• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Since I spend time in illinois every year, I'm trying to get a CCW/CCL there. They won't offer it to Maryland residents because Maryland hasn't responded to their survey.

I sent this to Gov Hogan on his contact form. Here is the response from Illinois

"We would need for the state of Maryland to respond to the survey we sent
    out. They did not respond to the original mailing two years ago and have
    yet to respond to the resent mailing a few months back. If they respond
    and are substantially similar then you would be eligible to apply as a
    non-resident.
    Respectfully,
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Concealed Carry Unit"

Not sure what else to do.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Since I spend time in illinois every year, I'm trying to get a CCW/CCL there. They won't offer it to Maryland residents because Maryland hasn't responded to their survey.

I sent this to Gov Hogan on his contact form. Here is the response from Illinois

"We would need for the state of Maryland to respond to the survey we sent
    out. They did not respond to the original mailing two years ago and have
    yet to respond to the resent mailing a few months back. If they respond
    and are substantially similar then you would be eligible to apply as a
    non-resident.
    Respectfully,
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Concealed Carry Unit"

Not sure what else to do.
    Good luck. Hogan has not taken any action that I would consider pro 2A since taking office. I'd like an IL permit for my collection as well. In the meantime it is car carry only for me in IL.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Just a thought... wouldn't this be something handled by the AG...? if so... F**k-face the AG would have no interest in replying.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I asked Illinois who they sent it to and all I got was "the state of Maryland" in their response. I asked again specifically where they sent it. No response yet.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    MSI has a copy of the letter sent from the Illinois State Police to Maryland's Superintendent of State Police which we obtained indirectly from IL via a PIA request. I may post it later when I have time.

Yes, the MSP appear to have conveniently ignored or lost the letter from Illinois. This occurred around Oct 2013.

However, even if the MSP did answer IL's survey, because Maryland's laws are not the same as Illinois (only about 3 states responded and met all 4 of IL criteria) it was unlikely IL would have recognized MD's permits.

Perhaps Jack McCauley will chime in, and I hope it is something MSI will be working on.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's just a simple response to a query from another state. Just a statement of facts about MD laws - it isn't pro or anti.

Wonder if this goes to the Governor's office, or the AG's office. Can't see Frosh bothering to deal with this.

However even if this is being sent to Frosh, this is another good reason to lobby Hogan's office to modernize the Maryland concealed carry permitting process to be in line with other states across the US, including Illinois. If the Palmer case makes further progress, DC may even have a more straightforward process (with no G&S bs) compared to Maryland.

Feb 28, 2013
    What does Maryland have to do with anyone getting a permit in Illinois? MD doesn't have a damn thing to say about that. That's between you and the Illinois State Police.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    What does Maryland have to do with anyone getting a permit in Illinois? MD doesn't have a damn thing to say about that. That's between you and the Illinois State Police.
    You must have a home state issued permit that meets IL requirements before they will issue a non-resident permit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

The twist here is that IL is only allowing certain state residents (VA,HI,NM,and SC) to even apply due to their efforts to throw out the baby with the bath water by eliminating any states whose prohibited persons reporting doesn't match theirs. MD may or may not match-but if they won't tell IL, then IL won't let any MD residents apply.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    You must have a home state issued permit that meets IL requirements before they will issue a non-resident permit.

Same applies in PA also. If I ever make it back to my roots in PA, I could have a permit almost immediately. Merryland sucks in so many ways...head for the hills and you'll be able to live safely and armed, if you so choose, for the rest of your days.

Lew-Ranger63

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The twist here is that IL is only allowing certain state residents (VA,HI,NM,and SC) to even apply due to their efforts to throw out the baby with the bath water by eliminating any states whose prohibited persons reporting doesn't match theirs. MD may or may not match-but if they won't tell IL, then IL won't let any MD residents apply.

Nice, I can get an IL NR CCW! :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom