This WAS a M1 carbine, Hollyweird assholes should be shot with it. :mad54:

1968_1022_06adj.jpg

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    That looks like a Ruger 10/22 to me.

Actually you're correct but the original abortion was a M1 carbine.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.range365.com/guns-planet-apes-movies/

In the original film The Planet of the Apes (1968), the Apes exclusively use modified M1 Carbines. The .30 Cal. carbines were wrapped in large black-painted wood stocks that covered the action, barrel, and even the magazine so as to make the guns unidentifiable.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Actually you're correct but the original abortion was a M1 carbine.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.range365.com/guns-planet-apes-movies/

In the original film The Planet of the Apes (1968), the Apes exclusively use modified M1 Carbines. The .30 Cal. carbines were wrapped in large black-painted wood stocks that covered the action, barrel, and even the magazine so as to make the guns unidentifiable.

Wow painful please tell me it was an Iver Johnson, Plainfield or Universal

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The fact is, it's an expensive thing to make. No stamped parts and intricate machining using obsolete methods equals lots of labor equals $$. They were expensive to manufacture even when new.

I could be way off base, but I’d be shocked if all of the manufacturing methods were the same today as how they were originally built.

Doesn’t surprise me they run to $1000 new. A lot more machining than something like an AR-15 and made at significantly lower volumes. If they churned out 25k of them a year, economies of scale on making all of the parts I bet they could sell them for $800 and make the same kind of profit margin they are now.

I’d be surprised if Kahr is selling more than a thousand or two of them a year. There are MILLIONS of them in American hands today. I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a gun show of any reasonable size that didn’t have at least a few being sold.

I love them a ton, but there are more of them than Garands out there. In private hands world wide probably the only rifle more common is an SKS or Mosin-Nagant.

I am sure AKs are more numerous if you include ones in use by militaries or in armories. Just taking private hands.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Wow painful please tell me it was an Iver Johnson, Plainfield or Universal

In 68 the GOOD stuff could be had for 49 dollars, that was a drop in the bucket for Hollyweird.

On his death bed President Heston's dying words were "God forgive me, I knew not of what I have done"!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    In 68 the GOOD stuff could be had for 49 dollars, that was a drop in the bucket for Hollyweird.

On his death bed President Heston's dying words were "God forgive me, I knew not of what I have done"!

Im going to hug my USGI carbines now, along with their sibling Howa.

Seriously I am surprised the Khar arms/Inland/Rock-ola folks got into the receiver business $ for $ not a lot of gain today. Ten years from now maybe.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Im going to hug my USGI carbines now, along with their sibling Howa.

Seriously I am surprised the Khar arms/Inland/Rock-ola folks got into the receiver business $ for $ not a lot of gain today. Ten years from now maybe.

How do you like the Howa? At 1200 bucks it better be good!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Gotcha, what would one like yours go for today? Nice lil rifle.

Oh gosh I don't know, its a bit of an anomaly. Though they have really neat features like an updated flip sight that is similar to a AR15 A2 sight. Doesn't have the recognition or collectibility of USGI (not everything rare is valuable). Its also the only one I have seen that wasnt import marked.

My best guess between $800 and $900, maybe $1,000 on a good day.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Oh gosh I don't know, its a bit of an anomaly. Though they have really neat features like an updated flip sight that is similar to a AR15 A2 sight. Doesn't have the recognition or collectibility of USGI (not everything rare is valuable). Its also the only one I have seen that wasnt import marked.

My best guess between $800 and $900, maybe $1,000 on a good day.

Are the internals interchangeable with the real deal? I'd buy one like that if I could steal it. Meaning if it had a shitload of ammo with it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Are the internals interchangeable with the real deal? I'd buy one like that if I could steal it. Meaning if it had a shitload of ammo with it.

Ive never tried though Howa's original M1 carbine operation was set up based on their servicing of US guns and with US tooling. I would anticipate that most major components are interchangeable.

If your objective is to get a steal, there are not a lot of these in circulation and even fewer in decent condition. In the 2010ish you could stumble on racks of them at Chantilly, all dark and rough. They have since disappeared into collections. Most came in very poor with ringed barrels and corrosion, all have fairly substantial wear and don't muzzle gauge well. Mine is decent and well less than a 3 but more than my other GI (including a few CMP service grades) carbines. Last one I saw on GB went for $987 and it was pretty rough.

Obviously mine is not for sale, frankly Id snag another one if it was at a fair price. A plain Jane Inland ex CMP is probably your best bet for a value USGI (or eq.) gun. Some of the commercial stuff that used to go cheap really isnt anymore even with their investment cast receivers, early ones with a few scattered none structural USGI surplus, and sometimes stamped parts. I have a early Universal that was my first intro to M1s it does well but others are not so lucky. Great guns for $300 but poor choices at within 20% of a USGI make in good condition.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The importer of the Thai police surplus Howas had to rebuild many using US parts. Mine had an Inland trigger group and US M2 stock

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The importer of the Thai police surplus Howas had to rebuild many using US parts but like most things M1 its almost impossible to prove. Mine had an Inland trigger group and US M2 stock

Yes, there were some that likely got US parts along the way. Really aside from the wonky bayo lug set-up its what the next iteration of the M1 carbine should have been.

Just a note on mixmasters, this is normal due to the contracto poll and while you can track down the correct configuration (or at least the options) most will be mixed, especially considering the vast majority went through the post WWII rebuild and got slide sites and bayo lugs etc. I am always suspicious of a all matching M1. Out of all my M1 stock carbines only one is all matching and its in its WWII configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom