• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Okay, so I'm selling/trading a 91/30 in the classifieds.
    I understand that it is perfectly legal to do a FTF transfer in MD.
    How do I verify that the "buyer" is legally able to own a firearm?
    Is it legal to take his word for it?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Yup, that's pretty much all you can do. I suppose you could get his full name use the MD Judiciary Case Search, but just because the individual is clean on that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you wanted to be really thorough I suppose you could write out a receipt or something for both parties with his ID/DL info for future reference.

As I understand, the law basically says you can't transfer it if you have any reason to believe they are not legit, i.e., you have the intent of transferring it to an illegitimate person. It doesn't say that you're liable for it if it turns out they're not. I don't think I've ever heard of anybody being taken to task by LEOs for selling a gun privately FTF to an otherwise stranger who then uses the gun illegally.

Of course, none of us want to sell our guns to felons, the insane, etc, so just take whatever precautions you believe are reasonable so that you can sleep at night.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    It is legal to take thier word for it. You may ask the buyer to sign a bill of transfer that would state that fact if you like.

Good call, that never even occurred to me. If an oath is good enough for a court of law, a signature stating they're legit sure oughta be good enough to CYA.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    It is legal to take thier word for it. You may ask the buyer to sign a bill of transfer that would state that fact if you like.

That's what I do. Here is what I made up and use feel free to copy it for youself. It may look messed up here but copy it as is and it comes out great in WORD just have to tab over Date and DL#

I, _______________________________ am legally able to purchase this _______________ Serial #______________. I am over 18 and have no felony convictions and am not a habitual drunkard or drug user.

___________________________________ ________________
    Signed Date

___________________________________ ____________________________
    Printed DL #

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    "Non-regulated" long gun transfers (as I understand) are generally legal FTF in MD. Knowing if there's a prohibiting "issue" with the buyer is a concern and responsibility of the seller.

I've used this BOS before which I downloaded from a thread here on MDS. Seems to cover everything (I hope).

Attachments

• bill%20of%20sale[1].doc
      26 KB · Views: 76

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Understand that some folks will balk at a BOS and some here think it's an infringement of thier rights. Me, I view it as a CYA.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    a BOS with DL# and all is fine, but i do think if you're going to require a DL# or whatever else you may want then its a good idea to clearly define the terms of sale in your advertisement to avoid unnecessary hassle and aggravation later.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    a BOS with DL# and all is fine, but i do think if you're going to require a DL# or whatever else you may want then its a good idea to clearly define the terms of sale in your advertisement to avoid unnecessary hassle and aggravation later.

Absolutly agree. I would make sure that the buyer knew that going in to the sale.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    "Non-regulated" long gun transfers (as I understand) are generally legal FTF in MD. Knowing if there's a prohibiting "issue" with the buyer is a concern and responsibility of the seller.

I've used this BOS before which I downloaded from a thread here on MDS. Seems to cover everything (I hope).

Thanks for posting that....was looking for that. Needed on for my swap tomorrow.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    If you are selling something high powered then you have reason to be cautious, but let's be real, how many criminals out there are trying to acquire WW2 rifles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom