• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/02/24/best-shooting-bag/ << already posted
    https://www.warhorsedevelopment.com/

An "udder" type bag can used instead of a bipod to create an effective shooting base on all kinds of differently shaped elements: tank traps, rails, stumps, barrels, ladders, vehicle parts etc..

Exactly!

The Armageddon bags are pretty close. The straps and hooks add noise and encumbrances that I feel are unnecessary.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I use a Caldwell Tackdriver bag and it works well. Stable enough to bore sight an upper and pretty versatile depending on how you use it. Easy to transport as well.

Can be refilled with whatever you desire. Not sure what mine has in it but it’s worked fine.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    As well as the warhorse udder type bag ($$$), I also use a collection of homemade bags. Walnut and plastic media filled bags sewn (badly) from the legs of old jeans, and larger "body positioning" bags made from jean legs or cheap duffel bags and filled with styrofoam beads (Amazon/eBay). I even have a large Caldwell bag that is filled largely with ping-pong balls to reduce weight.

"The straps and hooks add noise and encumbrances that I feel are unnecessary."
    I have removed the strap (quick detach fittings) from my udder bag.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Well I got a couple of old sweat shirts, cit the sleeves out of them, sew one end closed and fill with sand (grade of your choice) adjust the fill to your liking and close the fill end (sew) you can "line" the shirt sleeve with a plastic baggie to eliminate any dust fron the sand bag!
    choose the size you want. work for me for years. YMMV

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm also gonna give the Reasor Game Changer some serious though.

Thanks for all your input guys. Keep'm coming.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "you can "line" the shirt sleeve with a plastic baggie to eliminate any dust fron the sand bag"

I tried this - it didn't work for me as the inside baggie was very slippery. It felt very wrong and the rifle slid quite a bit.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I've been searching for a couple of those shooting bags that I see in many of the tactical shooting vids. They are basically rectangular in shape, extremely malleable, and maybe even rubberized? Usually black in color. Maybe sand or shot filled?

What am I looking for?

I have a brand new Caldwell "Tack Driver"...

It's never been to the range...

Purchased in 2020...

$30.xx & it's yours...

sgt23preston@live.com...

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I've got a couple of Wiebads one is a pump pillow and the other one is a smaller rectangle. I've got little plastic pellets for fill.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I'm also gonna give the Reasor Game Changer some serious though.

Thanks for all your input guys. Keep'm coming.

Have you tried PRS or MARS matches in the area? Even if you show up just to watch, you will probably be able to see almost every bag, how it is used, and likely be able to borrow and try them for a stage. It definitely helps being able to try stuff before buying.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Back 'in the day', I had several 25 lb empty shot bags, that I turned into shooting bags.
    Used a couple of 'zip lock' half gallon bags, filled with oven-dried 'play sand', and squeezed out the air, and zipped closed.

Shoved the zip lock bags into the shot bags, and sewed them closed with #17 monofilament (sp??) fishing line.

Carried 4 of them in a .50 caliber ammo can.

Used them for several years, then loaned them to a fellow club member's son, and never saw them, again.

Now, I use an Uncle Bud's "Bulls Bag" in front, and a leather 'bunny eared bag' in the back. (Again, filled with oven-dried play sand.)

Both fit into a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket, and keep a lid on it.

https://www.bullsbag.com/Bench_Shooting_Rest_Rifle_Field_Shooting_Rests_Bulls_Bag_s/2.htm

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=bulls+bag&ksubmit=y

Bunny eared bag:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...ag-heavy-bottom-sku749004931-35644-68488.aspx

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you tried PRS or MARS matches in the area? Even if you show up just to watch, you will probably be able to see almost every bag, how it is used, and likely be able to borrow and try them for a stage. It definitely helps being able to try stuff before buying.

Good idea!

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I have several Cole tac bags and love them. The cuddle the mini cuddle the woobie and another the boss bag. All work great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Can hardly remember when I sewed this up but way before you tube tube I'm sure of that.
    Its filled with bits of an old wool blanket interspersed with linen sheets cut into strips all scissored up.
    Its a seat, a pillow and what not, doubles as a long range holding device.
    Lightweight, drys out easy and is maintenance free.
    Outer shell is the stuff that used to go under upholstered automotive seats/padding. Jute maybe? Cant remember. Just the right weight and size for portability/ease of use.

old bag.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom