionally, I didn't want leather because of the sweat factor here. After a few hours in the summer it could be saturated and cause some corrosion issues in time. Kydex seemed like the way to go.

I've been wearing it now for a few weeks and I think over all I'm pretty happy with it. It's level of concealment is excellent, and the quality is superb. I had heard that the retention on these might be an issue, but I've got to say that it holds my weapon very securely. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a retention issue. It's very secure.

I'd definitely recommend this holster for anyone that wants to carry a large frame auto IWB. I'm carrying a USP9SD with a TLR-1s in these pics and it disappears into my clothing really well.

Anyone else using/have one of these? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 433
    • image[1].jpg
      image[1].jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 432
    • image[2].jpg
      image[2].jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 432
    • image[3].jpg
      image[3].jpg
      50 KB · Views: 431
    • image[4].jpg
      image[4].jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 425
    • image[5].jpg
      image[5].jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 425

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Where are the pics of you sitting in a restaurant chair, crouching down to a lower store shelf or bending over tying your shoes? Just sayin' ;)

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    I have one for a G21/TLR1. I like it, but it really needs some breaking in. Very tight on delivery, to the point where I'm afraid of damaging the kydex.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    hey, thanks for posting and appreciate the pics. It's funny I was talking about Raven's holsters (mostly how light friendly they are) with a college today.

If you do any more photos it would be cool to have them (dammit Blaster229! :)) in other positions. Also, I find video actually more helpful (revealing) than pics, because the flow of the cover is the most important part. Reach up, crouch, bend over, etc. for pics/video.

Especially when standing or getting out of a vehicle; but then again experience carrying and body language are just as important as the holster (complete rig) and cover garment.

Just sayin'. :)

thanks again!

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    hey, thanks for posting and appreciate the pics. It's funny I was talking about Raven's holsters (mostly how light friendly they are) with a college today.

If you do any more photos it would be cool to have them (dammit Blaster229! :)) in other positions. Also, I find video actually more helpful (revealing) than pics, because the flow of the cover is the most important part. Reach up, crouch, bend over, etc. for pics/video.

Especially when standing or getting out of a vehicle; but then again experience carrying and body language are just as important as the holster (complete rig) and cover garment.

Just sayin'. :)

thanks again!

Concealing a full size USP is like trying to conceal a brick compared to a smaller compact pistol designed for concealed carry. I carry a full sized because I'm terrible with those pocket pistols, and I'm dangerous with my usp. It's worth it, IMO, to trade some concealability/comfort for confidence and accuracy.

If you are going to try and conceal a full size, this is the holster to do it in.

I'm camping for the thanksgiving weekend, but I'll do my best to post some more pictures and a video next week.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Concealing a full size USP is like trying to conceal a brick compared to a smaller compact pistol designed for concealed carry. I carry a full sized because I'm terrible with those pocket pistols, and I'm dangerous with my usp. It's worth it, IMO, to trade some concealability/comfort for confidence and accuracy.

If you are going to try and conceal a full size, this is the holster to do it in.

I'm camping for the thanksgiving weekend, but I'll do my best to post some more pictures and a video next week.

A Full size usp is not meant to be carried concealed. But it works well standing in the foyer just standing. Throw a backpack on and let's see how the straps cut behind the pistol and against the chest. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Again, you're no fun.

:lol:

Good one.

Don't go to any trouble, body shape is a key factor too, and I know what you mean about how hard it is to conceal a full size handgun. I'd love to be able to carry a 5.7 or something that size, but even my fat can't conceal something that big.

Have fun camping.

[please carry responsibly and comply with the law]

Last edited:

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've decided not to take any more pics/video. Regardless of what I post, I'm pretty sure Blaster will complain about it not being good enough. There will be something about it he can hate on. lol And I dont want this threat to be about his "corn flake shittery." :lol2:

The point of the post wasnt to argue my choice of CCW gun, but to show the new holster, say I'm happy with it, and recommend Raven. If you dont think a full size is your cup o tea, they make holsters for any and everything. Even lighters :) Check them out.

Sorry if you actually wanted more pics. But there might be some on youtube/other forums.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Good photos, nice holster. While it might not be a perfect hide, it'll serve you well I am sure, especially when wearing a jacket. Are you using a proper gun belt? The belt is just as important for all-day carry as the holster. Galco and Milt Sparks are some of my fave belts for casual-wear.

I carry a Glock 23 4 o'clock FBI-cant in a Raven OWB and it's awesome. The wait is worth it for a Raven holster, don't patronize the knock-offs! ..although some of the knock-offs (like Bravo Concealment) are quite good from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom