• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm sure he'd have done the same for a Democratic Delegate...

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    So he makes a plea bargain for no jail time and the judge give it to him anyway? I bet if he was a democrat he would have gotten off scott free...

The plea deal is only between the prosecution and defense. The judge doesn't have to recognize it.

At first, I felt that this is a case of trying to bring down a pro 2A republican, but, after all, it did involve a crash where people were injured....

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He gets hit (while drunk) by another boat and gets time?

Says a lot. I don't know if I agree with this harsh of a punishment.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like Dwyer, but I have no problem with this sentence. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. It could have been my kids out on that river. Thank God there were no serious injuries. Everyone who does something like this ought to be punished at least as harshly.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Ugh.

Facts that matter:
    1) He was boating under the influence.
    2) The Plea Bargain that he consented to was to avoid jail time.
    3) The judge has the power to give a heavier sentence.

Facts that don't really matter:
    1) Dwyer wasn't at fault

Based on the above three facts that actually matter I think that it was unfair to give him jail time. If it hadn't been for the plea I think jail time would have been on the table.

Taking into account the fact that doesn't really matter, I think this was pretty unfair. He should be punished, this should be a black mark against his reputation, but I think jail time after a plea bargain was underhanded.

Completely irrelevant:
    Ted Kennedy killed a chick, and he was at fault. No jail time for him. No black mark against him.

Dwyer is strong on gun-rights, so I would still vote for him, but the man has made mistakes, and he's going to pay for them. That's just how it is.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

He was 3x the limit by the way.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    he should of been able then to withdraw his plea.

Was he wrong for DUI ? most certainly

Was he found to be at fault ? nope the other guy was at fault

Not condoning what he did just seems overboard when his actions were to prevent the accident .

Wonder with this and him admitting to being an alcoholic will he be considered an habitual drunk come 10/1?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    The perception looks bad here. The judge needs a good explanation to maintain public confidence in not being biased. If not, many of us will assume justice is not blind.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    In other news: Democratic politician molests little boys - gets probation and an Oprah book club deal.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I like Dwyer, but I have no problem with this sentence. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. It could have been my kids out on that river. Thank God there were no serious injuries. Everyone who does something like this ought to be punished at least as harshly.

:thumbsup:

Agreed. He's lucky he didn't get nailed to the wall for this one. I am sure there will be a civil suit from it. The other guy involved in the accident is pissed!

Fact is, he did drink and pilot a boat. That is illegal and there are consequences. I doubt I would have gotten treated as fairly as he has. Sucks for him, but these are the breaks!
    kurtisblow_breaks.jpg

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I just read this and felt the same:

He got hit while drunk
    Would he have been in trouble if he was (D)
    What's the judge's history of sentencing in similar cases? (He said he felt it was a slap on the wrist not to give him time, how many other 1st time BUI/DUI cases did he do the same?)

Such a broken system in Maryland. Oh and if those were my kids, I wouldn't have been tubing in a crowded channel nor would I have banked left when the rule is to go Right.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It was damn irresponsible and a shame.
    He deserves to be sentenced as any of us would under the same circumstances.

I have no sympathy for those that operate under the influence. It doesn't matter who he is. We all talk about prosecuting criminals and in this regard, Dwyer was a criminal.

I say this as a Dwyer supporter and am thankful we have him on our side.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Agreed. Dwyer is a great friend to us in the General Assembly, but no one is above the law. Do the crime, do the time.

I'll play "devils advocate" for a moment.He (Dwyer) was hit by another vessel,if he had not been hit,would he have been caught BWI? I'm not condoning what he did,but seems they're making an example of him,while DNR/CG are issueing citations all the time for same thing. (flame suit on).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    He should get whatever anybody else would, if DNR caught them boating drunk. Accident should not enter into it.

Agreed. I would like to see the judges usual sentence in such a matter. MD being MD, I'm expecting this was a sentencing anomoly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom