• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just curious if this is a primer/brass issue, but I’ve noticed the pockets on FC 223 brass are extremely tight. I’ve had to ream out several case pockets as the primers wouldn’t seat no matter what and managed to destroy a pair of primers in this process. Popped a couple PPU brass in the press at the end of the reloading session and primers pushed in easy peazy.

Out for 28 pieces of brass, about 10 had to have the pockets reamed. 10 that worked without doing anything, but super tight. 8 that worked fine, but still a bit tight.

Is it that federal has a slightly undersized pocket? Or are CCI 400s a bit on the larger size for SR primers?

Would running everything through a swage die uniform the pocket sizes better?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Just curious if this is a primer/brass issue, but I’ve noticed the pockets on FC 223 brass are extremely tight. I’ve had to ream out several case pockets as the primers wouldn’t seat no matter what and managed to destroy a pair of primers in this process. Popped a couple PPU brass in the press at the end of the reloading session and primers pushed in easy peazy.

Out for 28 pieces of brass, about 10 had to have the pockets reamed. 10 that worked without doing anything, but super tight. 8 that worked fine, but still a bit tight.

Is it that federal has a slightly undersized pocket? Or are CCI 400s a bit on the larger size for SR primers?

Would running everything through a swage die uniform the pocket sizes better?
    Yes, running everything through a swage die uniforms all primer pockets. From my experience, I feel more resistance on the swager when fc mil-crimped brass is fed in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    CCI 400s and 450s are hard primers in the first place. Are these once fired cases or have you reloaded them before?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    CCI 400s and 450s are hard primers in the first place. Are these once fired cases or have you reloaded them before?

A mixture of range brass and my once fired brass.

None of it has been reloaded by me previously. I’ve done a bit of reloading with 223 prior, but my first time pulling FC cases out of my pile of processed brass and loading them. I’ve been loading Remington and PPU once fired/range cases previously.

I guess I’ll setup my Lee APP and run all the cases through the swage die just to be sure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A mixture of range brass and my once fired brass.

None of it has been reloaded by me previously. I’ve done a bit of reloading with 223 prior, but my first time pulling FC cases out of my pile of processed brass and loading them. I’ve been loading Remington and PPU once fired/range cases previously.

I guess I’ll setup my Lee APP and run all the cases through the swage die just to be sure.

Yep. That should do it.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Maybe. They don’t visually appear crimped and it’s 223 head stamped brass.

I’ve reloaded some bulk Federal .223 that I purchased and factory fired and the primers are indeed crimped and the pockets need to be swaged.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve reloaded some bulk Federal .223 that I purchased and factory fired and the primers are indeed crimped and the pockets need to be swaged.

Dang it.

Okay, thanks guys. At least that explains my difficulties.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I pretty much have to swage every 223 the first time I use them. I work to separate reloads from range pick up so I don't have to do extra work

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a funny thread. I've always read that FC brass was notorious for having loose primer pockets. Never experienced it personally, just what I've read. :shrug:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This is a funny thread. I've always read that FC brass was notorious for having loose primer pockets. Never experienced it personally, just what I've read. :shrug:

After you shoot it a couple of times.

Starts tight, gets loose quickly.

Like Teratos' patients. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom