• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I sacrificed a box of ammo yesterday for the purpose of trying out a new member to the HG collection. I was somewhat surprised to find a considerable amount of brass in the "brass bucket" as well as some scattered in the un-sweep-able" parts of the range. Shot fifty rounds and came home with half a 10lb. (size) paper nail bag full.:D

I guess I kinda thought everyone would be more conservative in these times. Lucky me huh?:cool:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I do the same. Once I got 300 pieces of Lapua match .223 brass from one bucket.

So get this... I was at the range and wrangled up my expensive brass. Put it in a bucket so no one would take it, and went to take a leak. When I came back it was gone! :mad54:

:lol2:

Nice score!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I seem to lose 20-25% of my brass every time I go to the range. I know a lot of it falls in front of the firing line and they don't let you sweep it back to pick up, which really pisses me off when it is hard to find like .38 Super. I'm finding if you don't pick up your brass every nag or 2 the employees are sweeping it into no man's land, like they don't want you to pick it up.

Slick17

Aug 10, 2012
    Frederick
    It's b/c they would rather you leave it there. I know that Cresap Rifle Club saves it and then takes it to the local scrap. Last time they went I think they got like $1400 for all the brass.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I seem to lose 20-25% of my brass every time I go to the range. I know a lot of it falls in front of the firing line and they don't let you sweep it back to pick up, which really pisses me off when it is hard to find like .38 Super. I'm finding if you don't pick up your brass every nag or 2 the employees are sweeping it into no man's land, like they don't want you to pick it up.

Freestate will sell you a 5gal bucket full of range sweepings for around 80 bucks I think, its about what they get from the scrapper.

Assuming its mixed rifle/pistol brass, that is probably like 5-7k pieces of brass.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's b/c they would rather you leave it there. I know that Cresap Rifle Club saves it and then takes it to the local scrap. Last time they went I think they got like $1400 for all the brass.

All ranges want to keep your brass but they don't have to give you the stink eye for picking your up. It's the expensive hard to get stuff that I really hate losing. I's just like to be able to pull mine back from in front of the line. I only take what's mine. Of course some people abuse things so it hurts everyone.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Freestate will sell you a 5gal bucket full of range sweepings for around 80 bucks I think, its about what they get from the scrapper.

Assuming its mixed rifle/pistol brass, that is probably like 5-7k pieces of brass.

Not a bad deal. Didn't know that.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America

When did they start doing this? Who do i need to talk to and is there a limit?

jwmd

bigger is better
    Mar 24, 2012
    Sumter, South Carolina
    just bought a brass catcher hope to solve some of my missing brass..it was a hand held,,,for 27 bucks..also have a sw99/.40sw that flings brass over 2 lanes ..

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    When I shoot at the indoor range I belong to I always pick up my brass I can reach before the staff sweeps it all down range. I hate when they do that.
    Whenever I am at other ranges, I pick up all the good brass I can get, even for calibers I don't shoot. It will be good karma or trading material down the road.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

I've never heard of ranges "scrapping brass", except for the military and police and government owned ranges. Its always worth more as formed cases than it is worth as scrap.

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    Just a tip always grab a broom and head for the last lane on your right. It's always worth the wait if you have to.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I forgot to add:

Attachments

• brass.jpg
      brass.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 420

f1racecar

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2011
    Havre de Grace
    What burns me is the other shooters picking up my brass as fast as I shoot it. Sometimes my fried will police each others brass as we fire.

:)

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I almost got into a fight a few weekend ago with another member, about who was going to sweep up the brass from another shooter and take it home.

I started to think how funny this was turning into and let the other guy have the brass.

I really need lead anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom