• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I live on the water in Pasadena. I have neighbors on both sides of me, but have a backstop of over 4 miles of open water.
    I have several fox that come through my backyard every night.
    What is the best way to hunt them? Crossbow, air rifle, .22LR are all possibilities.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Yeah, problem is I have neighbors. Most would love the fox eradicated. One in particular would call the shot in.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Then you better consider a trap or explain to the neighbor you're on a mission and he needs to deal with it.

That won't work either. He feeds them nightly. Anything caught in a trap is assuredly to be freed. If I tell them I'm hunting them, then anything I do will be documented.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Leave them alone. As long as their interaction with you is two to three points removed, you shouldn't have a problem with them.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    bean's got it.

I'd say put a can and an IR scope on your .22, and put some food out yourself.

what is your neighbor feeding them -- chickens?:lol:

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    That won't work either. He feeds them nightly. Anything caught in a trap is assuredly to be freed. If I tell them I'm hunting them, then anything I do will be documented.

Call DNR on him. Say it chased your cat or pulled a knife on you. They will catch it a release into one of our yards!:D

BigBlaze

FX4life
    Jul 26, 2009
    Huntingtown
    .17 hmr .22lr .22 magnum any of these will do fine... if those wont work the go with the above mentioned solutions and call the cops for trespassing I'm sure they'll take care of it....:rolleye12

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Why are the fox a problem? Are you concerned for livestock or pets? Or do you just hate foxes?

If you want to shoot them you will need to comply with the hunting laws for fox. Need a furbearer stamp and I think the season stars Nov 1. You will also need the permission of your neighbors if you are within 150 yards of their house. I think you also need their permission to set a trap within 150 yards of their house.

If the fox is damaging real or personal property, I think that opens a whole new set of options that don't restrict you as much witht he distance requirements. Your best bet would be to call DNR and ask what you can do. I'm willing to bet that discharging a firearm in your back yard in Pasadena without crossing the i's and dotting the t's is asking for trouble. JMHO

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Are they all mangey or something? Unless you have chickens or cats disapearing, or foxes walking into the house through a cat flap, are they really a nuisance? If they are real mangey you can catch them in a large cage trap, they get pretty desperate when in that bad of shape. You would have to use a bait that beats whatever your neighbor feeds them LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom