• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Curious about hardness of some lead I recently was gifted plus some other lead I already had, I purchased a Lee Hardness tester.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Lead-Hardness-Test/dp/B004Y6YH3W

I found the test on my ingots and some previous batches of lead cast bullets was pretty consistent. If I filed a nice flat spot, the measurements were typically within .1 BNH of each other. Not even filing flats on my cup cake pan ingots, #'s were within .2 of each other typically when from the same batch.

Testing some of my ingots I melted down from dive weights, they came in anywhere from 9.0-12

What was told to me was "pure soft" lead plus a big 14lb bar recently gifted to me were all around 5.0 BNH

Here is another article that also shows an expanded scale of the Lee Tester
    http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluations_and_Recommendations_for_Lead-Alloy_Hardness_Testers.html

FYI, Here is another older thread on Harness with alternative ideas on testing.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?189999&p=4238180#post4238180

I am currently casting the following items for this spring/summer shooting/Fishing

BP round balls (want soft lead)
    BP Minie Ball & LEE REAL (want soft lead)
    9mm (?)
    45 (?)
    Fishing Bank sinkers (2oz-6ox) What ever I have left over. Don't even care much about consistency.

The 9mm and 45 I will alox lube. Not sure if what I want to use are the harder metal or soft (or should not care)

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I had trouble with the lee. It has to be in a certain form, like a bullet.

I also have an LBT lead hardness. Seems great until you get real hard, like pure linotype. Anything over 21, seems off.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Snip......

I am currently casting the following items for this spring/summer shooting/Fishing

BP round balls (want soft lead)
    BP Minie Ball & LEE REAL (want soft lead)
    9mm (?)
    45 (?)
    Fishing Bank sinkers (2oz-6ox) What ever I have left over. Don't even care much about consistency.

The 9mm and 45 I will alox lube. Not sure if what I want to use are the harder metal or soft (or should not care)

In "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee (the Lee reloading manual) Chapter 10 is Matching Bullet Metal To Chamber Pressures. This will explain what hardness you want for what loads you will be shooting.

Yes you can add 3% Antimony to adjust hardness.:D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a bucket (maybe 25 pounds) of (misc) lead I will give you for some .495 leads balls of soft lead and some .451 lead balls of soft lead.

I will have to see what molds I have. I THINK I have a 495. I dont' have a .451 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom