See pic- Will the fawn survive if a doe is taken?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I agree. I love young deer in my belly. Dunno why people shoot big bucks.
    Some animals may be too dumb for emotions. Some definitely display very complex emotions. Ever have 2 dogs and have one die?

only good for chili...I'll shoot a mature doe or even a yearling doe over a old rutty buck. Even spikes are ok in my book

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Shoot them both, doe first and the fawn will come back to her. Although some can't bring themselves to do this. I'm a meat hunter and it's part of population control depending on your area.

Now to answer your question, yes it can survive and is old enough to eat and survive on food other then milk. This is why the boy season opens when it does!!!

Agreed, its not like we have a shortage of deer around here.

I actually go for the small deer before the large deer myself. They make dragging and cleaning much easier

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I tend to speculate...that another doe with plenty of mother's milk, will adopt the foster fawn; if enough food is available.

When October rolls around, most Maryland whitetail fawns are weaned off of mother's milk...so don't feel guilty to bag a doe in October; that is with fawns.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    While on a commercial dive, I had to put down a 2 month old fawn for humanitarian reasons. She eviserated her abdomen region and tore her rear leg after being caught on a barbed wire fence. She was baaing like a lamb. I know Mama had to be in the woods watching. While the state bridge inspector held her, I put a .38 +P HP into the back of her head. I hated to do it. However, one of the construction laborers dressed the meat and put it on ice. The next day, he set up a grill and I had the tenderest venison tenderloin that I had ever had.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

In my experience, the does & fawns herd up in August & September...

This fawn looks very healthy...

So my guess is that this fawn can survive if it can stay with the herd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom