• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I would like to take a couple of deer this season, but I've never hunted in Virginia before (I'm new to the commonwealth).

I've looked over the VA hunting regs and I think I have a grasp on permits, but I'm not sure if I need a hunter's safety course under my belt before I can by a hunting permit and deer tags to legally hunt in VA. Anyone have any info on this?

I see antlerless deer season runs from 7-SEP to 4-OCT, and rifle open season starts 16-NOV and runs to a number of different dates depending on the city/county.

Anyone up for taking out a VA newbie this season so he can learn the ropes? I'd be much obliged.

Thanks everyone!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you have a hunter safety course from any state you can use it for your license here. If you don't have one, there are plenty of places to take the class. I have no idea where you are in Virginia, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. BTW, there's a muzzleloader season between archery and modern firearms season. Last year's license had 6 deer and two bear tags and I think 3 turkey, maybe 4. You'll need a standard hunting license and the big game license to hunt modern firearms, and an archery license for archery season. You can get a separate crossbow license if that's what you're using.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you have a hunter safety course from any state you can use it for your license here. If you don't have one, there are plenty of places to take the class. I have no idea where you are in Virginia, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. BTW, there's a muzzleloader season between archery and modern firearms season. Last year's license had 6 deer and two bear tags and I think 3 turkey, maybe 4. You'll need a standard hunting license and the big game license to hunt modern firearms, and an archery license for archery season. You can get a separate crossbow license if that's what you're using.

So I would need a standard license and big game tag to hunt with a centerfire rifle. Do I need to buy deer tags too?

What's your location? I'd let you roam on my 20ac but it is in far Southern VA.

I'm in Alexandria, but I wouldn't mind the drive. :innocent0

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    When I went to Highland County about three years ago I needed a hunting license and believe it was a big game license as well. One of them came with the tags, but I do not remember which one. I haven't checked the regs lately so I'm not sure if anything had change. It was still an arm and a leg compared to the resident license.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Va , like a growing number of states that aren't Md , also offers an Aprentace Hunting Lic . A one time lic good for two years , it's the equivilent of a learners permit for cars. Have to be under the direct supervision of a fully lic'ed hunter, does not require a Hunter Safety class in advance. To get a regular Lic , you must complete the HS within the 24 months.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Va , like a growing number of states that aren't Md , also offers an Aprentace Hunting Lic . A one time lic good for two years , it's the equivilent of a learners permit for cars. Have to be under the direct supervision of a fully lic'ed hunter, does not require a Hunter Safety class in advance. To get a regular Lic , you must complete the HS within the 24 months.

Excellent info Biggfoot44! Thanks, sir.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    2015 - another try.

Didn't get to make it out last year, but I'm itching to go this year. I've got my VA hunter's safety course out of the way, and just need a permit/tags.

Anyone want to bring along a newby this season? I listen up real good. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom