• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got a Remington 700 inbound. It is presently a 30-06. I'm toying with the idea of re-barrelling it. I'm leaning towards a heavy barrelled long range rig. Besides .308, what are my other options for this action?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I built two for a standard long action. I did one in 270 win Sendero profile 1x8 twist 26” barrel so I could shoot the Berger 170 gr Elite hunter. Pushes the 170 at 2,900 FPS. The other one supersonic to 1 mile at sea level. Next on was a 284 win which was designed as a short action chambering but I used a long action and custom chambered a match chambering to handle 197 gr SMK . 3.434 cop. Sendero 1*8 twist 28” barrel with s break. Shoot 185 RDF at 2,840 FPS supersonic to almost 2,000 yds at sea level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I also built a 338 win Mag. just need to upgrade to magnum face. However bolt will probably have to be adjusted buy a blacksmith. Has a riveted extractor. 26” Sendero 1x10 twist with break. Shoots 250 gr SMK’s At 2,850 and 300 gr Berger At 2,450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I've got a Remington 700 inbound. It is presently a 30-06. I'm toying with the idea of re-barrelling it. I'm leaning towards a heavy barrelled long range rig. Besides .308, what are my other options for this action?

308 would be a short action, so that's really not even an option for your receiver. You could do .270 or 25-06 or any of the above.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'd vote for .284 Win with a long throat to maximize powder capacity with the projectile of your choice. Absent that, a .280AI would be a solid choice. If you want to get into wildcats, the list REALLY opens up. The Gibbs cases come to mind.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    308 would be a short action, so that's really not even an option for your receiver. You could do .270 or 25-06 or any of the above.
    Showing my ignorance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd vote for .284 Win with a long throat to maximize powder capacity with the projectile of your choice. Absent that, a .280AI would be a solid choice. If you want to get into wildcats, the list REALLY opens up. The Gibbs cases come to mind.
    I don't think I want to get too exotic. I'm looking more mainstream where brass will not be hard or expensive to find.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Depends on the purpose of the rifle. Hunting? PRS game? Plinking?

Hunting...300 win mag for me.

PRS depends on your game. 284 Cheyenne is awesome, or straight 284 if you like big holes. I just went down this road, and landed on a 6x47 lapua (short action). Give a look at the ballistics of a 107gr in a 6x47 vs a 300 win mag...pretty dam close. Obviously 300 has a ton more energy so really depends on purpose...steel or paper.

Plinker... I'd rebbarrel in 30-06 or just shoot as is until the throat is gone. Ammo is decently cheap in 30-06, and hand loads will go faster than a 308.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    280AI and 284 are both SAAMI chamberings. The 284 win you will have to tell your smith to pick a reamer that has a long throat or just run a throating reamer into the chamber after he reams the body to set correct throat depth. It is important to decide what you want to do with the rifle and thus what projectiles you plan to concentrate on. If you don't you will give up case volume when your pills hit the lands and have a lot of shank/heel hanging out in the case or you will find yourself running a lot of jump (if you pick too long of a throat and want to shoot shorter pills). Brass for .284Win can be spotty but Winchester did do a run this year. I opt to neck up Lapua 6.5-284Norma brass. Others do the same thing with Norma brass. Later this year or early next year, Petersen will be offering it (so they said at SHOT anyway). 280AI is available already formed and ready to load from Nosler. You can also use any 280Rem brass and just fireform your own (it is really easy). I tend to look harder at cases with longer brass life as I hate chucking brass when the webs thin out. Trimming is also minimized by using a better case design. My .22-250AIs tend to run 5+ reloads at max (or overmax) charge without needing shoulders bumped or length trimmed. If you stay off the top end, this is extended even more (but I don't own .22-250AIs to shoot light loads). The real advantage to 280AI and 284Win with long throat is the ability to shoot heavy, high BC, bullets at respectable velocities. I wouldn't try taking game animals at ultra long ranges with such a case, but I would not hesitate to use either for ELR stages at practical rifle matches. My hunting partner has a .280AI i set up for him and regularly takes whitetail at over 600yd (beanfield cannon). His is optimized for 150ABLR Noslers. For long range paper or steel, you might want to go with 168-180 class bullets. Both 280AI and 284 win have good quality dies available readily from several manufacturers. No custom die wait times and high costs.

If you are into 6.5s, a 6.5-06 AI would get my vote. They tend not to smoke out as fast as the 6.5-284Normas, but that really depends on your loading and shooting practices. The 6.5-06 is an option, but I don't like the case taper and shoulder angle. They feed great but the cases are prone to growth. the AI variant cures these ills, allows the same velocities at lower pressure, and just plain looks cool. Brass is very easy to make. Downside-dies will cost more than the above mentioned 7mm choices.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since way back when I had hair, I've coveted a .25-06 . More recently I've been wanting a 6.5-06 .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can do a short round in a long action. But not earthly reason to do so.

Creedmore is a short cartridge.

Long action calibers:

By Caliber

240 Weatherby Magnum
    6mm-284 Winchester
    257 Roberts
    25-06 Remingtona ^30-06 Springfield is the parent case (origin) for this cartridge
    6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser
    6.5-06 A-Square
    264 Winchester Magnum
    270 Winchester ^30-06 Springfield is the parent case (origin) for this cartridge
    280 Remington ^30-06 Springfield is the parent case (origin) for this cartridge
    30-40 Krag
    30-06 Springfield
    303 British
    8x57 Mauser
    35 Whelen ^30-06 Springfield is the parent case (origin) for this cartridge
    350 Remington Magnum
    45-70 Government

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members