Would We Actually Need To Register Our Firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    This is true, LE can already tell if you have handguns or ARs/AKs by consulting their database. Which is why this is a pointless law, LE already knows who they are dealing with, those who support this are either ignorant of this fact or want to intentionally burden firearms owners with unconstitutional fees and taxes to exercise their 2A rights.

I am under the impression that registration information only gets added to the databases when an FFL is involved in a transfer. I believe that it is legal to transfer a gun in-state to an eligible person without using an FFL and no paperwork of any kind is required in those kinds of transfers. For example, you can buy a rifle and give it to your dad as Christmas gift. Your dad can then trade it to someone else in-state for TV. That guy can then sell it to his neighbor. The neighbor can then sell it to a guy he met in the parking lot of Chik-fil-a, and so on. As long as an FFL doesn't become involved in a transfer a firearm can change hands an indefinite number of times with the only registration information being entered by the initial sell. At least I think that is the way it works.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Prohibition ended due to non-compliance....

fight the good fight. A right is not something given by men, but by our Creator. 2A is a RIGHT

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am under the impression that registration information only gets added to the databases when an FFL is involved in a transfer. I believe that it is legal to transfer a gun in-state to an eligible person without using an FFL and no paperwork of any kind is required in those kinds of transfers. For example, you can buy a rifle and give it to your dad as Christmas gift. Your dad can then trade it to someone else in-state for TV. That guy can then sell it to his neighbor. The neighbor can then sell it to a guy he met in the parking lot of Chik-fil-a, and so on. As long as an FFL doesn't become involved in a transfer a firearm can change hands an indefinite number of times with the only registration information being entered by the initial sell. At least I think that is the way it works.

Only with unregulated weapons.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    not entirely true. information like this is very sensitive. no officer can pull up your guns on his KDT on his way to a call. its investigative stuff, IE not your average day, and cant be accessed on a whim like we all think.

Unfortunately, the fact that they can access it AT ALL is the problem...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Exactly.. some remember the interview with MSP detective when application for
    permit. There are a few here that this is still pending. So all the background, finger printing
    paperwork on what we had at the time. My MSP detective said he "knew" what I have.
    point is he didn't know what I brought into the state 20 years ago.

Nostromo

Jan 15, 2013
    PG County
    Um.. Remember.. If you used ffl in md.. It's already considered registered. ;)

Let's say hypothetically, someone bought all their guns while living in another state and then moved MD. MD law officials wouldn't have any record of said guns, now would they?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Let's say hypothetically, someone bought all their guns while living in another state and then moved MD. MD law officials wouldn't have any record of said guns, now would they?

Lets say hypothetically, someone bought all their guns out of the trunk of someones car down in the alley behind the warehouses. MD law officials wouldn't have any record of said guns, now would they?

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville

This is true, and the info LE has is only from the FFL sales in MD. From what I've seen, if you transfer a regulated weapon via MSP barracks, the info is not updated. I've seen that under my name I still own an AK that I sold and transfered back in 2009 and do not own a handgun that was transfered to me in 2011, in both cases the paperwork was done at different MSP barracks.

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    This is true, and the info LE has is only from the FFL sales in MD. From what I've seen, if you transfer a regulated weapon via MSP barracks, the info is not updated. I've seen that under my name I still own an AK that I sold and transfered back in 2009 and do not own a handgun that was transfered to me in 2011, in both cases the paperwork was done at different MSP barracks.

Well that's good to know. I need to figure out what I am going to do with my regulated guns if SB0281 and whatever else Annapolis has planned is passed.

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    Slightly confused here....
    A felon is committing a crime just by having a gun. Why would they care about registration?

You're not the only one who's confused. Consider this:

Under the earlier law, the one this bill amends, the AR-15 HBAR is not an "assault weapon", and is not subject to the waiting period or background check. It's a cash-and-carry sale at any gunshop. That language remains unchanged.

But SB281 defines rifles by features, and declares them assault weapons which must be registered. So where does that leave an HBAR owner?

And what about someone who previously bought one of these rifles under Maryland's seven-day waiting period and background check? Is that rifle still registered? Or must it be re-registered? Is it prohibited to transport it?

Intentions aside, this bill is very poorly worded and very confusing.

When we do our paper work for registerd firearms , isn't this all the registration they need ?,,,, why would we need to re-register our regulated firearms ? Any input would enlighten many people here , I'm sure ..thanks in advance for your 2 cents....

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    So what happens if some one who's perminate residence is not the state of md but lives here for work. And owns firearms that they brought into the state. Let's say
    1-AR
    1-13 round xdm
    1-single stack 1911

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    Doesn't it say some thing about re registering every five years at a cost of 100.00 for each firearm or some crap like that.

When we do our paper work for registerd firearms , isn't this all the registration they need ?,,,, why would we need to re-register our regulated firearms ? Any input would enlighten many people here , I'm sure ..thanks in advance for your 2 cents....

LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    How would this "crap" affect military on orders here in MD?

It really sucks. Even worse is my home of record is California, I have not lived there in 15 years, I hate feeling my vote does not count. At least my district is Duncan Hunter, California 50th district, republican forever(20 minutes outside San Diego).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    How would this "crap" affect military on orders here in MD?

It really sucks. Even worse is my home of record is California, I have not lived there in 15 years, I hate feeling my vote does not count. At least my district is Duncan Hunter, California 50th district, republican forever(20 minutes outside San Diego).

Move somewhere else, and do yourself a favor, change your home of record to a place where your vote will count.

LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    Move somewhere else, and do yourself a favor, change your home of record to a place where your vote will count.

I have been considering it. I feel good that my district has been republican forever yet hate that there is now way my senator and governer will ever be somewhat conservative. My dad now lives in Florida and I could easily change to that.

I plan on retiring to Montana/Idaho/Wyoming and buy some acreage so I can sit on a hill and shoot my guns... I guess I could get a PO Box somewhere there too...

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I guess I am a little confused how this differs from the MSP paperwork we've already done, and the annoying 7-day wait. I am assuming it is because the current paperwork doesn't differentiate to the degree they would like it to?

And I agree it sounds like a round-up list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom