• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Built some custom design grips on the CNC for a friend. These are for a S&W Victory 22LR target pistol. Apparently wood grips aren't available. Pictures are as from the CNC without any finish yet.

John C

Attachments

• SW Victory.jpg
      SW Victory.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 395
    • SW Victory back.jpg
      SW Victory back.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 374

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Nice work.
    Did you use an available program or do it all yourself.

I am new to this and still learning all the possibilities.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Thanks!

I use Solidworks or Blender to model the shape of the grip. Then I use Deskproto to add the checkering toolpaths and generate the G Code. Starting to do 3D scans of BP pistols stocks so I can replicate them on the CNC. Below is a STL model of a BP pistol I have scanned. Once they are an STL format file Deskproto can generate the G Code.

Attachments

• Small BP pistol.jpg
      Small BP pistol.jpg
      18 KB · Views: 405

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Awesome looking grips. Love to see them on the gun. How much would you have to get for them to make it worth making them?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So freaking cool!! I love threads like this on what some of you all build!!!

What wood did you use?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Do these require a 5 axis cnc? We have a 5' X 12' 3 axis and wondering if it could do this type of work. Using Enroute currently and importing .dxf from Autocad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Those are some GREAT looking grips. I wish I had the talent, ( and machinery :-) to do that kind of work as I used to love working with my hands when I owned a house. Now, with an apt, no room for that kind of work. But they look absolutely professional and well made. GREAT JOB!!

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Wow! Thanks for all the encouragement. I am just starting to play with this stuff.

trailtoy: Not doing grips commercially yet and don't even know if it will be possible. Custom artwork for the checkering and the CNC cutting take about 8 hours. And that assumes the 3D model of the grip already exists. Just doing a few here and there to get my feet wet.

mpdc4511: Wood is cocobolo and had to build an enclosure around the router to keep the dust out of my lungs.

mxrider: The CNC router is a really high quality 10 inch x 12 inch x 4 inch 3 axis router. To do checkering your CNC needs to be repeatable to one or two thousanths. But try it and see!

John C

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks!

I use Solidworks or Blender to model the shape of the grip. Then I use Deskproto to add the checkering toolpaths and generate the G Code. Starting to do 3D scans of BP pistols stocks so I can replicate them on the CNC. Below is a STL model of a BP pistol I have scanned. Once they are an STL format file Deskproto can generate the G Code.

What tool do you use to scan and how much detail can it pickup?

I building my own tabletop CNC and my first project was going to finish an 80% lower.

f001d52655683bdf33fac279adae8a50.jpg

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=196818

Now after seeing those grips the wheels are turning even faster. Being able to scan stuff in 3D could really be great for getting a design idea moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    ToolAA,

I use photogrammetry to scan 3D objects. That is where you take a bunch of pictures around an object and then a software program like Agisoft Photoscan reads the pictures and generates a 3D model. You then usually have to clean up the scanned model a bit before you export as an STL file for 3D printing or G Code generation for CNC routing. Level of detail is the resolution of your camera. My camera has 6K points horizontal. So if the object just fits in the viewer and is 6 inches wide then the possible resolution is one thousandth. Theoretically. At my beginning skill level it is more like 0.062.

John C

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA,

I use photogrammetry to scan 3D objects. That is where you take a bunch of pictures around an object and then a software program like Agisoft Photoscan reads the pictures and generates a 3D model.

John C

This is good info the standard edition seems reasonably priced.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    ToolAA,

I took a short photography class at Carroll Community and used my student number to buy the academic version from Agisoft. That is very reasonably priced. The real problem is not software, it is taking pictures that capture the data you need correctly. For grips there is the problem that polymer take lousy pictures. I gave up 3D scanning on the grips above and just drew it up in CAD. Grips are not really organic shapes and lend themselves to CAD. More on my photogrammetry at: http://carpenterswoodworking.com/?page_id=665

John C

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    John that link to your blog is a great site. I just bookmarked it and will be spending more time reading after work.

My wife is a teacher so i think she would qualify for the edu version.

Im also interested in the cnc you are building if you post any photos I'd love to see them.

If you ever need something 3d printed maybe i can help out. I just built a printer a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom