• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Hi all I fig I would ask the question here. I am headed to just south of the Quantico area Friday and need to be somewhere at the worst time... (between 3 and 8pm) Actually 7pm to be exact, but I know that area is hell to get to from those hours
    I was recomended by someone to take 301 and just go down cut across the river by Fredericsburg take 3 to either 1 or 95 north to about 5 miles from there. What do you think? would this be any quicker/less stressful than 95 south. I know 301 is inoying with lights etc, but wondering if it is faster than the 10mph craw that 95 south of DC is on any rush hour. And yes I know I can go early and chill but its a ketch 22, I leave at say 1 or 2, get down there like 4, Leave at 3 and sit in traffic (on 95) for 4 hr and arrive around 7 hopefully.
    Any help is welcome

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You're screwed no matter what you do on this one.....honestly. 301 is a disaster with bathrooms and cold drinks nearby.

95 is a disaster with no red lights.

Pick your poison.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    As I suggested, go 301, there is a $3 Omalley toll to go across a bridge in VA, but it is 100% faster at that time of day than 95. to make it faster take 95 to the inner loop of the Wash beltway, and then jump on 301, even the woodrow wilson bridge isnt that bad, its 95 south from 495 to Fredericksburg thats the problem

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    If I were in your place, I would use the route you suggested: 301 south to 3 (Fredericksburg), then north a bit. Waldorf is the pits but most of the rest moves better. As an additional suggestion, I propose that you look on a map for VA Rts 206 or 205 as shortcuts to getting from 301 to Rt 3. These would of course, be after you cross the $3.00 'Nice' bridge (that's as in Governor). :)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The bridge in question is the "Nice Bridge" between MD and VA on Rt. 301. I have co-workers who live in Arlington that cross the WW, take the Indian Head down to Waldorf and cross the Nice Bridge just to get to across. So it's a good route.

Be aware they are doing lots of work over there and will lose one of the two lanes every now and then, effectively making it a one-way bridge. Flagmen then shuffle traffic back and forth.

The bridge has a lane closed this whole weekend.

I take it often at the times you suggest. You should be fine, but plan on a few extra minutes in case they shut something down.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If there is an accident on the 301 bridge you are screwed and you may as well find a hotel or turn around to go home because there is no alternate route available for hours drive around.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    If there is an accident on the 301 bridge you are screwed and you may as well find a hotel or turn around to go home because there is no alternate route available for hours drive around.

I second that. I think that's also why both the MD and Va State Police are all over that bridge. It definitely keeps the crazy driving at bay. It is rare when I do not see several LEOs hanging around or doing checks. They even hang out in the toll booths sometimes.

Which leads to another suggestion: take the 25 MPH limit on the MD lead-up to the tolls seriously. Likewise the return trip to MD (not 25 MPH but closely monitored all the same).

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    ... to make it faster take 95 to the inner loop of the Wash beltway, and then jump on 301...

If the OP isn't familiar with the area, this info will get him lost as 301 doesn't connect to the beltway.

OP- Take Exit 7 BranchAve/Md Rte 5 south. 301 and 5 merge in Brandywine, then a couple miles later 5 exits left and goes to St Mary's County at the north end of Waldorf. Continue straight though Waldorf and keep going south to the bridge as you will already be on 301.

Once you are in VA, you can cut a couple miles off by taking 205 west to King George and catching VA Rte 3 there.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Even though I live in Calvert I do the NoVA to Dahlgren every now and then. I tend to take 110 (Indian Head) off of the beltway and then catch up with 301 south of Waldorf. So I pretty much ignore Rt. 5.

Has anyone compared the two routes? Is 5 going to be faster than 110? I'll try it next time but am hoping someone has already done the test.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Even though I live in Calvert I do the NoVA to Dahlgren every now and then. I tend to take 110 (Indian Head) off of the beltway and then catch up with 301 south of Waldorf. So I pretty much ignore Rt. 5.

Has anyone compared the two routes? Is 5 going to be faster than 110? I'll try it next time but am hoping someone has already done the test.

personally I prefer going 5 or taking 4 all the way to 495

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

Rt5 to 301 can really suck, so I'm hoping this lead pans out.

As for the OP:

95 is more likely to suck worse than 301, so our default is to go 301 when heading to the grammaw's in Fredricksburg.

I used to drive from Arlington to VA Beach every few weeks on Fridays back in 2001-2003. I would always avoid 95 in favor of Rt1/301. And those were the "good old days" :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom