• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    We live in the northern part on Mo. County on a family farm. We have a small range set-up where we shoot pistols, shotguns and rifles but all of this is short range. I would like to set up a 300 yard range for high powered rifles. There isn't enough room for anything longer than 300 yards because of the lay of the land. Does anyone know of any laws, rules or regulations that would affect this? As I look at the aerial photos of the property, we would be:
    •145 yards from the closest house which is to our backs;
    •shooting away from the closest houses;
    •shooting into a natural hillside which is tree covered on the top;
    •over 2500 yards away from the closest dwelling in the approximate line of fire;
    •approximately 800 yards from the back edge of the farm in the general line of fire;
    •shooting down a naturally low area.

Thanks for any help/advice.

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    I'd check with the county planning and zoning to see what the city ordinances are regarding the discharge of firearms on private property. Problem is that its MoCo so they might give you lots of reasons why you can't do it rather than why you can.

Do your research on all ordinances regarding private land and guns before you call them, also see if you can get face time with the code department. It's easier to discuss your issues with them in person rather than on the phone.

Here's the link to the NRA guidebook for ranges:
    http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

Good luck and hope it works out.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Per County code, if you are North of RTE 650 you are likely OK if you can abide the part about distance from dwellings.

The other consideration is noise, be sure to consider your neighbors within earshot. They can make your 300 yd. shooting life difficult even if you are within the bounds of the law

Last edited:

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    If I read the requirements right, we will need signed approval of the range from the "Firearms Safety Committee" because we will be shooting ammo that is over .25 caliber. 30-06 to be exact. As for the noise issue, I don't think that will be a problem because there are very few houses close by. I still want to follow all the rules in case someone did complain. Does anyone have any experience with the "Firearm Safety Committee" in Mo Co?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom