• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    It might be 1200 at BCGF but nobody follows it. :innocent0
    I quoted 1290 since that is ATA regulation.

No wonder why it takes me so long to break birds. It would be nice if the AGC could change the rule to add 90FPS since there is a lot of 1290 ammo being sold.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    No wonder why it takes me so long to break birds. It would be nice if the AGC could change the rule to add 90FPS since there is a lot of 1290 ammo being sold.

I've not seen any 1290 being sold; where and what?

Remington Nitro 27 are 1235 fps
    Winchester AA are 1250 fps
    Remington nitro gold sporting clays are 1300 fps
    Remington Gunclub are 1200 fps
    Federal target are 1200 fps
    Rio Target are 1200 fps

Go here for more on fps
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=364588

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    1200 fps is a standard trap load and is there for a reason, the shot fall zone at AGC is short and they are concerned with cars being hit on Marriottsville Road.
    Someone awhile back was op there shooting high velocity hunting ammo with large shot and hit a members car.
    In trap there is no need for anything more than 1200 fps,I use 1oz of 8's at 1175fps and have many 25,50 and 75 straight's under my belt. technique,focus on the bird and gun control is way more important than fps. High velocity heavy loads can actually lead to you developing a flinch from the recoil. I shoot about 10 thousand rounds a year,anything I can do to reduce the recoil helps.
    If anyone would like tips on trap shooting at AGC I would be happy to meet you on a Sat or Sun and show you the basic.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Some of the guys have switched to higher velocity loads for when they shoot the elimination games. There are times you can be shooting 40 to 45 yards behind the house.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Some of the guys have switched to higher velocity loads for when they shoot the elimination games. There are times you can be shooting 40 to 45 yards behind the house.

Sorry, but there is never a time when anyone is shooting 40 to 45 yards behind the house. At least not while shooting trap. The longest handicap yardage is 27.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    Sorry, but there is never a time when anyone is shooting 40 to 45 yards behind the house. At least not while shooting trap. The longest handicap yardage is 27.

I'll just leave this here. While not technically "trap", it is a ton of fun, even more so when it is set to wobble :party29:

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    Is this done often? Now that I own a shotgun, I'd love to give trap shooting a try.

I believe this Wednesday and then again 2 weeks from now. Check the calendar in the first post. I think it is once a year, but not sure.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    *Bump*

Just a reminder that this is today. If you go, please post back and let me know how you liked trap shooting.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I was planning on heading down there but I had to work late, Dammit. Keep us posted on the next opportunity and I'll try to manage my time better!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

You've never shot the games at BCGF! The fence is easily 40 yards off the trap house.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    Just remember not to aim your gun like a rifle. That's the mistake I keep making. Point and shoot.

When you shoot trap, one should point and not aim. When you pull the trigger, one should only see the clay in primary vision and the barrel in secondary vision. At least this is what I've learned, I'm certainly no expert.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If you can, learn to shoot with both eyes open, a lot of us coming from rifle and pistol, are used to closing 1 eye. There are very good one eye shooters out there,Nora Ross for example but the majority are 2 eyed.
    Focus on the bird not the barrel, keep your head locked on the stock, arm up helps keep the gun in place, swing from the body, not your arms. If you swing with your arms you will pull the gun away from your face on the hard angles and miss.
    Go to the Trap brochure at Remington,
    http://www.remington.com/en/pages/news-and-resources/downloads/brochure-downloads.aspx
    These are the basic tips on hold points and foot position,good starting point.
    The gun is the least important for 16 yard trap, trap is 90 % mental and 10% equipment, a good trap gun does help but is not absolutely necessary. I prefer my trap gun for competition but have fun shooting just about anything for fun.
    Most of all have fun, clay target sports get addictive, prepare to have a whole lot less extra cash if you really get into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom