• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Been saving up for a while and piecing things together. Always loved the snakeskin serrations and was able to get a slide from Caspian that was right up my alley.

Not 100% done but pretty darn close. Need to do a little polishing on the metal and find someone local that does bead blasting. Also need to find a way to get out a grip screw I stripped (and not hurt my grips). One of the bushings threads must not be true and I stripped a screw...not very happy about that.

Foster frame, Caspian slide. Novak rear, SBM gold bead front.

1cceb020ab41520d89253b2e0bd19317.jpg

May add a magwell in the future but I need to cut some weight before I do that. Also debating putting an angle on the dustcover but thats still up in the air as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Screws that spin can often times be removed by applying pressure (push or pull) as you turn the screw. The pressure helps to engage what little bit of thread is still there.

Try removing the opposite grip and applying pressure to the base of the screw as you turn it with a allen wrench. Those bushings are drilled through so you will have access from the opposite side of the frame.

Or you could apply JB Weld to the end of an allen wrench and stick it in the screw head. Let it dry. Then pull on the screw as you turn it.

Hope this helps.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Nice job.

I am just finishing up an 80% 1911. What barrel and bushing did you use with the Caspian slide?

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Wow thats an awesome piece, great job, I love the slide as well

Did you use an 80% frame? Whats an estimated cost for one of these builds, this would be something I would be interested in completing.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Wow thats an awesome piece, great job, I love the slide as well

Did you use an 80% frame? Whats an estimated cost for one of these builds, this would be something I would be interested in completing.
    Frame is a Foster 100% Frame (caspian blem thought I could find nothing wrong with it). I had planned to do an 80% but between jig cost and no drill press I decided to pass...(may do one eventually)

Appox costs
    Frame 180?
    BT 20
    Slide 220
    Barrel 79
    Internal parts 250 ish - Thunder Mountain Customs
    Sights (2nd hand) 55
    Grips 25

I think thats everything so Im around 800 bucks into this build. I was trying to be patient and watched for some deals which helped.

Cheaper than factory build? No but frame to slide fit as well as bushing fit are all hand done. Plus I knew I wanted some specific things like gold front bead and the snakeskin slide which are is usually pretty expensive.

Overall I'm very pleased. In time may send it out for front strap work, I've beem watching tutorials on checkering but dont have the stones for it yet.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Any opinions on beveling the dust cover? I was debating doing a 1/4 round from the top of the rail to the rear of the front serrations.
    fe545b65a7ae70c60a946aa45cbb33f0.jpg

Or just a 45deg angle
    13196de8c547cd22f64ed9e3f5ec28f4.jpg

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Nice job. That's a very cool looking 1911.
    Thank you! Now I just gotta get out and shoot it!

BTW its all stainless just because the thumb safety and mag release havent been polished as much they are showing a bit darker than the rest.

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    Mind me asking how much building a 1911 like this costs? Been thinking about doing it for a while but never got around to actually pricing it out...

By the way, beautiful build and you should be proud.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Mind me asking how much building a 1911 like this costs? Been thinking about doing it for a while but never got around to actually pricing it out...

By the way, beautiful build and you should be proud.
    Give or take I believe Im a hair over 800. Cheap money saving build no? I could have done it cheaper but I had soke specifics in mind for the build. That being said I doubt I could buy a 1911 built this way for the price.

It has an upgraded trigger with just a bit of take up. (Compared to my other C&S ignition group very comparable). Upgraded gold bead front sight and non standard slide cuts.

Ill admit the beavertail isnt perfect but its not bad either, and the slide has the tiniest bit of wiggle but less than most production guns I've held. The bushing and lockup are very tight so I'm excited about shooting it and seeing how it shoots.

Either way my main goal was to learn and try something new. Plus it gave me time to get parts together as I got the money and build it the way I wanted.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nice work. Looks good, very clean.

I built a similar pistol and used the 45 degree transition. Different slide cut.

I did paintbrush mickey mouse alteration to show a half round. Not sure the effect is correct with the blue finish but here it is. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
      IMG_0761.JPG
      97.2 KB · Views: 331
    • IMG_0761 half round dust cover cut.jpg
      IMG_0761 half round dust cover cut.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 327

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member