What hoops does a D.C. resident have to go through to buy a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    A friend asked me about how to go about buying a gun in DC. The two year old article listed below is where a Washington Post reporter described the process involved in buying a gun. Does anyone know what the current process including all of the hoops involved in buying a handgun in D.C.? Also are there restrictions for what kind of handguns are approved?

Thanks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...103836_pf.html

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Try this link:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836.html

It took $833.69, a total of 15 hours 50 minutes, four trips to the Metropolitan Police Department, two background checks, a set of fingerprints, a five-hour class and a 20-question multiple-choice exam.

Oh, and the votes of five Supreme Court justices. They're the ones who really made it possible for me, as a District resident, to own a handgun, a constitutional right as heavily debated and rigorously parsed as the freedoms of speech and religion.

And this was written before the one and only FFL ran into real estate problems...which is the background for the Lane case.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Any changes in the last two years since this article?

Thanks, I saw that article, but was wondering since it is two years old if things are still the same (pretty bad), or have there been any changes in the last two years. Is there is a list of "approved" handguns like we have in our wonderful state.

Wow, I thought we had it bad. D.C. is worse.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    get ahold of charlie sykes I think they finally gave him a spot at 300 Indiana Ave. N.W. but I am not 100% positive. I have court tomorrow anyway and can go ask the guys at HQ if there have been any procedure changes. Also you can PM Blueheeler, I just work in D.C., he lives there and let me tell you this after back and forth PM's with him hes quite the smart man!!! Hahahaha he managed to do something I don't even think D.C. saw coming hahaha. But PM with what ?'s you have and I'll go meet our firearms guys tomorrow in my trial down time.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thank you for all of your help!

Mpdc4511,

Thank you for all of your help! I don't know if it makes a difference, but our friend is in the reserves. I wanted to try to help him get the latest information. I figured we would have some folks in MD Shooters who would know how to find out what the latest procedures are. I couldn't believe all of the expense and procedures that the citizens of Washington, D.C. have to go through to purchase a firearm. It seems like only people who are very determined and have the money can obtain a firearm in the district.

Thanks again for helping out!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mpdc4511,

Thank you for all of your help! I don't know if it makes a difference, but our friend is in the reserves. I wanted to try to help him get the latest information. I figured we would have some folks in MD Shooters who would know how to find out what the latest procedures are. I couldn't believe all of the expense and procedures that the citizens of Washington, D.C. have to go through to purchase a firearm. It seems like only people who are very determined and have the money can obtain a firearm in the district.

Thanks again for helping out!

I'll admit at first I was completly aganist Mr. Sykes but after seeing how bad D.C. has dicked him around vs. the hoops he has to jump through. I feel bad for the guy. The transfer money isn't enough to earn a living especially with how bad they have screwed him. I'll PM you in the morning with all contact info you need to get the processes started per our PM's.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thank you for all of your help and advice!

Thanks for all of the help. My friend is a veteran and is now in the reserves. He has been deployed several times to Iraq. It would be nice if he could be allowed to waive the gun safety training. From what I saw in the article, it sure costs a lot of money to get approved to buy a gun in the district. Buying the gun looks like it is the least expensive part of the process.

I know my friend will really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks again!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I have not heard if Sykes has opened his new location. You can try to call him, I think this is his business cell phone: (301) 577–1427. With any luck I will be at registration tomorrow and find out.

If he is not open, the only handguns that are available for registration are C&R and you need the C&R license. DC will need a copy of the licence.

Getting a handgun C&R or otherwise goes like this:

1. Get firearms safety training from one of the instructors listed here: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?doc=/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/firearms_instructors.pdf I used, Wayne Thompson (301) 248-2034. I do not remember the price, but he was easy to work with and a nice guy. You have to pay for four hours of classroom instruction and one hour of range instruction. The instructor will give you a certification to say you are qualified. Sometimes DC will waive the training requirement if you are military.

2. You need to get these forms from firearms registration at 300 Indiana avenue:
    PD-219 – Personal info, residence, work history (5 years), residence (5 years), a description of the firearm, etc…
    There is another form you need to get notarized to confirm you have not been convicted of a disqualifying crime.
    Get a study guide

3. If Sykes is open, you need to buy a firearm from an out of state dealer and have it shipped to him in DC. Bring him the PD-219. You fill out part of the form, he fills out part. Pay him $125

4. Take the completed PD-219 to gun registration.

5. Take the exam also at MPD. The exam is mostly remedial, but my exam (I had the old one before Heller) had a few questions regarding the legal classifications of a short barreled rifle and something about antique firearms as defined by the Gun Control Act of 1968. The study guide is here: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,567003.asp

6. Pay $13 to file the PD-219. Pay $35 for fingerprinting. Pay $12 for ballistics. Give them passport photos.

7. MPD will review your form, do a background investigation, and approve or deny you. This can take up to 5 days.

8. If approved, go back to MPD pick up the PD-219.

9. Wait 10 days, to cool off.

10. Bring the approved PD-219 to Sykes, pick up your handgun.

11. Bring the handgun DIRECTLY to MPD for ballistics. After ballistics are done, you are done.

12. Reregister every 3 years.

If you have a C&R handgun. You basically remove Sykes from the equation. You still need the training, forms, finger prints, ballistics, fees, etc... but you are acting as your own FFL to do the transfer into DC.

I think that is everything. Yes, it is ridiculously expensive in money, time, trips, appointments with Sykes, and aggravation. However, once you get the first gun the second, third, forth, are much less expensive.

Last edited:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    You are too kind. I like cutting new inroads in registration. There is a new one on the way.:innocent0

You must really like living in DC to go through that crap. No wonder the criminals all get illegal guns... oh wait they do that because they are criminals, not because of the pain in the butt DC laws.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    You must really like living in DC to go through that crap. No wonder the criminals all get illegal guns... oh wait they do that because they are criminals, not because of the pain in the butt DC laws.

Only a very small fraction of DC residents own legally registered firearms, in the neighborhood of 0.2%. As you say, it is the perfect example of gun control only accomplishing an unnecessary tax on law abiding citizens. The registration process is daunting. I registered my first shottie when it was a bit easier before Heller. As new restrictions are introduced I comply with the new law. If I had to do it over, I probably would forget it. The process is every bit as complicated as filing my taxes, more expensive, and MUCH more time is involved.

I have plenty of friends that are interested in ownership until I outline the process. Even people that own firearms in other states do not think it is worth it.

I love DC, but certainly not for the asinine policies that completely ignore facts and only operate on a reactive illogical level. I hope DC never gets the vote unless they make a shift from the current Constitution shredding policy to a focus on personal responsibility. Like I said, never.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Only a very small fraction of DC residents own legally registered firearms, in the neighborhood of 0.2%. As you say, it is the perfect example of gun control only accomplishing an unnecessary tax on law abiding citizens. The registration process is daunting. I registered my first shottie when it was a bit easier before Heller. As new restrictions are introduced I comply with the new law. If I had to do it over, I probably would forget it. The process is every bit as complicated as filing my taxes, more expensive, and MUCH more time is involved.

I have plenty of friends that are interested in ownership until I outline the process. Even people that own firearms in other states do not think it is worth it.

I love DC, but certainly not for the asinine policies that completely ignore facts and only operate on a reactive illogical level. I hope DC never gets the vote unless they make a shift from the current Constitution shredding policy to a focus on personal responsibility. Like I said, never.

I just think its a perfect example of a failed gun control policy. As you said, if you are willing to jump through the hoops there is nothing that prevents you from owning a gun. And since you are obviously a law abiding citizen you do so. I hate that the gun control crowd gets lost on the point that the problem is not with the law abiding citizens, but with the ones who choose not to abide by the law.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks for keeping the RKBA alive!

BlueHeeler, mpdc4511 told me you knew everything about the process of purchasing a firearm in the district. Your outline is a huge help. I hope my friend isn't discouraged from buying a firearm. If he is, he is always welcome to shoot with me in MD. We are lucky to have good people like you living in D.C. who are willing to go through the process and keep the right to keep and bear arms alive in our Nations Capitol. You sir deserve a lot of credit for doing what it takes to express your rights.

I shoot at the AGC most weekends. You and mpdc4511 are welcome to shoot as my guest.

Thanks again for all of your help!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    BlueHeeler, mpdc4511 told me you knew everything about the process of purchasing a firearm in the district. Your outline is a huge help. I hope my friend isn't discouraged from buying a firearm. If he is, he is always welcome to shoot with me in MD. We are lucky to have good people like you living in D.C. who are willing to go through the process and keep the right to keep and bear arms alive in our Nations Capitol. You sir deserve a lot of credit for doing what it takes to express your rights.

I shoot at the AGC most weekends. You and mpdc4511 are welcome to shoot as my guest.

Thanks again for all of your help!

You are very welcome. Shooters help people, that is the norm. I hope your buddy is not too put off by the process. It is a difficult process, but no worse than getting a home loan, lol. Fair or not, if you want to play, you have to pay. It is worth it to know you have observed a right guaranteed by the Constitution and potentially ensures your safety. I would not live in many DC neighborhoods without one. Unfortunately not enough people in DC are able to navigate through the hoops to learn the discipline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom