• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have a Tasco scope on my .270 its been on there at least 13yrs I don't remember when I put it on exactly...but its killed a lot of different stuff in that time..its still working so I'll keep it. I think with anything man made you get some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Ive been very happy with my Tasco scope so far.:D

Just so we are clear on this, I have nothing against a Tasco scope. You had to read the thread in the rifles forum about zeroing in to understand what was going on, and even then most of the posts pertaining to what I am talking about are gone. However, the OP started that thread and probably knows exactly what I am referring to.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just so we are clear on this, I have nothing against a Tasco scope. You had to read the thread in the rifles forum about zeroing in to understand what was going on, and even then most of the posts pertaining to what I am talking about are gone. However, the OP started that thread and probably knows exactly what I am referring to.

I wasn't meaning to get you all Riled up...I was just saying I like my cheap old Tasco..

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    A nice Washington County buck. Here is another Washington County 8 point, taken on my property at Indian Springs, with my trusty old Savage 99F, .308. Now it's on to PA for opening day. Good luck to all the hunters, be safe.

Awesome rifle adjuster! My youngest son hunted his first season in PA three years ago his maternal great-grandfathers Model 99 in 300 savage.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    A nice Washington County buck. Here is another Washington County 8 point, taken on my property at Indian Springs, with my trusty old Savage 99F, .308. Now it's on to PA for opening day. Good luck to all the hunters, be safe.

Dang ron. We haven't had any luck down here on prathers neck. May hit the valley later.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Good harvests, fellas, and congratulations. I'm going to try my luck again on public land tomorrow AM with my trusty scoped Super Redhawk, which is an absolute JOY to lug through the brambles compared to my bow or muzzleloader. I won't hold my breath on actually seeing one worth shooting but it'll be cool just the same.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Incoming noob post.

So the area I want to hunt is shotgun only (frederick county thing). I have a standard rem 870 with whatever choke comes with it.

I am not a shotgun guy, I usually just shoot shotshell out of it. Can I use this as a slug gun? Do I need to do anything to it or with the choke?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Incoming noob post.

So the area I want to hunt is shotgun only (frederick county thing). I have a standard rem 870 with whatever choke comes with it.

I am not a shotgun guy, I usually just shoot shotshell out of it. Can I use this as a slug gun? Do I need to do anything to it or with the choke?

You can Ive heard the dime trick

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Incoming noob post.

You can use it as a slug gun, but you need to see what slugs work out of it. There are rifled slugs that work best out of smooth bore barrels, which you have, and then there are sabots that work best out of fully rifled barrels. In my opinion, sabots are a lot better than slugs in accuracy and knock down energy.

Most noobs with a smooth bore barrel start with Remington Sluggers or an equivalent from another manufacturer. They are cheap but they work when they hit a deer. Thing is, they are not very accurate. Heck, using a smooth bore isn't very accurate. Smooth bore with rifled lead slugs is around 50 to 75 yards in accurate range.

Now, for an 870 you can purchase a rifled choke tube and give sabots a shot. There are also a ton of fully rifled barrels out there for the 870, which would be the way I would go if you have a couple hundred dollars to spare. The accuracy is much better and you can shoot out to 150 yards with a fully rifled barrel and sabots IF you spend the time sighting in your gun and figuring out which sabot works best out of your barrel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Incoming noob post.

As mentioned, a rifled choke would work best. I've used one in my 870 with Remington Sluggers, did pretty well with them. I suggest maybe getting a rifled barrel if you really want to get into it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As mentioned, a rifled choke would work best. I've used one in my 870 with Remington Sluggers, did pretty well with them. I suggest maybe getting a rifled barrel if you really want to get into it.

I killed this buck 10 years ago with my Benelli SBE with a fully rifled barrel and Federal Barnes Expander sabots. Hardly done any deer hunting since then. Funny how I met my wife that year. lol

Attachments

• MdShooters15.jpg
      MdShooters15.jpg
      158 KB · Views: 80

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I killed this buck 10 years ago with my Benelli SBE with a fully rifled barrel and Federal Barnes Expander sabots. Hardly done any deer hunting since then. Funny how I met my wife that year. lol

how did it walk with no legs??:innocent0;) Nice buck...I hope to one day get a drop tine buck...I have yet to see one in the states Ive hunted.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    lol - didn't have the camera with me that morning and had to haul a bunch of deer out of the woods. I was lucky to get that pic before the sun set. That is the only drop tine buck I have ever killed.

Still a drop tine...they are pretty rare...at least in my experience. I haven't even seen one on game camera where I hunted. And I had/have tons of deer pics.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia

Yep I know what you are referring too. It was a long story but that was what is being referred to..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom